Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a consensus for "top" online radio?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altaeria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a consensus for "top" online radio?
    Posted: January 12 2022 at 13:50

Is there any consensus on which online Prog radio stations are the most popular?  
If not, can you suggest your favorite 3 online Prog stations?   

I am looking for something that resembles regular radio ...preferably with actual DJs/hosts... 
but plays Progressive Rock by all the familiar acts, plus old and newer lesser-known stuff.  

Does this even exist? 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 14:25
Gagliarchives claims to be the most popular globally but who knows. I also listen to Aural Moon and progrock.com
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 16:34
No. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 20:05
I have so much music in my colection, I don't listen to any radio. When somebody suggests a band/album/piece of music, I might follow the link to chek it out, but as a daily affair, I just listen to my CDs, mp3s, etc.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 20:22
I vote for Guy Guden's Space Pirate Radio! Clap
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 03:15
^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  
   thank you, Paul for your kindness.  you are a man of taste, style & distinction.  

https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 03:35
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  
   thank you, Paul for your kindness.  you are a man of taste, style & distinction.  

My pleasure! You play my kind of music. Thumbs Up
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 05:12
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I have so much music in my colection, I don't listen to any radio. When somebody suggests a band/album/piece of music, I might follow the link to chek it out, but as a daily affair, I just listen to my CDs, mp3s, etc.
100% THIS !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 07:29
I have four on my phone:

Prog Charts Radio
Delicious Agony Radio
Morow Radio
Voyage 35 Radio

I've never checked out:

Gagliarchives
Aural Moon
Space Pirate Radio

(But I'm going to seek them out now!!!)
The Prog Corner
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altaeria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 07:38

Yeah, I do that already... but I am kinda tired of hiding alone in a bubble.  
I'd like to find something that resembles a community experience.  
My local FM Rock stations are either all Foo Fighters/Pearl Jam or Fleetwood Mac/CCR.  Bleh.  
I usually end up listening to live sports talk, just to not feel completely isolated from the outside world.  

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 07:55
Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

Yeah, I do that already... but I am kinda tired of hiding alone in a bubble.  
I'd like to find something that resembles a community experience.  
My local FM Rock stations are either all Foo Fighters/Pearl Jam or Fleetwood Mac/CCR.  Bleh.  
I usually end up listening to live sports talk, just to not feel completely isolated from the outside world.  

There are chatrooms set up for the three I mentioned. There's certainly a core group in the chats regularly. Gagliarchives is actually South Jersey based.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 07:23
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  

My pleasure! You play my kind of music. Thumbs Up

Hi,

+2

Compared to other shows on the net, I'm not sure that you could consider Guy's show just a bunch of songs. It is much more than that, and the continuity is much more interesting, when it doesn't "come down" to something you know, in order to get your feet on the ground.

The nicest part? It's been like that for 48 years (birthday this month) ... and the only big difference between the shows now and those then? Guy used to play full sides of Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze and many others, and in this version, it appears this is not possible. I loved those long things in the middle of nowhere.

You never get that on any of the shows on the net, which are way too "radio top ten" oriented and calling them "progressive" is an aberration!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 16:16
Not a real radio but  Sound Chaser Progressive Rock Podcast hosted on PodOmatic and curated by The Professor is a weekly dose of the best prog rock there is.

Edited by fredyair - January 15 2022 at 16:17
Long live Progresive music!
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 16:28
House of Prog Radio with Marty Dorfman and the radio show The Waiting Room!
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 17:23
On occasion, ISKC Rock Radio.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 09:35
I've listened to Aural Moon, Delicious Agony, and Progrock.com. But I prefer to hear the music I choose instead of someone else choosing for me, so I gave up on radio a long time ago.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 11:15
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

I've listened to Aural Moon, Delicious Agony, and Progrock.com. But I prefer to hear the music I choose instead of someone else choosing for me, so I gave up on radio a long time ago.
Yes, and the fact that you probably got in your collection the albums you like the best, why would you want to listen to radio? 
I guess when it comes to discover a new band/artist, you might rely on radio, YouTube, Bandcamp, etc, but once you have the music, it's better to hear what you like, depending on the mood you're in.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 12:02
I'll give four instead of three.

1. Aural Moon
2. Delicious Agony
3. Progrock.com
4. House of Prog

There are several others but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. 

Also, gagliarchives is a show that is on aural moon and also house of prog (I think). Another show is Friday night progressive (do a google search). No points for guessing when that one is on but it starts at 9pm. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 18 2022 at 12:03
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 12:07
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I have four on my phone:

Prog Charts Radio
Delicious Agony Radio
Morow Radio
Voyage 35 Radio

I've never checked out:

Gagliarchives
Aural Moon
Space Pirate Radio

(But I'm going to seek them out now!!!)

Aural Moon is worth checking out. However, they go far deeper than most prog stations do(ie they play a lot of really obscure bands). They don't have everything but they come closer than anyone else imo. Gagliarchives is a show that is hosted by Aural Moon on Saturday nights and rebroadcast on Tuesdays in the late morning and afternoon(sometimes going until four or five). 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 13:16
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

Hi,

How we differ all around, in here!

I'm so used to the "variety", and NOT the top lists, that I can't listen to regular radio at all ... the fact that the majority of music is just a bunch of songs, played in similar fashion as the top ten stations, is something that turns me off.

I looked at the listing in at least 4 of those shows listed, and the whole thing is just plain boring, and has nothing new to show you and giving a new band a chance, is like right in the middle of two of your favorites and you are NOT going to remember that a whole lot. I don't think that the majority of folks doing these shows are bona fide and serious progressive in their ideas, or the playing lists would be considerably more adventurous than they are ... but maybe I'm spoiled (I admit it) with having heard Space Pirate Radio since 1974 and how Guy Guden survived the "radio wars" for many years and is STILL doing what he always did ... giving you a mix that is unlike any other. 

The mix is important, in the sense that it gets your mind settled on new experiences, and when you have to "return" to the normal mode of everything else, the ability to learn and gain some more beauty about something new, loses its appeal. 

But you're talking about someone that has seen and heard a lot of radio going back to the 60's ... and how it changed, and I loved the FM radio in Southern Californica when it was free form, until one day it was taken down to become some crappy "new wave soft music" ... and folks like Jim Ladd have never said anything about it, which suggests they got paid off to keep their mouths shut. Ohh he went to Sirius, but what he has done since in there is crap, and is only progressive in the notices and words, not in reality.

It's sad. The state of a lot of the listing in those shows is really poor, and the mixes are even worse. I doubt these folks EVER knew, or understood, that a lot of that music came about as a revolt against the radio control of music, and look at the listings ... right back to what the AM radio was like 60 years ago. No commercials, but you get everything else except the jingles!

The only thing that might hurt SPR be heard a little more is its time, and that it is live and not recorded. And as such, you have to hear when it is on, and its time (Mid to 4AM or so) is tough for many folks in the USA, but the show has been in that time slot since the start, and has a history of massive number of fans, many of which still listen to it, and admire how Guy has continued doing it ... and this time it is an international thing on that twitching thing, with folks from a lot of different places, giving the music even more attention and attraction. And I think that is one of the things that most of its listeners enjoy the most.

Edited by moshkito - January 18 2022 at 13:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>