Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I did a book report on The Human Equation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I did a book report on The Human Equation
    Posted: December 26 2021 at 09:10
Yep, I did a book report on Ayreon's masterpiece The Human Equation. The teacher said it is more important to her to see my writing than to know that I have read the book, so I asked her if I can make the book report project based on the lyrics of a musical album, and she said yes. How cool is that?? it had made the process so much fun (plus listening to the album as "homework"). What can I say... Prog fricking rules!!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 09:36
So I hope you can explain the story to me...LOL

Have you seen "the Theathre Equation"? Time ago the whole opera was available on youtube but I think it has been removed.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 10:15
 I haven't seen it, but I do heard about it. I don't know... It's a bit weird for me to see some of the actors dressed like some kind of pirates or whatever...

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 12:04
Good for you. It was quite clever what you did, hopefully we’ll get to read your report.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 12:06
Originally posted by yogev yogev wrote:

I haven't seen it, but I do heard about it. I don't know... It's a bit weird for me to see some of the actors dressed like some kind of pirates or whatever...

That guy is the growler of Day Sixteen
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 12:07
The worst thing, the only bad thing, IMO, is when Arjen Lucassen appears at the end of the performance from inside a shell, like Botticelli's Venus. I find it very ridicolous. For the rest is good enough.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 12:47
The Human Equation is an opera, written strictly by handbook. And libretto of an opera is a literacy genre per se, therefore you teacher let you homework of something classcial. Well, prog is older than we think.  
yet you still have time!
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 02:29
hey, I have to make another book report... and no one wants to make a book report about books (just kidding)... so if you have maybe a good idea for rock operas/concept albums that's would be nice.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 02:34

hey, I have to make another book report... and no one wants to make a book report about books (just kidding)... so if you have maybe a good idea for rock operas/concept albums that's would be nice.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 02:53
or this one Tongue
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 10:29
The Human Equation is an excellent choice for a report. I think it's the deepest of Ayreon's albums and is loaded with plenty of material for observation and commentary. When I think of progressive music, I am amazed how much of the material boils down to an exploration of the human condition. I'm a college professor and would be thrilled to read what you came up with.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 11:10

Seriously, if you loved the Ayreon, give some real thought to Vanden Plas' Abydos project from 2004, which was written as a Rock Opera and also performed on stage...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 11:41
So, was it Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 11:56
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 11:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

So, was it Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick?

not sure how that'll translate beyond the Channel, Steve..
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2022 at 07:28
Hi,

Growing up in a house full of literature ... I knew way before I got into music that there was a lot of great stuff in there, as well as some stuff that was not so great.

The same thing happens with a lot of music, and specially what is known as "progressive", although there are many other things that are not "progressive" that are also long sides and not given a lot of credit for anything but the idea/fact that it is rock music.

Reminds me of the early days of The Moody Blues, when they were using poetry and created a world that had you believing that there was more to these words, then just a bunch of letters. And they were fine until their "poetry" became jargon, and over rated comments on anything and everything. The poetry, or at least the Romantic side of it, was totally gone and replaced with 2nd rate crap.

Ayreon's piece is nice, but if you really want to stretch your imagination into what writers and creative people really do, you should tackle TFTO, or even better, tackle THE SNOW GOOSE, which has no lyrics but it would be a much better, and STRONGER exercise for you if you were able to explain the music as a MOVIE, or a VISUAL for all of us and/or your class.

Having the lyrics is kinda cheating, since they "tell you" what this is all supposedly about, which is a huge fallacy in rock music, btw, and you need to be aware of it ... sort of like a play in the theater ... on Friday it works, on Saturday it doesn't and on the Sunday matinee the kids are laughing ... and you have no idea why this happens and how the material can be "so different" each and every time!

I did, in my directing days, on a class on Opera Directing (with Peter Mark - Emeritus of the Virginia Opera), a movie version of Puccini's TOSCA, and when I lined it up in the blackboard, and examples, I explained the "visuals" as a MOVIE, which got Mr. Mark all excited, and he stated that I solved almost all the issues and problems that opera had on stage. And I, said ... let's get it done then! I can tell you that he was more worried about staging his wife's operas than doing a movie like version for TOSCA ... and nothing came out of that, but I have the script and notes from the class still! However, by that time I had seen the ETC LA MAMMA group and they did CARMILLA with simply a huge Victorian bed/couch, and the back window side of it was a very large movie screen ... so when the carriage moved you could see the background in the window changing, and far out stuff like that. 

In my directing days, the only "idea" I wanted was ... IT HAS TO BE REAL AND ALIVE. It's not an idea, and it's not a concept, and it is not based on a set. I loved the empty stages and did my best work on them!

Make a serious impression. What you did is a good thing, but it does not show an original view of the material and the words, since it is all "given" to you at the start, and you believed that the music and the words were right, and matched up perfectly. From an acting, and directing, point of view ... they are not quite that well matched, and could use some serious "directing" on stage to make the presentation better and stronger, rather than the stupid make believe thing that rock music tries hard to get all teenagers excited about!

Hope this helps, but kudos for doing that ... although I would have immediately suggested something better and stronger, not a high school version of a piece of music and lyrics, IN MY BOOK. 

Edited by moshkito - June 08 2022 at 07:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply