Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Death of Journalisim ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Death of Journalisim ?
    Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:09
I thought I'd start up a thread for people to express their opinions of journalism in the new reality we all live in.
This is not meant to be a political thread, although I have no doubt it will contain posts of that nature at some point.
It may die quickly or it may provide a space for discussion on one of the most important things in our lives. The free, accurate and relevant presentation of information to the masses.

Allow me to begin...

This article has been promoted on several news websites I visit, and I have to ask...WHY? Why would I possibly care?
I haven't read it and I absolutely won't, but the headline alone just makes ms shake my head.
And yes...I get that online stuff has the "clickbait" factor that maybe print formats don't.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:22
A good journalist would report what Will Smith ate the day before he farted, how often he farts in public places, and maybe do some in-depth interviews with people close to him that are familiar with his farting. You know, like a 20-minute read so that I can get all angles of Will Smith's farts.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:29
Journalism is alive and well, and the running of stories like that in your example is based on supply and demand, although I don't know what news outlet that story is on?? I'm guessing it's not CNN or The Times

In the UK, one of the top stories is Novac Djokovic and his covid complications down under. I'm surprised anyone really gives a sh*t about that but apparently they do. Some weeks ago I wrote to the BBC and asked why they were not reporting the Ukraine/Russia standoff on the home page of their news site, or on pretty much any of their TV news progammes. I eventually got a reply which said they choose which stories to report on very carefully taking into account 'target audience'

In other words people do want to know people farting, who's going to be on Love Island and endless speculations about covid restrictions. In fairness most people wouldn't be able to find Ukraine on a map, or Russia for that matter, and don't really care anyway, whatever the implications.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 07:35
I only watch the first half an hour of the main news bulletin of FOX TV (Turkey) regularly. I also occasionally watch stuff on Tele1 (Turkey). They are good. Other than these, my main news source is Twitter. It is somewhat a random means to follow the news due to how I use the platform.

If you ask me, journalism has always been bad in a broad sense. The core was always the same and corrupt. We may now be seeing the "extremes" of the same core. Not a different type of journalism.

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 10 2022 at 07:37
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 08:15
"Farts don't care about your feelings" (Ben Shapiro's proctologist)

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 10 2022 at 08:19
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 08:30
Well while they sort of is regarded as the 4th estate of power, I don't think evwryone that stuys journalisme on collage and deliveres final exams and become fully and ready educated Journalists does not when hired furfill that duty one would assume the calling one could wish people of journaøistoc ambitions were seeking after. I often call the mainstreem journalisme a new name sensa-journalisme, a mix between sensasion and journalisme. The sensation of "news" rather then critical journalisme. So there are critical journalisme but it is overshadowed by shallow sensa-journalisme.

Edited by Icarium - January 10 2022 at 08:30
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 11:12
 Without going down the political road, news in general seems to have dropped it standards & plays more for entertainment then information. The morning shows are the worst. If your lucky you get 15 minutes of hard news at the top of the show followed by several hours of fluff & human interest stories.  At least that's how it is in the U.S. 

Edited by Argo2112 - January 10 2022 at 11:14
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 11:30
TV news in the US is not very good and I never watch it. There are some much better sources for news on the internet.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 11:47
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

If your lucky you get 15 minutes of hard news at the top of the show followed by several hours of fluff & human interest stories.

Or ads disguised as news stories.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 18:45
As a Brazilian, I can immediately relate to this. "Globo" is the biggest free-to-air channel around here (and unfortunately, the most professional one). Ever since the the election of president Jair Bolsonaro in late 2018, you can easily see how Globo journalists became heavily inclined into "knocking it out of the park" on their reports or posts, what is popularly known here as "cultura da lacração", particularly when a controversial subject comes into matter.

One such matter is public security and crime. As you may imagine, Brazil is a very unsafe country when it comes to thefts, assaults, etc. Organized crime here is quite strong and police forces here are viewed here with disdain by the majority of the population, which I firmly believe has been strongly influenced by the media (with nonsense like "the police only frame the poor" and etc, but of course in a way more discreet way, over the time since the end of the military dictatorship in 1985).

My point is: for example, whenever a group of thugs enter direct combat with police and one of them ends up dying (which is a rather common occurence, especially in large urban centers), journalists from Globo are always the first to act like "there was no need for this to happen, the "suspects" were victims of society [...]" and etc. Basically, a very progressist channel in essence. This kind of political position is, in my opinion, very harmful for our country's development.

PS: if the other way around happens, which is, a policeman dies, they wouldn't say absolutely anything about it.

Some of the people at Globo are highly supportive of Lula for the next president elections (which are gonna happen this year, in October). This is impossible to understand, since Lula himself said he plans to regulate the media if he is elected.

This (far) left dude already directed Brazil from 2003 to 2010 and has already been arrested for corruption. Unfortunately he was released from prison (which was actually a hotel room in a city called Curitiba) because our Supremo Tribunal Federal (Supreme Federal Court) is actually supportive of certain left-wing politicians, parties and other related figures, for a number of reasons. And yes, somehow his "political rights" weren't revoked and he's now back on game.

I apologize in advance, for envolving politics here, but these two themes are highly linked to each other at the current time here, being almost impossible to not quote one or another.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 22:35

One of my 'awakening' moments came when Ted Koppel, a respected old school reporter /journalist (and not an unqualified biased commentator) gave a profound farewell when Nightline was cancelled, (as not being entertaining enough) which perhaps was the igniting spark that ultimately created the media quagmire that we have today. There are barely any journalists anymore, even newscasters are now agenda-peddlers, audience sycophants and agitprop spokespeople. Serious stories do not sell, as the masses are interested mostly in lurid scandal, insults and image destruction.

When asked how he sees the future of journalism, he responded that, even though there is a lot of valuable and intelligent news programming left, the majority is dirge-driven, highly opinionated as well as totally biased. Many old school newsmen were impossible to unveil as left or right (re: Walter Cronkite). Fair balanced point of view. Journalism must be objective and not opinionated. Internet and its social media arm have become a weapon of mass destruction, or at the very least weapons of mass disinformation. Of the 5Ws, the where and the when are obvious and immediate, just like in a crime scene, these are the very first facts that need verification, the who and the what is a little harder but the 21st century masses have NO TIME for the why! It is too complex, takes too long and is open to interpretation. This is the crux of the problem.  He is correct 100% , IMHO. 

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 09:16
Hi,

It is my main thought that journalism will have to die, before the country (America) wakes up, and discovers that its democracy has gone crazy and is too ripped and stoned, to know the difference.

When public figures, openly, attack media folks for their opinion, instead of sitting down and "debating" their side of things, the view is that this is a sport where there is going to be a loser, and one American President did his best to make sure more people got "fired" from their jobs than anyone else, specially in the media area.

The "agendas" in America are out of control, and the lack of respect for anyone else opposing these, is even worse, and is shown very clearly in many different versions, and news reels. 

What is left? The farts and the rest of the non-news this and that, with the idea that I am betting that Will did this at the right time, when someone asked a bad question ... which to me would be the news that was not reported, and that journalist needs to go back to school, and work part time at McDonald's at minimum wage!

But as we get older, and most of us hate old folks, including musicians, farting becomes a natural thing that is rather hard to stop ... so what are we commenting on? 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hewitt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hewitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 12:06
In Britain the main threat to balanced, objective and serious news reporting are the attacks on the BBC currently being made by the Johnson Government and it’s supporters in the press (i.e. most of it). Not that the BBC is perfect, of course, but if it were to be abolished or restructured in any radical way, this would seriously impoverish quality news reporting in the UK.

Edited by Hewitt - January 15 2022 at 12:08
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 13:55
Yes. It's full of gossip, trivial, redundant, and dishonest, which is why legacy media is dying and why real journalists are starting their own channel, etc.. and it's why people check them out, because they probably enjoy a little bit of truth.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 14:23
The problem I see with that is, one independent journalist's reputation doesn't mean that much vs that of a large corporation. So the independent journalist has less at risk. With no real editor to check the work they could misrepresent their story or sources and if they are found out what's the worse that can happen? They end up at some extreme end rag or website spewing their crap for even more money?
Whereas a corporation could, and most likely would, be impacted financially by the loss of trust from the consumers.
Now that doesn't mean I'm against independent journalists, just that they may not have sufficient critical review stages that a major corporation outlet would have.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 09:37
We still have Glenn Greenwald, and Matt Taibbi, but for the most part, we have yellow journalism with nothing but trivial and gossip. But, TV media is dying off, which is great. But, I hope those with something to say use YouTube just as a launching pad with their home page - basically somewhere they can speak freely. I hope more good ones use the more popular sites just for free advertising, posting some of their videos/info on Rumbler, Twitch, and any other sites

Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 03:33

Miriam Margolyes claims Arnold Schwarzenegger deliberately “farted in my face”

Source: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/miriam-margolyes-arnold-schwarzenegger-farted-in-my-face/

Oh boy, farting is something. I wanna hear people farting all the time!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2022 at 15:05
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

In fairness most people wouldn't be able to find Ukraine on a map, or Russia for that matter, and don't really care anyway, whatever the implications.

Many still can't...

Basically, in the US, where I'm from, it went like this.

Democrats in 2005 - "I LOVE ASSANGE FOR TELLING THE TRUTH"
Democrats (present) - "I HATE ASSANGE FOR TELLING THE TRUTH"

(I'll never call them liberals.. We don't have too many. Certainly no viable left-wing; not since the 1930s)

Post Reply Post Reply