Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 36>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 04:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am on holiday this week, so a busy one ahead.

Uploaded tonight.

Book Review page updated with All In It Together by Alwyn Turner.

Video of the Week - Bill Bruford.

Historic 2011 album reviews of Phideaux, VDGG, Arena, Jon Anderson, Majestic, Magnum, Believe & Rush added to 2011 section of Album Reviews by Year Page.

Nice run of reviews Steve, as well as another interesting book review. The Bruford video was icing on the cake. Another great early morning read. Clap

Thanks Steve. Yes, that Bruford video is a very good one.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 05:16
BTW, a great review of the OU album by Nick, which I first saw on Progressive Aspect. Listening to it again now, and this review is a hard act to follow.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 05:26

BTW, a great review of the OU album by Nick, which I first saw on Progressive Aspect. Listening to it again now, and this review is a hard act to follow.

Thanks. But I’m sure you would never follow, anyway. Your review for Ghost Toast was very different from mine, and I’m sure if you review OU that will be just as different. The way we review seems to be similar, but because we each hear things differently, the results are very different. I always enjoy your reviews, and especially when they are for albums I’ve reviewed myself, as you always note different things to me, and make me want to listen again with a new ear.

That OU album is something special, though. I really do like it a lot. I know a couple of people for whom the vocals are off-putting, and I think that will be the stumbling block for a lot of people. Personally, I love the vocals, but I can understand why some might find them “difficult”.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 06:18
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Thanks. But I’m sure you would never follow, anyway. Your review for Ghost Toast was very different from mine, and I’m sure if you review OU that will be just as different. The way we review seems to be similar, but because we each hear things differently, the results are very different. I always enjoy your reviews, and especially when they are for albums I’ve reviewed myself, as you always note different things to me, and make me want to listen again with a new ear.

That OU album is something special, though. I really do like it a lot. I know a couple of people for whom the vocals are off-putting, and I think that will be the stumbling block for a lot of people. Personally, I love the vocals, but I can understand why some might find them “difficult”.

You are right, we do hear and write about things differently, which is great. I like the OU vocals a great deal, and my review will make a point about the universal language of rock.

I am also really enjoying new James LaBrie, Von Hertzen Brothers, Held by Trees, and Enneade. My missus is leaving me to my own devices this weekend as she is going on a 4-day course, so this usually means even more music & writing, although I think it would be a struggle to do all of these in one swoop, but I might have a go.

2022 is shaping up to be a fine year for new music. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 07:12
Website updated today with reviews of albums by Ou, Von Hertzen Brothers, and Held By Trees, all on Album Reviews 2022 page.

As the day progresses, I will finish off historical album reviews from 2011 with Methexis, Wobbler, Disconnect, A Big Goodbye, Athelstone, Chest Rockwell, The Anabasis, and a little known band by the name of Yes.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 08:12

Website updated today with reviews of albums by Ou, Von Hertzen Brothers, and Held By Trees, all on Album Reviews 2022 page.

As the day progresses, I will finish off historical album reviews from 2011 with Methexis, Wobbler, Disconnect, A Big Goodbye, Athelstone, Chest Rockwell, The Anabasis, and a little known band by the name of Yes.
Excellent Steve! It's about time that Yes got some press.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 08:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Excellent Steve! It's about time that Yes got some press.

We do our bit!LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2022 at 10:46

First selection of historic 2010 album reviews added to Album Reviews By Year page. Reviews of David Minasian, Haken, Gazpacho, Spock’s Beard, Lunatic Soul, Peter Gabriel, Asia, The Reasoning, Mars Hollow, and Blackmore’s Night.

Video of the week updated - Mr Gabriel with a Solsbury Hill montage.

Sports section of Beer & News page updated with tribute to Phil Bennett, Welsh rugby legend who died yesterday.

Ale of the Week added to Beer & News Page.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2022 at 13:40

First selection of historic 2010 album reviews added to Album Reviews By Year page. Reviews of David Minasian, Haken, Gazpacho, Spock’s Beard, Lunatic Soul, Peter Gabriel, Asia, The Reasoning, Mars Hollow, and Blackmore’s Night.

