Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite flute prog songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philchem8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite flute prog songs
    Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:12

I noticed there were a couple of discussion threads on the flute in progressive rock many years ago, but I have not found anything recent. And as I have not seen a discussion asking people for their favorite prog tracks with flutes, I thought I’ll give it a go. If there’s interest, maybe we can build a list of top flute prog songs. Whether it was a recorder, transverse or other type of flute (and I’m by no means an expert), I believe the flute started to be used occasionally in rock mainly around the mid-1960s, notably in tunes such as Ruby Tuesday, Wild Thing and Jefferson Airplane’s Coming Back To Me. The flute then played an important role in a lot of progressive rock from the late 1960s to about the mid-1970s, with Jethro Tull, and to some extent Focus, making it a defining element of their sound. Afterwards, it seems that the flute became somewhat out of fashion, although Tull and occasionally Steve Hackett (with the help of his flutist brother) carried on the tradition to some extent. I don’t think the flute plays much of an important role in neo-prog. I am aware of some more modern bands that have some flute - Big Big Train (for ex. Winchester Diver), Mostly Autumn - but I’m not sufficiently familiar with enough of their material to tell how extensively the flute is used. 

I’ve always liked how various prog-rock artists incorporated the flute into their compositions, and some of my favorite prog tunes include some degree of flute playing. In putting together a list of my 10 favorite flute prog songs, I considered only those songs where the flute plays a prominent role, so I did not include any Genesis material. I think Peter Gabriel integrated nice flute passages very effectively in early Genesis material, but these were relatively brief, transitional passages (Stagnation, Dusk, The Musical Box, Firth of Fifth). The longest may be a little over a minute in Supper’s Ready but considering that song is over 23 minutes, I did not consider it significant enough to include it in my list. Similarly, I came close to considering Van der Graaf Generator’s Refugees and House With No Door, but thought the flute was not quite as prominent in those songs than in others on my list. It’s a subjective judgment call however, and in contributing your top flute songs, feel free to make that call as you wish!  I also tried to have some representation of different bands as I realized my list could easily be packed with Jethro Tull and Camel tunes. So here it is (in no particular order):

Harmonium: Histoires Sans Paroles – For my ears, the most beautiful and touching flute playing in an epic prog-rock composition; this indeed leaves me “sans paroles” (i.e. speechless).

Camel: Rhayader – Wonderful, upbeat flute-led short instrumental with a catchy melody – leaves you with a good-humored feeling inside.

Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick (Part I) A close to 23 minute masterpiece with plenty of gorgeous flute sprinkled throughout, particularly on edits # 1 and 4. Given its length this is the only Tull song on my list, but I could easily have included others such as Living in the Past, Cross-Eyed Mary and the flute classic  Bouree.

King Crimson: The Court of the Crimson King – This defining classic of prog-rock is still my ultimate KC track. The flute, while not dominant, comes in perfect time and duration to contribute with subtlety to the medieval, gothic atmosphere.  

The Moody Blues: Visions of Paradise – Flute and sitar? I could just meditate to this soul-searching gem.  Maybe not one of The Moody Blue’s most famous song with a flute, but certainly one of the best.

Focus: Love Remembered – Touching and relaxing, this is on Focus’ gentler side in the same vein as Janis (which is a close contender for my list). For a heavier sound and faster rhythm, House of the King gets my vote.

Maneige: Les Porches de Notre-Dame – Another tour-de-force, epic composition from a French-Canadian band from Montreal, a contemporary of Harmonium, and these two bands alone make feel proud of my home city; initially led by the flute, eventually all kinds of instruments explode in this dazzling symphony.

King Crimson: Lady of the Dancing Water – Yes, Crimson again, and why not? This time, a very gentle pastoral ballad, in the style of the more well-known I Talk to the Wind and Cadence and Cascade. This may be the closest thing KC came to a love song. I wish they had done more like these because they were really good at it.

Steve Hackett: Hands of the Priestess – Mysterious, enchanting harmonies on the flute and acoustic guitar make this one of Steve Hackett’s best collaboration with his flute-playing brother John. Also contending, The Serpentine Song, reminiscent of early King Crimson.

Camel: Elke – In contrast to Rhayader or Supertwister, this is a extremely serene and peaceful flute-led piece, heart-wrenchingly beautiful. Anyone who is not filled with love for the world after listening to this should just give up on life. The equally beautiful and moody Air Born was another strong contender from the band.     

