Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arubaluba meaning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arubaluba meaning?
    Posted: January 10 2022 at 18:02
The last song off of Camel's first album is Arubaluba. What does the word even mean? Dictionaries do not have it, neither do I. Maybe Andrew Latimer might know what it means?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 19:06
Is unifaun in the dictonary?
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 19:18
Aruba is an island. Maybe related?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 20:01
I have no idea. It'll be interesting to find out.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 20:30
It's a restaurant near Barcelona, Spain

Puntuación en las redes sociales:
4.2 / 10 Este valor se basa en el número de visitas, en el número de "checkins", y en el número de "likes" en Facebook en los últimos meses.

Rating on social media: 4.2 / 10 This value is based on the number of visits, the number of "checkins", and the number of "likes" on Facebook in recent months

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 07:46
Doubt the restaurant mentioned above is as old as the song.

If you separate the words it would look like this: Aruba Luba.

Depending on pronunciation it might actually be interpreted as "Aruba Lover", meaning a lover of or from the island of Aruba.

However, "Luba" is also the following according to the dictionary: "A member of a Bantu people inhabiting southeast Democratic Republic of the Congo."

You could also separate into more parts: A Rub a Luba. Depending on pronunciation, maybe "I rub a lover" or "I rub a Luba"? Not sure if I'm reaching here, though.

Go figure.

Edited by Tasartir - January 13 2022 at 07:49
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 08:07
^ a restaurant that's been around for 50 years in Europe?

Unthinkable!!!

Other than the Camel song, that is the only reference i can find to the term.

It could just be nonsensical.

Song titles don't have to mean anything.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 10:35
Given that Camel's actual lyrics on this album mostly give the impression of having been dashed off in five minutes...my money is on this not having been given a great deal of thought and probably not meaning a lot.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 20:14
I think it's something like a susudio.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 22:32
It’s a word jumble, or word scramble if you prefer. It’s fairly obvious to those who mix poetry with Sudoku.

It’s kind of like Sting’s album Ten Summoner’s Tales. His real name is Gordon Sumner. Think about it. That’s an easy one. That’s a Level 1. Arubaluba is more like a Level 6 puzzle.

Some of these Prog bands do love a good word play. They like to keep their fans on their toes. And, they’re intelligent and enjoy a good Pub Quiz. I’ll give you a hint. The longest word that is the same forwards and backwards is Malayalam, a language of southern India. You know? In the province where they do the snake boat races. Keep thinking. You’ve almost got it!
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 05:36
Abulabura?
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 07:27
A-what?

No, that’s not it, but you’re getting warmer.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 08:46
It occurred to me that “Arubaluba” might be an attempted vocalisation of the sound of one of the riffs in the song - not having heard it for many years. Listened to it again and I’m not hearing it though. Then again, it’s subjective and it wouldn’t be the first time I failed to hear something that others do.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 12:46
Ok, I’ll tell you. “r” is obviously code for “rest” in music … so that represents a space. Are you with me so far?

That leaves you with 2 musical words. Abba and luau.

In their travels, they met up with “Abba” at a “luau”

That is the meaning behind Arubaluba. The “Aruba” part is simply a red herring.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 14:09
The are resting at the luau which is the party and I suppose Abba is there. Dancing Queen! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 14:13
No, I mean the god Abba, not the disco group. I guess it is a ritual at a luau for Abba, and there is clever word play behind it too. Someone is being put to rest I guess as well.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 15:48
This meeting actually inspired two songs. One was Arubaluba, and the other was:

Happy Hawaii

Yeah … yeah … that’s the ticket!

Edited by Jaketejas - January 24 2022 at 16:02
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 15:51
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Aruba is an island. Maybe related?

It sounds like a fictive Caribbean something to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 19:49
Lunar Sea is called that because of the word lunacy meaning it makes the word Moonmadness. Earthrise sounds as if I was walking on the Earth. It also sounds as if it was rising. Supertwister is named after Supersister, which Camel toured with. Every track on Snow Goose was named after what is going on in the story. Sixate was a jam session that was probably done in 6/8. Then I think Ice is probably called that, because of I See Your House From Here.
Icee your house from here
Ice. 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 07:08
^ You are now a Level 4 Prog Cryptologist.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>