Sports section of Beer & News page updated with tribute to Phil Bennett, Welsh rugby legend who died yesterday.

Good grief Steve, you can tell you've had a few days off work! I'll try and take a look this week.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2022 at 14:26
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Good grief Steve, you can tell you've had a few days off work! I'll try and take a look this week.

I have to say that going back to work since I created the site is even more difficult. I have a very selfish interest in Boris remaining as PM until the end of the year in that I hope and pray for the beloved brown envelope coming through the door! LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 06:55
New album reviews posted today. James LaBrie, Enneade, and Heidi Talbot (Irish born folk singer, whose latest album includes guest appearance by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits fame). Simply go to Album Reviews 2022 page and enjoy.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 07:49

New album reviews posted today. James LaBrie, Enneade, and Heidi Talbot (Irish born folk singer, whose latest album includes guest appearance by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits fame). Simply go to Album Reviews 2022 page and enjoy.

Hey Steve. I finally got to see/visit your site. The upper banner, or whatever that is called, is incredibly elegant. Loved, loved, and loved the tone of the blue. One of the finest I've ever seen. The site overall looks very fine too. But most importantly, I'm very interested in your writings there. Read only a review yet, but will do a lot more in the future. It will be pure delight, I'm sure. Kudos already! Clap
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 08:13
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Hey Steve. I finally got to see/visit your site. The upper banner, or whatever that is called, is incredibly elegant. Loved, loved, and loved the tone of the blue. One of the finest I've ever seen. The site overall looks very fine too. But most importantly, I'm very interested in your writings there. Read only a review yet, but will do a lot more in the future. It will be pure delight, I'm sure. Kudos already! Clap

Why, thank you, Ozgur - really kind.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2022 at 14:39

Further historic album reviews from 2010 added to Album Reviews by Year Page. Reviews of Odyssice, Kaipa, Lebowski, Jon Anderson, Mostly Autumn, Argos, Paatos, Matt Stevens, and All Over Everywhere.

Ale of the Week updated on Beer & News Page.

Video of the Week updated - Dim Gray.

Sports section of Beer & News Page updated with test cricket and rugby Premiership Final news.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 08:39

Sports section of Beer & News Page updated with test cricket and rugby Premiership Final news.

You're going to have to start taking on a team of staff before long, maybe even rent some office space above a green grocers in Llandeilo? LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 10:43
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

You're going to have to start taking on a team of staff before long, maybe even rent some office space above a green grocers in Llandeilo? LOL

LOL A table reserved in the couch at The Mansel would be preferable!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 07:47
It's been a bit of a busy week in Lazland, so only one new album review added today, but it is a good one. Bjørn Riis, Everything to Everyone, added to Album Reviews 2022 page. Hopefully I will be able to put pen to paper with my thoughts on the new PT album in the forthcoming days.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 10:11

It's been a bit of a busy week in Lazland, so only one new album review added today, but it is a good one. Bjørn Riis, Everything to Everyone, added to Album Reviews 2022 page. Hopefully I will be able to put pen to paper with my thoughts on the new PT album in the forthcoming days.
Waiting eagerly for your views on the new PT album, Steve. Strangely, I've not heard it yet. Embarrassed
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 13:42

2010 historic reviews of albums by Fourteen Twentysix, Nick Magnus, Panic Room, and Unitopia added. Go to Album Reviews by Year Page.

2009 element of the project started with reviews of Big Big Train, Porcupine Tree, Phideaux, Transatlantic, IQ, and Byron. The PT review is a historic one - I will publish a review of C/C later this week.

Ale of the Week added to Beer & News Page. Cricket report added to sports section of the same page.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 06:00
Website updated with my review of Porcupine Tree's Closure/Continuation on Album Reviews 2022 page, with the link here for your convenience and altogether better "experience"

https://lazland.org/album-reviews-2022/porcupine-tree-closurecontinuation 

WARNING - some folks of a sensitive nature might find comments in said review gratuitously offensive to their PT sensibilities, and lazland.org takes no responsibility for any personal injury which might be caused by said folks blowing their heads up in utter disgust Tongue

Video of the Week on the frontpage also updated - Merry Hell's Come On England.

Edited by lazland - June 29 2022 at 06:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 36>