Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where to start cool discussion/debate over my blog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to start cool discussion/debate over my blog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjosoap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to start cool discussion/debate over my blog
    Posted: December 29 2021 at 04:51
Hi guys.

This post itself is not meant to be self-promotion so I apologise and please direct me in the right direction if this is inappropriate. 

I've just come to the main Prog Music Lounge as a start point, and my main goal in the end here is to share something some people might find cool, get something out of, and want to start debates about!

So I've spent the best part of this year doing a passion project, a blog where I'm counting down, and doing really in depth reviews of my favourite albums of all time, which are very Prog dominated. Here it is. https://hossalbumreviews.wordpress.com/

I'm really proud of it but lacking a bit of reach and not sure what to do next. Online communities are always my best bet for Prog bonding as my own life/setup/professions mean most of my friends are on the younger side (even compared to me at only 31) in Australia, which as you can imagine in 2021 in the first place, does not have any Venn Diagram overlap with passionate prog interest haha!

I've been having some great feedback, engagement and discussion on Reddit but I've recently left/deleted Reddit because, naturally, it is toxic and awful lol.

This post is not necessarily to have the chats yet, I'm mainly just asking, is this a cool project people would be interested in here and if so, where should I post about it?

Should I post reviews into the Lounge as they happen? Or should I go the Blogs/Reviews page? I'd assumed that but it mostly appears to be people just copying text directly.

I'm thinking I could post each review as a text block there like others do going forward, while including a link to the site itself? But meanwhile I've got a big backlog of content I'm keen to get out there to anyone interested.

Thanks

Edited by banjosoap - December 29 2021 at 04:52
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 05:04
Well, James, just taken a look at your site. Clearly a labour of love and something I would have liked to do excepting time is always against me.

My reviews on PA tend to the longer end of the spectrum. I like to discuss each track, lyrics, meaning, context and etc. Others do far shorter reviews. Neither is right or wrong. Your reviews on that site are extremely long, and clearly tend towards the blog discussion as opposed to a review.

My own feeling is that you should post reviews of albums under the relevant artist, but perhaps consider editing them a wee bit, and perhaps then start a blog here to discuss wider issues?

Traffic on PA is not what it was, in common with many similar websites, but it is still respected in the prog world, and you might want to start exploring and reviewing newer music. Get all that right, and you might qualify to be a collaborator here, which generally means your reviews are paid a bit more notice, respect, and artists will contact you to offer you their wares free to review.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
banjosoap View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjosoap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 05:28
Yeah makes sense. Thanks bud.

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

My own feeling is that you should post reviews of albums under the relevant artist

As in the standard review posts here on each individual album, like I've done before? Yeah I think so.

perhaps then start a blog here to discuss wider issues?

How do you do that?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 05:53
There is a blog section on the main forum. Simply start a new topic on there and blog away.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2021 at 10:23

There is a blog section on the main forum. Simply start a new topic on there and blog away.
My suggestion as well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply