Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Story of Serú Girán "Beatles of Argentina"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blood Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Story of Serú Girán "Beatles of Argentina"
    Posted: December 19 2021 at 11:42
Anyone here a fan of Serú Girán?

They're such a unique band, blending tango with Jaco Pastorious style bass playing as well as influence from British prog legends. 

This is one of my all-time favorite bands and I created Mini-doc on Charly Garcia's first two bands before getting to his third one, this incredible super group with David Lebon and Oscar Moro who were already famous for playing with many bands in Argentina. 

I'd appreciate your thoughts and if you tell me about your favorite bands from Argentina! Thank you so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IYHtM_-oQ&list=PLqyoYX2XbKbpL30r4ITwGzH9lwOackfdY&index=3
Music is my gospel and I preach with my picking hand. -Harry Chapin. Not prog but still cool. Haha

I make mini-docs on lesser-known classic prog acts.
http://SeansMusicHunt.com
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 12:32
Hey, here's a fan of Serú Girán, Charly García and all Argentine rock. Here, this band is considered the best and the most influential and important of all our music.

Not only because of the talent of the 4 musicians but also because of the meaning of the songs and the albums. Serú had its period of activity during almost all the Argentinean dictatorship that took place from 1976 to 1983, and Charly García was the musician who made the most of his fame to fight them with his message, art and peace. The songs had a double meaning so that they would not be censored and they tried to wake people up and let them know what was really happening outside, because those were terrible times. Charly García is an artist who should be recognised as one of the best in the history of rock music, but this will never be the case because music that is not in English cannot succeed on a global level or be recognised for its true level. Songs like "Cinema Verite", "A Los Jovenes De Ayer", "Eiti Leda" or "La Grasa De Las Capitales" are untouchable hymns of our music and we consider them superior.

There is a debate confronting Serú Girán with Pescado Rabioso, but generally Serú wins because of what it meant to the Argentine people at such a hard time. Charly confronted the leaders of the coup d'état by insulting them to their faces and has had to go through some really difficult times, but after all this was over, his music has risen to a level of recognition and he was for many years the most popular artist in South America.

I love all his music, but the 3 bands he had in the 70s (Sui Generis, Serú Girán and La Máquina De Hacer Pájaros) have unforgettable works full of message and feelings. I always invite everyone to listen to his wonderful music.
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 12:48
I never heard of them. I certainly must check them out.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 12:48
By the way, I can offer a list of the best bands (omitting the ones I named above) here for those who want to know more:

-Invisible
-Arco Iris
-Gustavo Cerati (solista)
-Color Humano
-Aquelarre
-Nexus
-M.I.A
-Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota
-Manal
-Sumo
-Pappo's Blues
-Riff
-Hermética
-Almafuerte
-Vivencia
-Cuero
-Septima Brigada
-Will I see you tonight?

Casablanca (1942)
Blood Wake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blood Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 23:57
Hey dude! Clearly by your picture we can tell you know the good stuff! Great list of bands!! Glad Invisible topped it!

Hope you'll checkout my mini-docs on those first three Charly bands, Next I will do Almendra and begin a new series on Spinetta and all his bands!
Music is my gospel and I preach with my picking hand. -Harry Chapin. Not prog but still cool. Haha

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2021 at 08:01
I'll see that! Spinetta is my favourite musician.
-Will I see you tonight?

Casablanca (1942)
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2021 at 08:05
Considering the hiatus between Sui Generis and Seru from a Lebon-centered perspective, I recommend his first three solo albums and the two ones with Polifemo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2021 at 08:11
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Considering the hiatus between Sui Generis and Seru from a Lebon-centered perspective, I recommend his first three solo albums and the two ones with Polifemo.

Right! How could I have forgotten Polifemo?
-Will I see you tonight?

Casablanca (1942)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2021 at 09:19
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

By the way, I can offer a list of the best bands (omitting the ones I named above) here for those who want to know more:

Hi,

I think I have to do a serious amount of listening. I would like to see a similar list for Brazil, so I have a better idea of what to listen. In Brazil, things kinda tend to end with Egberto Gismonti ... and the few things I have heard were not that great, but I never could decide if the real issue was that they were not recorded with slick materials like most of the American and European folks have been lucky to use!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blood Wake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blood Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2021 at 12:10
I have yet to listen to much of Polifemo and I only just learned about Egberto Gismonti when studying Seru Giran because they performed at the Monterrey Jazz Fest together as I mention in my video. 

I also LOVE "Nayla" by David, but being a Seru fan, one could assume that.

Post Reply Post Reply