Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Seek Obscure Prog Albums to Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 12:29
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 14:46
^ Thankee Nick.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 01:12
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

This is exactly the kind of help I want go get. Mentioning albums that you think are good but remained obscure. Thanks again, you're awesome. Wink
Thanks! You probably got more than enough to digest already, but here's couple more:

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Sunset Mission (8 ratings) making an exception here for an album that's got a few more ratings. Not so much prog and placing this band in a sub-genre named Math Rock is beyond a joke. Imagine being stuck in Black Lodge (where they hung out in the original Twin Peaks-series) accompanied by the slowest, doom-laden jazz quartet imaginable... forever. I noticed siLLy puPPy's review of Black Earth which sums it up nicely - the biggest differences between the two is that the latter album features mellotron.

Chris Hinze Combination - I think my personal favorite Mission Suite (5 ratings), the heavy Sister Slick (4 ratings) and the gently beautiful Virgin Sacrifice (3 ratings) are all worth investigating

It's vital that you got some love for the jazz flute though

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 01:31
^ Hilarious scene! LOL

I'll make use of every suggestion made here. I'm a choosy person, but I'm sure there'll be stuff worthy of attracting my attention enough among the albums you're coming with. 

Jazz flute can be cool. It is not imperative that I love an album in order to review it. If something is interesting enough, that might also suffice. Ying Yang
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 05:23
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Terje Winther (of Winterstormer) - Electronic Regions (0 ratings) Berlin School/Tangerine Dream-like. 2 hour + long album that slowly builds - so you’ll need some patience. Skillfully done, by an expert in the field - I love it.

That makes us two!

I listened to Mark Shreeve's Phantom. I liked and hated it at the same time. Some parts having the sounds/melodies like birds are chirping were very interesting. That (pattern) repeated at least 3 times, as I remember, one was towards the end. But, some parts of the album were more like experimental, composition wise. Adding odd melodic variations is cool. But, they rarely make me say "wow". And this was not one of them. Plus, some sound choices were unsettlingly intense for me. Hey the name is Phantom. So why not being unsettling? Tongue I might consider listening to it again sometime. Who knows, perhaps it will grow on me.

Anyhow, I'll most probably review Terje Winther's Electronic Regions. And that will not take a month or so. Star

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 28 2022 at 05:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 06:20

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Terje Winther (of Winterstormer) - Electronic Regions (0 ratings) Berlin School/Tangerine Dream-like. 2 hour + long album that slowly builds - so you’ll need some patience. Skillfully done, by an expert in the field - I love it.

That makes us two!

Awesome!

I listened to Mark Shreeve's Phantom. I liked and hated it at the same time. Some parts having the sounds/melodies like birds are chirping were very interesting. That (pattern) repeated at least 3 times, as I remember, one was towards the end. But, some parts of the album were more like experimental, composition wise. Adding odd melodic variations is cool. But, they rarely make me say "wow". And this was not one of them. Plus, some sound choices were unsettlingly intense for me. Hey the name is Phantom. So why not being unsettling? Tongue I might consider listening to it again sometime. Who knows, perhaps it will grow on me.

Anyhow, I'll most probably review Terje Winther's Electronic Regions. And that will not take a month or so. Star
Early Mark Shreeve was only released on cassette, and I suppose I was surprised at stumbling over music of this high quality from guys like him and Ian Boddy, Paul Nagle, Cybe mm... on these home made/DIY looking releases. The things I've reccomended here are sometimes just "great for being so completely overlooked" rather than my favorite music. I really love the epic Dark Water, but the rest is a little patchy as far as I can remember.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 08:25
I've got quite a lot of Charles Hayward's solo albums, so I will start posting some reviews soon.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 14:01
Since metal seems to be your main area of interest, here are a few metal bands I can think of that all have either 1 or 0 reviews per album:
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 14:49
^ Thanks Mirakaze! Actually, metal is more of my main area of expertise than interest. I'm interested in any kind of music with very few exceptions. The "post" rock and metal outputs are among the ones that I'm least interested in. I love Atoma's Skylight album and a bunch of post rock albums. But hey, perhaps your recommendations can help me discover some further cool stuff in this area. I'll check them out.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:19
I don't think of it as that obscure really, but this is an old one from 1972 that I added to the Prog Related category (I consider the album to be Prog but it's in PR as an artist discography issue primarily) about a year ago and it still has but one rating and no reviews: William Sheller's Lux Aeterna http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=72078

Easy to find it all, but here's the first track as a taster. It's known by some for being hippity-hopped (sampled) for Deltron 3030 due to the phat groove :

Rateyourmusic tags it as

Genres:
Symphonic Prog
Psychedelic Rock, Classical Crossover

Descriptors:
orchestral, choral, epic, psychedelic

I had planned to review it at some time but likely won't now. Love to read your review if you do choose to listen to and review the album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:27
^ Firstly, wonderful to see you back Greg. Hope your break was good for you.

