Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 36>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 06:27
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Website updated with my review of Porcupine Tree's Closure/Continuation on Album Reviews 2022 page, with the link here for your convenience and altogether better "experience"

https://lazland.org/album-reviews-2022/porcupine-tree-closurecontinuation 

WARNING - some folks of a sensitive nature might find comments in said review gratuitously offensive to their PT sensibilities, and lazland.org takes no responsibility for any personal injury which might be caused by said folks blowing their heads up in utter disgust Tongue

Video of the Week on the frontpage also updated - Merry Hell's Come On England.
Hi Steve. Only hearing the new PT album in drips and drabs, I cannot render an opinion myself, but this type of sincere forthright review is always welcome. If nothing else, it demonstrates that this is not from a Wilson fanboy and that your opinion is totally unbiased. That you mentioned your high regard for Hand. Cannot. Erase. cleverly points that out as well. A very enjoyable review, and a good resource for me when I get a chance to listen to the entire album in future. Cheers.

Edited by SteveG - June 29 2022 at 06:35
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 06:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Website updated with my review of Porcupine Tree's Closure/Continuation on Album Reviews 2022 page, with the link here for your convenience and altogether better "experience"

https://lazland.org/album-reviews-2022/porcupine-tree-closurecontinuation 

WARNING - some folks of a sensitive nature might find comments in said review gratuitously offensive to their PT sensibilities, and lazland.org takes no responsibility for any personal injury which might be caused by said folks blowing their heads up in utter disgust Tongue

Video of the Week on the frontpage also updated - Merry Hell's Come On England.
Hi Steve. Only hearing the new PT album in drips and drabs, I cannot render an opinion myself, but this type of sincere forthright review is always welcome. If nothing else, it demonstrates that this is not from a Wilson fanboy and that your opinion is totally unbiased. That you mentioned your high regard for Hand. Cannot. Erase. cleverly points that out as well. A very enjoyable review, and a good resource for me when I get a chance to listen to the entire album in future. Cheers.

Cheers Steve. Really appreciate that mate.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 07:39
Excellent review of the new PT. Did you notice the similar sounding riff during the heavy instrumental section of "Chimera's Wreck"? Sounds like Rush's "Tom Sawyer", with a minor change, to me.

You have a gift for writing. Keep it up. Cheers 🍻
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 09:01
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Excellent review of the new PT. Did you notice the similar sounding riff during the heavy instrumental section of "Chimera's Wreck"? Sounds like Rush's "Tom Sawyer", with a minor change, to me.

You have a gift for writing. Keep it up. Cheers 🍻

Thanks Will. I really appreciate the comments. Yes, I can definitely see where you are coming from re Rush, an interesting and great observation.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 07:52
Hi Steve,

I remember you expressed an interested in this, so the line-up is now complete:

The Sunday Night Headliner is Mick Pointer Band (inc Nick Barrett) performing Script (& Grendel?) for the 40th Anniversary... the only show, apparently.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 10:25
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Hi Steve,

I remember you expressed an interested in this, so the line-up is now complete:

The Sunday Night Headliner is Mick Pointer Band (inc Nick Barrett) performing Script (& Grendel?) for the 40th Anniversary... the only show, apparently.

Thanks Jared - a mighty impressive lineup indeed. Plans are afoot Wink
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 13:31

Historical album reviews project continues with the remaining reviews of 2009 completed with albums and DVDs by Marillion, IO Earth, Pendragon, The Decemberists, Pictorial Wand, Knight Area, Harvest, Touchstone, and Nurkostam. Go to 2009 section of Album Reviews by Year Page.

Ale of the Week updated in Beer & News Page.

I am hoping to upload new album reviews by Eye of Melian & Johanna Kurkela and Delvoid this week.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 13:46
Normal life interfered with Lazland cultural life last week, I am afraid. However, we return tonight with a new album review, Legends of Light by Eye of Melian, a pure proggy delight (Album Reviews 2022 Page), Ale of the Week (HPA), and Video of the week, the wonderful Heilung.

EDIT - unexpectedly had time to add a review of Delvoid (Swarmlife) also to Album Reviews 2022 page.

Edited by lazland - July 11 2022 at 15:23
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2022 at 14:37
New release by The Tangent added to Album Reviews of 2022. Further new reviews to hopefully follow in the next couple of days.