Other prog bands I have enjoyed flute songs from include PFM (which had two strong contenders for my top 10), Horslips, Gravy Train, Out of Focus, Caravan, Triode, Supersister, Mythos and East of Eden.  Do you know any others?  

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 16:42
Änglagård

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 17:37
Hi,
An interesting topic . here are some tracks that immediately came to my mind and that were not in your original selection ( moreover very significant and that I share almost entirely)
Dave Jackson from VDGG fame :
flute on
Undercover man ( Godbluff LP) , pulsing flute straight from the beginning with Hammil's whispered vocals, then DJ switched to sax for the second half of the song
Childlike faith in childhood'ed ( here also from the start of the song)( VDGG Still LP)
The emperor is his war room ( from VDGG H to he) , DJ on flute here from the start also
DJ played flute on some PH solo LPs :
Child from Fool's mate ( first PH solo LP)
What is worth ( from Chameleon in the shadow of the night)
In totally other style of progressive music
Kraftwerk Rückzug from their first LP
and the Dutch hard rock band Golden earring who recorded some prog related material in the early seventies
Back home ( a hit single back then)
and above all Brother wind from their 1972 LP Together ( flute in a Tull-ish style after 2 minutes to start a long instrumental bridge)
Flute played by the singer/frontman Barry Hay

Edited by mellotronwave - November 23 2022 at 08:34
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 17:51
Focus - Janis (Great flute melody by Thijs Van Leer)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 00:08
I might forget many songs, but the ones that come to my mind (not necessarily in order of preference), I guess I can begin with Jethro Tull, and it must be Thick as a Brick... my pick would be the live version from Live Bursting Out. Then, Focus with Birth, I just love the interplay between flute and guitar on this one. Then Harmonium's Histoire's Sans Paroles. Also, Anglagard's Kung Bore. And Los Jaivas with La Poderosa Muerte.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 01:09
Soft Machine's "Slightly All The Time" has a very nice flute solo starting around the six minute mark

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 02:58
Off the top of my head - Silently Falling by Chris Squire (right at the beginning) and The Knife by Genesis.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 03:32
definitely this one:

brilliant flute playing by Didier Malherbe

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 08:18
Hi,

AGUSA ... that woman is excellent. Some might end up comparing her, but in the end, she is exceptional and you would stand up and applaud a performance like that.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 09:05
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 09:40
That short flute solo by Jimmy Hastings at the beginning of You By My Side on Chris Squire's Fish Out of Water.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 14:07
Jethro Tull - My God: an introduction to the possibilities of flute in a hard rock song. Tull certainly had prominent flute tunes prior to this (Bouree, With You There to Help Me, Serenade to a Cuckoo, etc.), but in 1971 (and a year earlier if you were lucky enough to be at the Isle of Wight Concert) "My God" and its flute solo became something altogether different than the pastoral accompaniment instrument it had been for centuries. Throw in the spastic and heavy "Nothing Is Easy" from 1969, and the flute was never the same again.

Traffic - Rainmaker: atmospheric and jazzy, a memorable riff driving a splendid Traffic tune.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 14:36
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 14:42
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 14:46
Or if we stray outside of prog...

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 14:56
Too obvious??

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 15:05
Keepin' it in the family...

Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 15:29

Nice thread!

I very much like the flute work in Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere: title track and Foxlight.

Camel - Supertwister (can't leave it out :) )

Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick and Witches Promise

Gong - Flute Salad

Genesis - Cuckoo Cocoon

King Crimson - Formentera Lady

The flute work in Zappa's Absolutely Free (Plastic People, Call Any Vegetable, though not sure if it is indeed a flute or if it qualifies)

Yezda Urfa - Sacred Baboon (Cancer of the Band, Tota in the Moya).

Soft Machine - Slightly All The Time, already mentioned (sublime!).

Edited by Machinemessiah - February 03 2022 at 15:20
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 19:09
I’ve also always enjoyed whoever is really playing the flute behind the curtains for this high stepping ambidextrous comic flautist. Whoever it is … is amazing!

https://youtu.be/oaRiOU5IiXw
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 19:10
I love the flute solo on tCotCK. It's a timeless classic.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>