Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progger or non-progger?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What is your answer if using my definition?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [60.81%]
7 [9.46%]
22 [29.73%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 21:14
I love prog but it is a narrow view--there is a lot of it I really don't like. I love jazz both instrumental and vocal--Jobim and other Brazilian jazz--and some classic rock--David Crosby---and female composer singers like Joni Mitchell. But I also will listen to Beck and Linkin Park.Shocked
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 22:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Although I listen to a lot of non prog stuff (maybe 50 percent or close to it) I'm still definitely a progger or prog head. 
That's me as well.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 23:21
Does this have anything to do with Frogger?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 00:02
All in all I'd say I listen to bands and artists represented in these archives about 30% of the time. More than half of those 30% is spent on music no one in the real world would assosiate with prog (Mwandishi, Can, Electric Miles, Kraftwerk, Pearls Before Swine, Terje Rypdal...). Not a progger - not a non-progger either.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 00:59
A progger. Mostly interested in prog, especially if you include proto and related stuff as defined on this website. 
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 06:20
a progger for sure, but aswell I listen to other genres from time to time, but prog as a whole is my thing
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 10:19
On balance I am a progger. Prog was the first music I discovered for myself, and it still accounts for much of my listening pleasure. Like many others, though, my musical taste knows few boundaries.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 10:36
Progger I guess. I like mostly prog.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 10:45
I can't really say... over the past 15 years, I have listened to a great of Classical and switch between the two, like I have some sort of split personality... but if I listen to non-Classical, then it tends to be Prog or Prog-related rock or metal...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 10:57
While I would not call myself a progger, to answer the kind of question of "Are you mostly into music you consider to be Prog?" then the answer probably would be no.   I listen to a lot of music that I loosely consider to be under a prog umbrella and as prog related but don't consider to be prog-as-genre-proper. Even with the music I listen to in PA Prog categories, a great amount of it many don't consider to be truly Prog -- I might be more ambivalent on that matter. I think of Prog as lacking clear boundaries anyway, and am not that interested in classifying music I like as Prog or not these days (I have thought mostly about Prog classifications when it has come to work I have done here, and even then it was more about thinking about the particular categories PA utilises).

I do still listen to a lot of music included in PA's Prog categories, as well as a lot that isn't on PA at all. Most is Prog related by my standards and an awful lot of it could be considered progressive if not really Prog (genre). I'll vote non-Progger per the OP.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 11:12
Half the time non prog , half the time prog rock ...so went with option 3.....can't say for certain.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 11:26
About 3/4 of my collection in my very broad definition of prog that includes lots of jazz & avant garde. Went with option 3 as its probably 50:50 when I think about what I listen to regularly.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 11:34
"Progger" always reminds me of Frogger.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 20:26
Progger, of course. I do enjoy more music, though.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 20:47
i'm a progger when i listen to prog and a non-progger when i don't

i'm a metal head when i listen to metal and a non metal head when i don't

i'm a hip hopper when i listen to hip hop and a non hip hopper when i don't

i trust you catch my drift

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 22:35
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

i'm a progger when i listen to prog and a non-progger when i don't

i'm a metal head when i listen to metal and a non metal head when i don't

i'm a hip hopper when i listen to hip hop and a non hip hopper when i don't

i trust you catch my drift

I bet I know what you are if you listen to Country

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 28 2022 at 22:41
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 00:44
I can't really say. Because I listen to progressive music, but also to post/alternative rock/metal, hard-rock/heavy-metal, classic rock, electro music and some other styles.

Edited by PhideauxFan - January 29 2022 at 00:45
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 12:27
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I listen to about 80% prog, but I also like folk (mainly folk rock or Celtic folk, often electric - think Runrig or Oysterband, but also some traditional folk and more modern bands like Bellowhead and Show of Hands).
So definitely a progger.

I'm maybe 65% prog, 20% folk (mostly Celtic) and 15% pop and rock

Love Oysterband and Runrig.  Do you know The Men they Couldn't Hang?  

so I vote progger
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 15:31

A progger definitely..

(played Frogger too!  LOL)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 06:12
progger, but I also listen to blues, country, southern rock, classical, concrete...

More than progger  I'd call myself a non-pop
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>