Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are you listening to songs/tracks or albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you listening to songs/tracks or albums?
    Posted: December 30 2021 at 14:25

As I've seen it, the traditional way of listening to Prog has been listening to albums. Nowadays, I see people quite often talk about songs or tracks, so I wonder if there's a movement in direction to listening more to songs than albums.

How do you listen?
Does it make any difference if it's 40-50 min. albums og 60-70 min.?

Edited by David_D - December 30 2021 at 15:16
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 15:18
Albums all the way - regardless of the length I have to listen though from the opening track to the finale. The only way to listen to prog IMHO.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 15:46
That "movement" happened many years ago with iTunes and iPoods as well CDs, skipping around and only listening to certain tracks vs the whole album.

With more and more people getting into LPs (vinyl) your probably seeing more people listening to whole albums, regardless of genre, today.

I've always been a whole album listener, especially with progressive rock music. But all my music I play Side I, then I flip and play Side II....Sometimes I flip again and play Side III and IV, and V and VI Clap
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 15:47
Always albums.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 17:12
Albums, skipping the tedious/hideous tracks if any.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 17:20
I listen to song/tracks on the albums. 🤡
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 18:15
I do a little of both depending on my mood.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 18:20
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I listen to song/tracks on the albums. 🤡

- What do you read, my lord?

- Words, words, words.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 19:06
=What is the matter, my lord?

=Between who?
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 20:25
Both. Though I always listen to new music (new to me) as an album a few times first. If it isn't a non-album single, of course.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 21:03
Albums for me. Sometimes, time only allows me to listen to a song of two, but my preference is always the complete album experience.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 21:42
Mostly albums (on CD) on headphones. I try and really listen to them, not just put them on as background music. 

I very much prefer traditional ca. 40 minute album length. The only bad thing about CD is that you can fit too much music in it. 

When I'm not in album mood or don't have time, I'll listen to songs on youtube or sometimes bandcamp. 

Edited by Hiram - December 30 2021 at 21:46
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 02:02
I'm finding that in more recent times, with more music stored on hard drive, that I'm increasingly listening to tracks rather than albums. But this depends on how much time I have to listen to music, the music itself, and what I'm doing at the time.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 03:48
Albums where possible, especially when it comes to prog, as I generally assume that a prog rock album is meant to be taken as a whole, rather than broken down into individual tracks.

However, if time is short, or I'm not in the mood for a whole album, then I will dip into individual tracks on albums.

Horses for courses, but the whole album experience is the superior experience in my view (or should be when it comes to prog)
Songs cast a light on you
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 03:52
Albums in their entirety, usually.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 04:21
Albums 99% of the time 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 05:47
Usually whole albums, certainly in the afternoon whilst working from home. However, I do have a large number of playlists, which I will normally choose from on a Saturday evening whilst ironing in my dining room/study/music room - yes, my life really is that exciting!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 06:05
I always listen to albums and hardly ever listen to individual songs, and not only that, I always listen to entire discographies too before moving onto the next artist in my latest A-Z playlist. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 06:32
Hi,

Albums
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 08:08
Mostly albums I guess, but if there is one great song on an otherwise bad album, I see no reason to plague myself by going through it all. Good example: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. The title track is really great, but the songs in side 1 do almost nothing for me.

Edited by The Anders - December 31 2021 at 08:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>