Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subwoofer ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2022 at 02:59
^ Well, mister, that was just the extra info I was looking for (btw it's the Domus and Foo with lossless FLACs).

It happens I found the SVS dealer is just half an hour ride from where I live and they have a showroom, so...I will soon be on a Special Audio Mission ! (let's see if they allow me to bring home an unit on lease, the SF are too big to carry to the SR)

Thanks all Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2022 at 10:53
Originally posted by Dark Ness Dark Ness wrote:

^ Well, mister, that was just the extra info I was looking for (btw it's the Domus and Foo with lossless FLACs).

It happens I found the SVS dealer is just half an hour ride from where I live and they have a showroom, so...I will soon be on a Special Audio Mission ! (let's see if they allow me to bring home an unit on lease, the SF are too big to carry to the SR)

Thanks all Thumbs Up

Sounds good......If your strictly going for 2-channel then I suggest staying with sealed subs, a ported sub is mainly for HT setup. A ported sub might be tuned to go lower but at the expense of a more boominess sound, which is fine for HT but not 2-channel......Again, unless that is what you want. Also the ported boxes are bigger, below is the SB2000 and PB2000 from SVS both with 12" drivers, big difference.

SVS SB-2000 and PB-2000 Subwoofers | Sound &amp; Vision
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2022 at 12:57
^ I'll keep that in mind, for sure ! (thks again)

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 11:29

Sorry, following the news over this horrible Ukraine thing kept me away from PA for a few days but I returned today and read through the whole discussion.
Thank you guys, contributions much appreciated !

I run my music from the computer with Foobar 2000 and have an Advance Acoustic pre- and power amps

feeding Sonus Faber Grand Pianos

which are really superb but leave me sometimes longing for a more intense and exciting audio atmosphere when I'm in just that kind of mood that requires it.

Would the sub deliver that little extra juice ? From your comments it seems like it will, I'll report later my experience, cheers.

Anytime you add a subwoofer and treat the room for it, it is a Win Win situation.
You’ll get more visceral impact from your audio guaranteed. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 07:17
Hi,

Interesting stuff here.

I have had an ESS Heil AMT-1 for 40 years. Both speakers have been re-coned twice here in Portland by Ja-Mac.

If you know these (look them up) they have a large 12 incher, and then an "air-motion" transformer on top of the cabinet. All the music flows from those two pieces.

So in my 1st visit to Ja-Mac I asked about a "mid-range" since the speaker shows the lows and the highs really well, and the transformer does not require a "mid-range" per se ... the old man (Ja-Mac himself -- I think his sons run it now) says ... "what for?"

These speakers were what sold me on getting them, when I brought Tangerine Dream's Phaedra album to the store to decide which speakers I wanted and that LP shined awesome in some speakers and really trashy in the cheaper stuff, and it was then that I knew the difference between the high level stuff and the low level crap. A year later I had to get a better receiver ... np ... got a massive one that lasted 30 years ... and helped make the stereo system damn good ... and if I had to? I could blow the folks next door out of town very quickly! Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 10:28
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Interesting stuff here.

I have had an ESS Heil AMT-1 for 40 years. Both speakers have been re-coned twice here in Portland by Ja-Mac.

If you know these (look them up) they have a large 12 incher, and then an "air-motion" transformer on top of the cabinet. All the music flows from those two pieces.

So in my 1st visit to Ja-Mac I asked about a "mid-range" since the speaker shows the lows and the highs really well, and the transformer does not require a "mid-range" per se ... the old man (Ja-Mac himself -- I think his sons run it now) says ... "what for?"

These speakers were what sold me on getting them, when I brought Tangerine Dream's Phaedra album to the store to decide which speakers I wanted and that LP shined awesome in some speakers and really trashy in the cheaper stuff, and it was then that I knew the difference between the high level stuff and the low level crap. A year later I had to get a better receiver ... np ... got a massive one that lasted 30 years ... and helped make the stereo system damn good ... and if I had to? I could blow the folks next door out of town very quickly! Tongue
I bet, those are great speakers and could fetch $1500.00 on the used market easily depending on condition. You don't need a midrange driver, those speakers should be crossed over at a point that covers the lower and upper midrange. It just means the crossover is allowing the woofer to play higher up and the Heil tweeter to play lower, versus a 3-way speaker that would have a dedicated driver to play the midrange frequencies. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 11:25
I was going to go this way with my set up...but Mrs JD had some other ideas. Unhappy

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 12:57
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I was going to go this way with my set up...but Mrs JD had some other ideas. Unhappy

