Topic ClosedDidier Malherbe in St.Cloud 08/10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Didier Malherbe in St.Cloud 08/10
    Posted: October 10 2005 at 07:09

It was by chance, that I learned  of this concert. I worked in a Parisian Suburb and at the train station I  saw a small leavlett announcing a free concert of  Didier Malherbe's 'Jazz & world Trio' in a nearby Mediatheque. It was a small and  nice venue in a parc and the concert itself took place in the musical library itself,a  completely round room with a wooden roof,  reminding these mongolian tents - quite fiting for a 'World' influenced concert. There were about a hundred people, mostly from the neighborhood  and  the place was crammed. There was no stage and the musicians played  in the middle of the audience, which was receptive and the athmosphere was really good .I suppose that everybody knows Didier 'Bloomdido' Malherbe sax and wind player of 'Gong' and solo artist.He played an interesting variety of wind instruments: soprano sax, bass clarinet, doudouk, flute, bamboo flute, occarina and a homemade 'flute' made out of a bend plastic pipe. Patrice Meyer, the guitarist (6 and 12 string) had played  in the past with Pip Pyle, Richard Sinclair, John Greaves and  Hugh Hopper among others- a Canterbury approved guitarist, who's main influence is John Mc Laughlin. Phillip Foch the percussionist (drums and tablas) the lesser known of the 3, but an impressing musician, especially on tablas.The trio played a mixture of  ethnic-influenced melodic material arranged with Jazz harmonies. (All compositions were by DM and the trio played  a John Mc Laughlin composition as encore). Several tracks reminded  'Shakti' , especially when PF played the tablas and PM the 12 string guitar. The Trio has played together now for sometime and the interplay between the musicians has reached a high level.  My favourite passages were those, when  DM played the Doudouk, a beautiful instrument, with a sound somewhere between  a Haut-Bois and a Clarinette. If you can see them go for it.

Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 15:37
...sounds real great!

Post Reply Post Reply