Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour
    Posted: September 20 2022 at 07:19
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Many positive reviews popping up elsewhere about the live shows since Toronto, especially the DC show. I know some folks that went to that show and came away with more than positive vibes. Said the band sounded fantastic...

Hi,

The band, or even SW, has ALWAYS sounded fantastic on stage. You can check this out on many videos, and it was quite clear that they worked at making sure they sounded right, and good.

It made for a nice evening, and yeah, a positive vibe, even in the show that Richard was forced to do the music without his trusty Prophet 5 (took a spill on the airport and they could not fix it before showtime!) ... in 1999 ... in SF ... and while a roadie said they sounded terrible, I have to tell you that they sounded absolutely magnificent and that show should have been recorded for an album ... maybe a slightly different version of this or that, but still ... strong, and very well done!

My tastes, and experiences, however, died after seeing GONG three times and spending time with them on the 2nd go. Not that they did not sound right, or good in the show, but in the end, sometimes, their time has already showing signs of fading. I doubt this will be the case for PT, mostly because I really thought that the production values in the material on the new album were outstanding, and WAY BETTER THAN THE MUSIC ITSELF, which for me makes for a slightly fake thing. It took away the meaning of the whole thing to a less than important value!

I'll save my money ... thanks! Only one person I would love to see, and never will ... Peter Hammill with or without VdGG. Too late for Vangelis, and I doubt we will ever see Mike Oldfield in America! 

Edited by moshkito - September 20 2022 at 07:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2022 at 19:39
Many positive reviews popping up elsewhere about the live shows since Toronto, especially the DC show. I know some folks that went to that show and came away with more than positive vibes. Said the band sounded fantastic...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2022 at 05:25
Hi,

I'll gladly miss all this. I did not think that the material shown around from the new album was that great, or "better" than a lot of things out there ... and I think that many have confused the incredibly well recorded manner of the album, for the artistry of the songs that was not there.

The medium is NOT the message! PERIOD!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 12:33
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Wow, they blew me away live the other day. God-damn!!!!!Shocked

Excellent!! I see them in 2 weeks...

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 05:50
Wow, they blew me away live the other day. God-damn!!!!!Shocked
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 05:09
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Someone is laughing his arse off. 

To be fair, it is still able to be related back to SW, because he is quoted as saying halloumi is his favourite cheese. I have Grumpy to thank for that, as that is something about SW I never knew, and it is a fact that I am likely to now always remember.

Your welcome. I strive to entertain and educate.

More Wilson trivia. Two movies he enjoys are 12 Angry Men and The Exorcist. He's also a fan of The Carpenters.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 01:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Some is laughing his arse off. 

.....pull my finger....

Will it squeak like halloumi?
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 01:30

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Someone is laughing his arse off. 

To be fair, it is still able to be related back to SW, because he is quoted as saying halloumi is his favourite cheese. I have Grumpy to thank for that, as that is something about SW I never knew, and it is a fact that I am likely to now always remember.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 16:16

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Some is laughing his arse off. 

.....pull my finger....
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:47

Edited by Cristi - May 24 2022 at 16:17
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:45

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I've never tried it, but apparently it's a squeaky cheese. Steven should make a concept album about it.

Concept album for sure.  LOL

Very informative. Thanks! I've never tried it either. Article says it tastes similar to Mozzarella. 

It doesn’t taste like mozzarella to me, but I guess taste can be subjective and individual.

I do love halloumi, though. I prefer it hit to cold, bland prefer it fried to grilled, but I’ll eat it however. You can get halloumi “fries” at places like McDonalds and Burger King these days. It used to be a cheese not many knew about, but now it is fairly ubiquitous.

I first found out about it when I holidayed in Cyprus. I’d never heard of it before, but it was love at first bite!

Man, I'd love to go back to Cyprus. I only went there once during my 2018 deployment, but the food there was so good... including some of the best grilled lamb chops I've ever had Big smile

Edited by Necrotica - May 24 2022 at 15:45
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:03

I've never tried it, but apparently it's a squeaky cheese. Steven should make a concept album about it.

Very informative. Thanks! I've never tried it either. Article says it tastes similar to Mozzarella. 

It doesn’t taste like mozzarella to me, but I guess taste can be subjective and individual.

I do love halloumi, though. I prefer it hit to cold, bland prefer it fried to grilled, but I’ll eat it however. You can get halloumi “fries” at places like McDonalds and Burger King these days. It used to be a cheese not many knew about, but now it is fairly ubiquitous.

I first found out about it when I holidayed in Cyprus. I’d never heard of it before, but it was love at first bite!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 14:54

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 14:30

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 12:40

The thread title is Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour.

Anyway, Steven Wilson's favorite cheese is Halloumi. Anyone ever had Halloumi cheese? Wink

Honestly, every day is a school day. For some reason I thought SW was a vegan, so I thought Grumpy was just joking about the Halloumi.

Thanks for the education, Mr Grumspsta! It is appreciated. I guess that’s my something new for the day. 🤗

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 11:44
For those interested in Nate Navarro (touring bassist with SW) here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/c/NathanNavarro/videos
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 11:25
Oh, yes, I see. I guess I assumed he was the OP, since he was the first person to moan about this being off-topic.

And, of course, moaning about it being off topic is what caused it to become off topic.

Also, I brought it back on track, but you ignored that.

Give me your best sizzling SW moment. Go!

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 11:02

and now it's off topic! Disapprove

Have you not been paying attention? Grumpy brought up halloumi on the previous page, and as he is the OP, the topic is in his hands. Or under his grill, potentially? Grilled halloumi is also nice. But I do prefer to fry it. I love to hear that sizzle!

Now sizzle - is that ever a word you associate with SW? Have you ever thought that any PT or SW music is sizzling? I can think of some sizzling prog, but as much as I might like PT and SW, I wouldn’t call any of the music sizzling. Cheesy, perhaps. But not sizzling.

Also, derailment is fine, because PT had that song about trains, so going off the rails is kind of keeping on track…

He's not the OP.

Let's get back on topic. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:58

Have you not been paying attention? Grumpy brought up halloumi on the previous page, and as he is the OP, the topic is in his hands. Or under his grill, potentially? Grilled halloumi is also nice. But I do prefer to fry it. I love to hear that sizzle!

Now sizzle - is that ever a word you associate with SW? Have you ever thought that any PT or SW music is sizzling? I can think of some sizzling prog, but as much as I might like PT and SW, I wouldn’t call any of the music sizzling. Cheesy, perhaps. But not sizzling.

Also, derailment is fine, because PT had that song about trains, so going off the rails is kind of keeping on track…

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>