Build her a she-shed.....c'mon man, think!!!!! LOL

She shed ideas – transform your garden into an idyllic retreat
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 14:14
Our WHOLE HOUSE is a She-Shed !
We did a huge reno/add-on about 10 years ago. While I was designing it I had indicated a 'Media Room' on the plan. Well, it became a family room with a fireplace and TV (read: my honey's reading room) and all my media ended up in my office along with additional furniture for our boy when he moves out.
(sigh)Unhappy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 17:10

Our WHOLE HOUSE is a She-Shed !
We did a huge reno/add-on about 10 years ago. While I was designing it I had indicated a 'Media Room' on the plan. Well, it became a family room with a fireplace and TV (read: my honey's reading room) and all my media ended up in my office along with additional furniture for our boy when he moves out.
(sigh)Unhappy

Dude really!!!  LOL LOL Cry (plays whipping sound...) Wink

Are You This Whipped?: Husbands, Housework &amp; Sex

I guess I am lucky, my wife is perfectly fine with my taking over the down stairs for my music room. She would be fine if I had a system similar to the pic you posted......The second system is upstairs in the living room with my Epos Epic 2 speakers on stands. She would not care if I had 5,000 LPs either.....
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 18:04
It's not THAT bad ! Embarrassed
I mean, she doesn't smoke anymore. Wink

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 18:14

It's not THAT bad ! Embarrassed
I mean, she doesn't smoke anymore. Wink

LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2022 at 19:06
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I bet, those are great speakers and could fetch $1500.00 on the used market easily depending on condition. You don't need a midrange driver, those speakers should be crossed over at a point that covers the lower and upper midrange. It just means the crossover is allowing the woofer to play higher up and the Heil tweeter to play lower, versus a 3-way speaker that would have a dedicated driver to play the midrange frequencies. 

Hi,

Do a search ... they are still selling!!!! Place in LA. They fixed some of the electronics in one speaker that I had to send down to them. (Just the case and the electronics -- take the air motion transformer and the woofer out and mailed the case)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2022 at 10:08
After an entertaining visit to the showroom I went for the SVS SB1000 Pro since couldn't hear any significant downside compared to the much pricier 2000 model, but that's me and my two aging ears, could certainly work differently for anyone else.

I've already switched the SW to the stereo and listening now to Underfall Yard 2021 remaster, what a shame David L is no longer with us, love his singing.

The sw surely adds an enjoyable punch to the whole experience, loving it, hope the wife doesn't contest the new box in the living room floor (placed it next to the rightside LS as per the seller suggestion)

Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2022 at 10:11
Thanks everybody and specially to José for the particular insight, much appreciated Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2022 at 10:35

After an entertaining visit to the showroom I went for the SVS SB1000 Pro since couldn't hear any significant downside compared to the much pricier 2000 model, but that's me and my two aging ears, could certainly work differently for anyone else.

I've already switched the SW to the stereo and listening now to Underfall Yard 2021 remaster, what a shame David L is no longer with us, love his singing.

The sw surely adds an enjoyable punch to the whole experience, loving it, hope the wife doesn't contest the new box in the living room floor (placed it next to the rightside LS as per the seller suggestion)

There you go, congrats! Right side is where I had mine when I only had one.........Where do you have the sub crossed over at?
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2022 at 10:42
Thanks !
Good question ... only starting to understand the BT app settings, it's a first time remember.
Do you use the app too ? (and any suggestion, btw)

Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2022 at 10:53
I'm noticing a little too much boost when the bass pedals kick in, not enough to be unpleasant but stands out as kind of unnatural, the other frequencies are more balanced it seems
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2022 at 10:54

Thanks !
Good question ... only starting to understand the BT app settings, it's a first time remember.
Do you use the app too ? (and any suggestion, btw)

Only the Pro models have the app, I don't, so I have to go behind and make adjustments, which is fine cause once set no need to fool with it.
Sub setup can be involving, it's a detailed process I go thru which I can detail later if you want. 
But start here:
Your mains can play down to 35Hz, so suggest you cross over around 50Hz to start. Set the sub volume at 50%. The phase leave at 0 for now, that one to set optimally is the process. Now listen to music for the next day or so to get a baseline. I'll detail my process in another post.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2022 at 10:56

I'm noticing a little too much boost when the bass pedals kick in, not enough to be unpleasant but stands out as kind of unnatural, the other frequencies are more balanced it seems
Could be the sub volume is too high..where is it set at?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>