Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to promote prog with a short clip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to promote prog with a short clip?
    Posted: December 17 2021 at 11:19
So, I stumbled upon this clip that somehow should celebrate the 25 years of DPRP's existence... I'm still reading the DPRP (Dutch Progressive Rock Pages) regularly, and so since it's beginnings. For me it was the logical follow-up of the Dutch Sym-Info magazine and SI Magazine (followed, if I remember well by IO-pages...). DPRP came when those others disappeared and was at the same time rather representative, in my humble opinion, of the prog metal take-over of prog. This clip is for me just an illustration of that and I would never have been drawn into prog if this was to convince me:

Nobody has, of course, to share my prejudices on this, but somehow I feel that this clip does not really do justice to prog... Next question could be: is a short clip capable at all to  reflect all the diversity and richness of prog? But then the returning question could be: is heavy prog/prog metal really representative of what prog is nowadays? The debate is open...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 11:50
Absolutely. Prog has evolved, started in the late 80's. Much more metal influenced then before. I have embraced the change and like modern prog as much as classic prog. 2019 was the best year for prog, imo.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 12:49
Thanks, Will, for your reaction. I personally didn't embrace this particular change that much, but when I see all the subgenres here on PA and all new music being produced outside the heavy-prog/prog-metal subgenres that are (apparently, sometimes even to my surprise) considered prog, I don't think this clip is very representative of all that. And, if I'm not mistaken, your musical preferences are also more eclectic than this clip could suggest, no?

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 12:57
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Absolutely. Prog has evolved, started in the late 80's. Much more metal influenced then before. I have embraced the change and like modern prog as much as classic prog. 2019 was the best year for prog, imo.

I think you mean prog started in the late 60's. Prog metal started in the mid to late 80's though if that's what you meant. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 13:00
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Thanks, Will, for your reaction. I personally didn't embrace this particular change that much, but when I see all the subgenres here on PA and all new music being produced outside the heavy-prog/prog-metal subgenres that are (apparently, sometimes even to my surprise) considered prog, I don't think this clip is very representative of all that. And, if I'm not mistaken, your musical preferences are also more eclectic than this clip could suggest, no?

Even though I'm no longer "young" I still have a lot of listening to do as far as prog and music in general goes. However, my favorite stuff will probably always be symph prog or prog that is similar or has at least qualities of traditional prog. I don't need mellotrons and synth solos up the wazoo all the time but I like variation and stuff that does more than just sing songy stuff. I can hear plenty of that outside of prog. So as long as there's modern bands who are at least somewhat influenced by Yes, Genesis, Camel, PFM, Jethro Tull, ELP, Pink Floyd, Rush, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, etc then I'll be a happy camper.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 17 2021 at 13:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 13:03
I agree, the clip isn't a very good representation of what prog is. It's kind of cheesy. Maybe that's the best DPRP can do. It would most likely need to be over an hour long to include all the faucets that are prog. But overall, prog has gotten heavier and I don't see it changing course.

Off topic, do you recall the DPRP Polls every year? They were awesome, and now they have vanished from the website. Bummer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 13:05
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think you mean prog started in the late 60's. Prog metal started in the mid to late 80's though if that's what you meant. Wink
That is correct. Sorry for the confusion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 13:21
I don't think the video was meant to be too serious. I think they did a decent job at it though for what they were trying to accomplish.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 13:54
^ No, I don't take it very seriously, but at the same time it is how they want to represent the prog they represent, apparently... and then, I think it is not very representative... Wink

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Off topic, do you recall the DPRP Polls every year? They were awesome, and now they have vanished from the website. Bummer.

Oh, vaguely... Yes, some other interesting things have disappeared with their site rehash, unfortunately. Those polls were indeed quite interesting, maybe because they also showed a bit more diversity...

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 17:50
I don't think you can have a short clip to fully represent all that prog encompasses. Maybe a small glimpse, but that's it. 
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2021 at 19:49
The clip is sort of OK, but, yeah, doesn't really seem to be great for generating prog-interest.  There are a few other vids on YouTube that are better. 

Makes me wonder what a PA promotional vid might look like. Seems like it could be a thing if anyone wanted to put it together. (There are a couple "Prog Archive" channels on Youtube; not sure if they are actually sponsored by PA, or anyone here-from--They mostly have playlist-type content.)
Z
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 01:46
the clip is a thank you to that site, not a representation for what prog is. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 03:31
One of the major things that attract me to prog is that prog often takes time to let the music flow, to develop themes etc. The classical influence and the psychedelic/jazz influence if you want.
This will be lost in a short clip no matter what it is. So no, it can't be done. Given that this is so, I don't think the clip is too bad. As just a hommage to prog played by someone who uses a specific proggy style but gives nods to some others it works quite well. It should just not be understood as "representing prog" in any way.

Obviously also the avant-garde influence trying out something new and surprising is totally missing, and one could actually show that in a short clip, but anyway, we shouldn't expect too much.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 07:12
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

One of the major things that attract me to prog is that prog often takes time to let the music flow, to develop themes etc. The classical influence and the psychedelic/jazz influence if you want.

Hi,

Thank you. Was about to say that.

Until such a time as we come up with a better, AND more inclusive, definition for progressive and prog, I do believe that too much of it will be fan-driven, and for the most part also trend driven. So it's not a surprise that in this example, the metal side is seen since it is (more or less) the most visible thing these days, although my idea is that it has passed its time already, and someone trying to attract more fans with metal, is probably going down hill quicker with bad skis! We don't even really know what progressive/prog is, and our selections and choices are not even close most of the time!

The bigger/biggest issue of all, is that none of these folks are interested in a proper and complete definition, in order to help cement the music, and thus, everyone and grandma have a better idea of what the music is supposed to look like, and this is what will likely kill it all  ... we simply can't get along together and think our group is better than theirs!

It's a very scary thought and idea, but this fan-driven pulp-related idea of what music is, simply is not a good idea of it all, and prevents folks to help get it organized because their God is blue'r than our God, or green'r than their God.

The whole thing is just sick for me!

Edited by moshkito - December 22 2021 at 07:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply