Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant (Free Hand)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUVEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gentle Giant (Free Hand)
    Posted: January 09 2022 at 11:34
I will receive Gentle Giant - Free Hand album on Saturday with Blu-Ray + CD. I really did not know of this band in the 70's but pick out from record store the album "Playing The Fool" with double vinyl LP that still is in mint or near mint condition, still in a protective jacket for the album I bought in 1985. It seems "Freehand" well liked today.Hug Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 04:31
Probably their best album although I usually go with The Power and The Glory as that feels more 'complete' to me. By 1975, prog bands had pushed it to the limit and GG was no exception. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 04:49
It's excellent (and still only my eight GG-favorite out of their eight first albums).
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:18
I picked this up from a discount batch of LPs (a lifetime ago), and never had a regret at it.

Edited by Heart of the Matter - January 10 2022 at 06:18
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:38
I'm on a Gentle Giant marathon today, but given a Free Hand, I'm afraid I'm still not Acquiring the Taste for Gentle Giant by the time I've reached their seventh album. Confused
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:40
My favorite GG album. The Wilson surround mix of "On Reflection" is stunning. Enjoy.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 07:21
Doug Helvering did a Daily Doug episode on the entire Free Hand album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 17:10
I'd put that one near the middle ranking of their albums. Certainly strong and varied, though not as overtly prog as the first five albums. If not their most accessible album, certainly among the top three in that regard.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 17:13
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm on a Gentle Giant marathon today, but given a Free Hand, I'm afraid I'm still not Acquiring the Taste for Gentle Giant by the time I've reached their seventh album. Confused

But Gentle Giant certainly deserve all the Power and the Glory for such an excellent discog (well, barring some of the later ones). I'll bring Three Friends over to my place so I can introduce them to the band's music Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 18:20
Got this album for Christmas. Love it.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 07:50
My favorite Gentle Giant album!!!
The Prog Corner
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 01:47
An absolute masterpiece. I've been following them since the '70s and Free Hand is my favourite GG album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 04:04
Been a while since i gave it a listen, I will try and change that. Tongue
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 10:39
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I'd put that one near the middle ranking of their albums. Certainly strong and varied, though not as overtly prog as the first five albums. If not their most accessible album, certainly among the top three in that regard.
I agree.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:08
The Power and the glory and Free Hand are my favorites GG
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:13
If you have the opportunity , listen to their BBC recordings
Out of fire double CD

Totally of of ht woods one CD
and also :
The King Biscuit Flower Hour ( recorded in january 75 at the NYC Academy of music) one CD
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:13
Totally out of the woods*
 Post Reply Post Reply