Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Seek Obscure Prog Albums to Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Seek Obscure Prog Albums to Review
    Posted: January 26 2022 at 03:28
I've decided to write reviews on this site. I'm mainly looking for the albums that have 0 (zero) ratings on this site. As, they would be rather difficult to come across using the searching tools. Yet, you can recommend me any "obscure" album. If I feel like reviewing it after giving a listen, I'll do it. 

I'm quite knowledgeable on prog metal and neo-prog. But, I can take any suggestions. Challenges are good. Plus, if I will be the first to review an album, that would be the best one of it! Tongue

Thanks in advance!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 04:16
I love the two Umberto-albums that's got 1 rating each

Here's two zero ratings I like:
Mark Shreeve Phantom + Thoughts of War

Two ratings:
Sergej Djokanov Green Desert

There's plenty more of course, escpecially with about four-five ratings or less, but no review
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 04:52
Thank you Saperlipopette!, very much appreciated. It will be fine to delve into the unknown prog electronic domains. Thumbs Up

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 26 2022 at 05:04
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 06:51
You'll find a lot of "zero ratings" albums by artists in the Prog Electronic category, Özgür. Alio Die, Cloudland CanyonTotal Station, Pulse Emitter, J.D. EmmanuelBitchin BajasTönen, Jerome Froese, Mathias GrassowThree Suns, Juta Takahashi, Space Sweeper, EmeraldsSteve Roach, Church of Hed, Forma, Ian Boddy, etc., etc. 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 07:03
Thanks Drew! I'll check all of them out, and will most probably review various albums among theirs. Actually prog electronic is one of the prog sub-genres that I'm better familiar with. But, I hardly came accross such albums that interested me. I hope I'll discover some hidden gems thanks to you and Saperlipopette!. Cool
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 08:00
Here's a link to the list of un-reviewed albums on PA. You'll have to decide for yourself which ones are "obscure":

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 08:05
^ Oh, thanks. I wasn't aware of such listing. That will be helpful!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 08:20
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Here's a link to the list of un-reviewed albums on PA. You'll have to decide for yourself which ones are "obscure":

Hi,

The only thing that is really bad about that list is that it is almost all of it about singles ... and I'm not sure that "singles" should be what "progressive music" should be all about, specially when it started out as being totally anti the radio formats and its "singles" idea.

But today, we consider everything "songs" and we don't give a sh*t about the database listings, which are so generic as to be sad and a bad representation of what computer code artistry can be ... but it will never be! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 08:41
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Wow. Who compiled that?

Or do releases automatically go there upon addition and then disappear once a review appears?

I'm sooooo curious!!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 09:39
Chances are this is not up your alley, but more recent albums of Rapoon and Charles Hayward have no ratings.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 11:00
^ The New Criticism movement in literary theories might be beneficial for me in reviewing stuff from sub-genres that I'm virtually clueless about. If I feel confident enough, I'll consider taking all prog sub-genres into consideration for my new challenge. Thank you Christian. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 16:06
Cool. I'm planning on writing more reviews myself. My rule is that I'll only write a review if I only the album and preferably have heard it at least 2 times. My focus will be mostly on lesser known bands from the recent past but not brand new(so at least a few years old). That isn't written in stone though. I just don't want to do what everyone else is doing.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 26 2022 at 16:08
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 16:21
I recommend:

Chimpan A         -  Chimpan A
Janison Edge     - The Services of Mary Goode
The Eccentronic Research Council - The 1612 Overture

Edited by Cambus741 - January 26 2022 at 16:22
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 01:40
Locating unrated, rather pointless releases I know nothing about (or #7’s, Flexi discs etc…) is relatively simple, so I’ll rather focus on albums I really like with less than five ratings - and no reviews obviously.

Rabih Abou-Khalil - Al-Jadida (3 ratings) - located under Prog Folk, but it’s really «Arabic Jazz-fusion» (with Sonny Fortune on sax). Wonderful album.

Klaus Morlock - Penumbra (0 ratings) - not on spotify but "name your price" on on bandcamp, so you can try it out for free. Beautiful and ghostly with mellotrons, woodwinds...

John Renbourn Group - The Enchanted Garden (2 ratings)
A more medieval inspired, less jazzy continuation of Pentangle - and as great imo.

