Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour
    Posted: December 22 2021 at 13:10
Porcupine Tree new album Closure/Continuation will be released in June 2022.  European tour dates start October 2022.  New single/video Harridan released  Big smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW5v4Ohxk5k&list=PLzhfgETbPF7g8XBkZHFnmLnkfckqctrXD

Already got my tickets for Amsterdam.  Didn't think they would have a reunion.   
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 19:54
Originally posted by Audion Audion wrote:

Porcupine Tree new album Closure/Continuation will be released in June 2022.  European tour dates start October 2022.  New single/video Harridan released  Big smile

Hi,

I noticed that Colin is not on the pictures for the show ... I would imagine that the band will use Nick Beggs since his ability is probably better suited to help the band other than just bass guitar playing ... but you already know it will sound different. 

I thought the single was more of a SW song, than something that PT would do ... which had more trippy long stuff and pieces, which I think SW will do away with for PT as he did in their last 3 or 4 albums. But Colin not being there ... you might see why ... one thing he released was very interesting, but I seriously doubt many PT fans will ever touch it ... it was jazz'y as heck and I doubt that SW wants anything to do with that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 10:23
Originally posted by Audion Audion wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW5v4Ohxk5k&list=PLzhfgETbPF7g8XBkZHFnmLnkfckqctrXD

I have the new album on pre-order.......Hoping for a US tour, SW loves Seattle so I'm hoping they make it here. I am fine with Nick Beggs, he's a monster bass player and already tours with SW solo material and they play PT material also.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 10:22
I really want to hear and see them, so I hope they come to South California.
Michael919 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Michael919 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2022 at 17:05
Is anyone else going to ignore all the single releases in order to take in the whole album at once in June? It's going to be hard, but that's my plan! I've waited this long, what's another 6 months?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2022 at 20:42
Hi,

Honestly, with so much new music coming around, waiting for Godot to come home with some coffee, I'm not sure that it will happen, and we're adding more "hope" this or that to it, than it's worth the thought or idea.

I am of the opinion that SW can not do PT anymore. He will do another version of SW and the PT folks that are coming along, are merely along for the ride ... with the free money they get! I can't blame them, but feeling they will come up with something like they did 20 years ago, is really a drag for me ... there isn't a band out there that has done that ... other than Djam Karet in my book, still creative and different after all these years!

For SW, and PT in its latest form (their last 3 or 4 albums) it was all about SW's songs, and the tripping, and far out moments the band had which was the stuff that we liked the most, was pretty much gone in favor of "more lyrics" that supposedly mean something and are important. More like self-important, I would think, and that's his role in the rock music world. I'm OK with that, but don't expect me to spend a cent when there is so much great music that ... we're not listening to ... because of things like this!

We've lost the sense of adventure in progressive music. All we can do is look for the second coming ... of someone or other!

Edited by moshkito - January 06 2022 at 20:42
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 01:08
Originally posted by Michael919 Michael919 wrote:

Is anyone else going to ignore all the single releases in order to take in the whole album at once in June? It's going to be hard, but that's my plan! I've waited this long, what's another 6 months?

It’s what I always do these days. The last time I listened to a single ahead of an album’s release was SW’s “Permanating”, which I thought was dire when I heard it. I didn’t listen to any of the other “To The Bone” singles, and only listened to the album after I read a review that stated how much the reviewer hated “Permanating” when it was released as a single, and lamented it’s choice as a single because they felt it worked incredibly within the album itself. The reviewer stated that it went from a hated to a loved song once heard within context. I gave “To The Bone” a listen, and I really liked it.

Ever since, I have always ensured to ignore pre-release singles, and I only ever listen to those singles once I have the album, so that I can hear them in context. I thought it would be hard, but it has actually been really easy. There is always so much to listen to, that I don’t need to hear individual songs ahead of an album.

Would I have liked the singles released from SW’s “The Future Bites” if I heard them outside the context of the album? I don’t know - but I do know that TFB is probably my favourite SW solo album. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So, I’m probably one of only a few PT fans who are eagerly awaiting the new album, but haven’t yet listened to the new single.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 09:01
Originally posted by Michael919 Michael919 wrote:

Hi,

I think this is sort of like the old days in the 60's when the singles came out, and if they hit some reasonable thoughts and numbers, the record company would immediately work an album to try and maintain the momentum.