Video of the Week on frontpage - The Kinks, Come Dancing.

New ale of the week and some rugby musings added to Beer & News Page.

Historical reviews project continues with 2008 page added and reviews of Karmakanic, Pendragon, Magenta, and Asia.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 09:12

Normal life interfered with Lazland cultural life last week, I am afraid. However, we return tonight with a new album review, Legends of Light by Eye of Melian, a pure proggy delight (Album Reviews 2022 Page), Ale of the Week (HPA), and Video of the week, the wonderful Heilung.

EDIT - unexpectedly had time to add a review of Delvoid (Swarmlife) also to Album Reviews 2022 page.
The biggest problem I find with prog is that life gets in the way! Glad you're back in the saddle.

Edited by SteveG - July 19 2022 at 09:13
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 10:10

The biggest problem I find with prog is that life gets in the way! Glad you're back in the saddle.

Cheers Steve. I am sincerely hoping that whoever takes over our government continues with the plan to shed staff. Brown envelope = early retirement = more time for this!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 10:13

Cheers Steve. I am sincerely hoping that whoever takes over our government continues with the plan to shed staff. Brown envelope = early retirement = more time for this!
From your lips to God's ear, my friend!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 10:15

From your lips to God's ear, my friend!

Thumbs Up
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 15:04
Reviews of new albums by Stuckfish (excellent) and Alex Anthony Faide (not so much) added tonight to Album Reviews of 2022 Page.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 13:24

Website updated tonight with album reviews of Alan Parsons and Ruth Keggin & Rachel Hair (magnificent Manx Gaelic album), video of the week (Jon Anderson – Change we Must), and a rather disastrous Ale of the Week story added to relevant section of Beer & News Page.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 13:41

Website updated tonight with album reviews of Alan Parsons...

Thanks a lot for this, Steve; I did appreciate the generosity of spirit in your approach with your review as, has been evidenced on this site, he does come in for a lot of unfair criticism. As you know, I for one have long had a bit of a soft spot for AP in his various incarnations and will be checking this out in due course...Clap

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 13:48

Website updated tonight with album reviews of Alan Parsons...

Thanks a lot for this, Steve; I did appreciate the generosity of spirit in your approach with your review as, has been evidenced on this site, he does come in for a lot of unfair criticism. As you know, I for one have long had a bit of a soft spot for AP in his various incarnations and will be checking this out in due course...Clap

Thanks Jared. Yes, the shocking comments on this site are completely unnecessary, although I did not namecheck PA specifically in my review as there are still affection and loyalty feelings on my part, but Parsons is an incredibly important figure in prog rock history and deserves our respect. By all means dislike an album, but there is no need to be rude about it and him.

I know you will quite enjoy this album. As I said in the review, it is a good album without being anything special or groundbreaking. I just hope he makes a full recovery from his surgery. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 13:59
I really can't say anything less trite than I put his music on and it just brings a smile to my face. Even when I was listening to Sabbath & Zep in the 80's, I'd shove Ammonia Ave on just be sent to a happy, comfortable place; I admired his precision, high quality production, variety and the way the tracks were always structured across the albums..

Anyway, I have been having a good old Magenta run through of late (Revolutions in the car, We Are Legend on at the moment)... seriously talented band; love them. So looking forward to spending the evening with you.. and them of course! I had been looking (so far unsuccessfully) for a gig we could join up at beforehand.. I'll keep trying!
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 07:01

I really can't say anything less trite than I put his music on and it just brings a smile to my face. Even when I was listening to Sabbath & Zep in the 80's, I'd shove Ammonia Ave on just be sent to a happy, comfortable place; I admired his precision, high quality production, variety and the way the tracks were always structured across the albums..

Anyway, I have been having a good old Magenta run through of late (Revolutions in the car, We Are Legend on at the moment)... seriously talented band; love them. So looking forward to spending the evening with you.. and them of course! I had been looking (so far unsuccessfully) for a gig we could join up at beforehand.. I'll keep trying!

Home is on the Lazland deck right now Approve going to be a great night!
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 07:27

Home is on the Lazland deck right now Approve going to be a great night!

That and the New York Suite were on in the car all last week, on my rounds. I think they are both lovely, but somehow musically they just aren't quite as interesting as most of their others... essentially quite straight forward. Seven, Metamorphosis and We Are Legend are my faves...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 36>