Pop Workshop - Song of the Pterodactyl (4 ratings) Very worthy Swedish «all star» fusion band featuring Tony Williams on drums. Vol. 1 (2 ratings) is just as nice.

Trees Speak - Shadow Forms (3 ratings) Driving Kraut/Psych/spacerock. I'm a fan.

Vasant Rai - Autumn Song (3 ratings) Indo/Raga-prog by the indian master sarod-virtouso - backed by Oregon

Terje Winther (of Winterstormer) - Electronic Regions (0 ratings) Berlin School/Tangerine Dream-like. 2 hour + long album that slowly builds - so you’ll need some patience. Skillfully done, by an expert in the field - I love it.

-that's all for now:)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 01:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Cool. I'm planning on writing more reviews myself. My rule is that I'll only write a review if I only the album and preferably have heard it at least 2 times. My focus will be mostly on lesser known bands from the recent past but not brand new(so at least a few years old). That isn't written in stone though. I just don't want to do what everyone else is doing.

As many have stated on this forum earlier, writing the billionth review for household names is also not my thing. The reason why I asked mainly for the albums that have zero ratings was that, it would be hard and time-consuming for me to seek them myself. Plus, if someone says that s/he likes such an album, it is worth considering. Given that, a very large portion of the extremely obscure cultural products probably are so for valid reasons, and it wouldn't interest many to read reviews of an uninteresting album. If some obscure stuff interests someone, the chances that it is worth checking out are bigger.

All in all, I'll not limit myself with solely reviewing such albums. I created this thread for expanding my "playground" and getting help for that. So far so good! Thank you everyone. And to you too, Cambus741. Beer

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 27 2022 at 01:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 01:45
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Locating unrated, rather pointless releases I know nothing about (or #7’s, Flexi discs etc…) is relatively simple, so I’ll rather focus on albums I really like with less than five ratings - and no reviews obviously.

Rabih Abou-Khalil - Al-Jadida (3 ratings) - located under Prog Folk, but it’s really «Arabic Jazz-fusion» (with Sonny Fortune on sax). Wonderful album.

Klaus Morlock - Penumbra (0 ratings) - not on spotify but "name your price" on on bandcamp, so you can try it out for free. Beautiful and ghostly with mellotrons, woodwinds...

John Renbourn Group - The Enchanted Garden (2 ratings)
A more medieval inspired, less jazzy continuation of Pentangle - and as great imo.

Pop Workshop - Song of the Pterodactyl (4 ratings) Very worthy Swedish «all star» fusion band featuring Tony Williams on drums. Vol. 1 (2 ratings) is just as nice.

Trees Speak - Shadow Forms (3 ratings) Driving Kraut/Psych/spacerock. I'm a fan.

Vasant Rai - Autumn Song (3 ratings) Indo/Raga-prog by the indian master sarod-virtouso - backed by Oregon

Terje Winther (of Winterstormer) - Electronic Regions (0 ratings) Berlin School/Tangerine Dream-like. 2 hour + long album that slowly builds - so you’ll need some patience. Skillfully done, by an expert in the field - I love it.

-that's all for now:)

This is exactly the kind of help I want go get. Mentioning albums that you think are good but remained obscure. Thanks again, you're awesome. Wink

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 27 2022 at 01:47
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 08:11
Just out of curiosity are you planning on buying these albums or listening to them on youtube or spotify or something similar? I've always wondered if people actually buy all the albums they review. Not a big deal. I'm just curious.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 27 2022 at 15:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 08:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Just out of curiosity are planning on buying these albums or listening to them on youtube or spotify or something similar? I've always wondered if people actually buy all the albums they review. Not a big deal. I'm just curious.

It could be a mix of those. But, first round will be on Youtube if available. The rest depends on the allurement of the album.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 10:17
None of my albums have been reviewed yet. :(
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 10:46
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

None of my albums have been reviewed yet. :(

I first thought you're complaining that I haven't reviewed any of the albums you suggested yet. LOL

I cannot give any promises, but I will consider reviewing your albums like any other suggested album here. I'll really take any suggestions into consideration. What is your band's name (if different than your actual name)?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>