I think that SW has a lot of different choices and ideas, and is not clear what he wants or doesn't want, and if the single confuses people, or they love it, it takes away 5 other choices he might have had.

Honestly, if you have to go fishing to figure out what you want to do, or need to do, he's just fishing for more money ... just like the old days! Good gawd ... 60 years ... and still the same folks and ideas! Where has progressive gone? To the cows and pastures! Maybe some milk will come!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 13:23
US/Canada/Mexico/Chile tour dates added a few days ago. Sadly for me no Seattle date but will be going to the San Francisco show in September. I bought tixs this morning on the pre-sale, public sale I think is Friday 3/11/22. I was shocked at the ticket prices Shocked, SW solo tours have been in the $40-$50 range and I've seen him 3x. Porcupine Tree prices are 3x that at minimum, I could have gotten 2nd row seats but those were $400/ea...Cra-cra!
Settled for front row balcony section, very happy!! Thumbs Up

Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 14:31
Interesting....their ticket presale page states "PRE-ORDER 'CLOSURE / CONTINUATION' FROM THIS STORE TO ACCESS PRE-SALE TICKETS"......I pre-ordered CL/CO on vinyl back in early November 2021 from Burning Shed.  It would be rather greasy of them to not likewise honor preorders by us who did so earlier.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 14:45
Originally posted by Disconnect Disconnect wrote:

Interesting....their ticket presale page states "PRE-ORDER 'CLOSURE / CONTINUATION' FROM THIS STORE TO ACCESS PRE-SALE TICKETS"......I pre-ordered CL/CO on vinyl back in early November 2021 from Burning Shed.  It would be rather greasy of them to not likewise honor preorders by us who did so earlier.

Agree, but underneath that statement is a link to a "no purchase needed" link. You should have received a pre-sale code as well if you signed up at PT.com
I also pre-ordered last year......
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 15:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Agree, but underneath that statement is a link to a "no purchase needed" link. You should have received a pre-sale code as well if you signed up at PT.com
Yes, but with that link, you have to give them your email and sign up to the mailing list just to get pre-sale tickets. Unhappy BS, big time. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 15:55
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Yes, but with that link, you have to give them your email and sign up to the mailing list just to get pre-sale tickets. Unhappy BS, big time. 

Most bands are like that for pre-sale codes, either that or you have to actually pay and join the band fanclub....that's how Iron Maiden does it if you wanna get pre-sale code.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 16:07

Most bands are like that for pre-sale codes, either that or you have to actually pay and join the band fanclub....that's how Iron Maiden does it if you wanna get pre-sale code.
My memory is not excellent, but I don't remember Rush ever doing that.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 16:23

My memory is not excellent, but I don't remember Rush ever doing that.

They never did, just had to beat the computer bots for good seats.....
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 00:47
New song released:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 06:44
^Odd song. The segue between the mellow and heavy part sounds forced to me. As if they are two different songs. Sounds like PT we have heard before.

Other thoughts?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 07:24

Sounds like PT we have heard before.

Yeah... I think it's solid, OK, not outstanding, but for sure nothing that puts me off that album. I don't think it sounds forced, to me it's organic enough, but then nothing special either.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 09:02
Fantastic news for sure! As for this song, I am not as crazy about it as I was for 'Harridan' which was a much more interesting listen.
Hopes are still very high for the upcoming new release.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 12:50
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Fantastic news for sure! As for this song, I am not as crazy about it as I was for 'Harridan' which was a much more interesting listen.
Hopes are still very high for the upcoming new release.
I think the song is OK as well, I do enjoy Harridan quite a lot, looking forward to hearing that one live. I can only expect with all the pent up anticipation for new PT over the past 10 years that this album will be a pretty big seller.

What will be interesting to me, although I am sure I know the answer, is whether Steven Wilson wrote all the music? He has been stating that he was not interested in new PT album unless the other members were going to contribute much of the music creation. Without Colin Edwin, I assume he has done all the writing.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>