It seems really interesting. But, the hour is late here and I want to listen to it with my new speakers first, without disturbing the neighbours. I'm in an apartment here, so... I'll check it out in the morning or afternoon.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 00:02
Les Fragments De La Nuit (Musique du Crépuscule & Demain C'Etait Hier, both 0 ratings) I'm quite the fan of both the added albums from this neoclassical ensemble (+ debut album Musique de Nuit, like Bohren & the Club of Gore their discographies here aren't complete). I suppose their latter album is the reason they're added to to PA, but it's 95% a string quintet (with piano) but it's got some percussion, voices/wordless choirs. Quite complex compositions, but more melodic/romantic era (and cinematic) than your "typical" Avant/Rio-ensemble. Just listen to this incredible live performance...
Edit: Ok I had somewhat slightly forgotten how distinctly "chamber-rockin' they occasionally could be (studio version of the last live compostition - as a sextet with drummer):

Edited by Saperlipopette! - January 30 2022 at 00:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 11:48
^ Thank you! BTW, today I literally could do nothing I tried. Began watching an episode of a TV-series I like, gave up after 5 minutes. Tried to watch an intense movie, stopped after 20 minutes. So I watched some extremely strange videos on Youtube. (Arabesque rap stuff, lol) That worked. I feel better now. I'll check your suggestions out tomorrow though. Now, Im gonna watch a movie.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 23:25

^ Thank you! BTW, today I literally could do nothing I tried. Began watching an episode of a TV-series I like, gave up after 5 minutes. Tried to watch an intense movie, stopped after 20 minutes. So I watched some extremely strange videos on Youtube. (Arabesque rap stuff, lol) That worked. I feel better now. I'll check your suggestions out tomorrow though. Now, Im gonna watch a movie.
Haha I can relate to that. But could you post a link or two to some of the Arabesque rap stuff that worked for you? I'm actually very interested. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 01:44
^ Hahahah. Actually this was the sickest one I watched. IDK how it would seem if you don't speak Turkish. Big smile

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 08:28
I recommend you my fav album of 2010

Band: Koi
album: In Tomorrow Hid Yesterday

If you like Porcupine tree you will love them
GoodNightOwl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodNightOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 07:08
I just released this. I am obscure!

https://goodnightowl.bandcamp.com/album/encounters
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 07:15
I'm the guy who opened this thread, with a different account now. I'll repeat that I'll take every suggestion made here into consideration. And thank you all, really. At the very least, I'll check out a song of each band mentioned here. I'm just getting used to my new speakers, and reading reviews to warm up. I'll start unleashing my reviews quite soon!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2022 at 03:39
Here's my first review out of the suggestions. I'll not "update" here, after writing more reviews. You know, the forum is not my "playground". But any other suggestions are always welcome. And the previous ones are still a source for me. 

Thank you Saperlipopette! for the suggestion. It was really great!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2691247

Edited by Archisorcerus - February 11 2022 at 03:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2022 at 00:57
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I don't think of it as that obscure really, but this is an old one from 1972 that I added to the Prog Related category (I consider the album to be Prog but it's in PR as an artist discography issue primarily) about a year ago and it still has but one rating and no reviews: William Sheller's Lux Aeterna http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=72078

Easy to find it all, but here's the first track as a taster. It's known by some for being hippity-hopped (sampled) for Deltron 3030 due to the phat groove :

Rateyourmusic tags it as

Genres:
Symphonic Prog
Psychedelic Rock, Classical Crossover

Descriptors:
orchestral, choral, epic, psychedelic

I had planned to review it at some time but likely won't now. Love to read your review if you do choose to listen to and review the album.

I was not gonna share my reviews but... this is a GREAT album, I couldn't hold back. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll write its review soon. Already 4 or 5 stars. I'll decide on this later. After further listenings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>