Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 36>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 07:57
Hi Steve, 

I don't get the APP bashing either. The AP Project was always well infused with commercial outings on their albums. Songs like "Don't Answer Me" and "Eye In The Sky" are pure wonderful pop. Anyone can do pop and ballads but not as well as the APP. Sorry that you had a bad experience with your last few ale tastings, but you never know until you try them. Lol. Cheers mate!

Oh, a word on the entire format of your website, it's perfect and a pleasure to visit.

Edited by SteveG - July 26 2022 at 12:45
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 10:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Hi Steve, 

I don't get the APP bashing either. The AP Project was always well infused with commercial outings in their albums. Songs like "Don't Answer Me" and "Eye In The Sky" are pure wonderful pop. Anyone can do pop and ballads but not as well as the APP. Sorry that you had a bad experience with your last few ale tastings, but you never until you try them. Lol. Cheers mate!

Oh, a word on the entire format of your website, it's perfect and a pleasure to visit.

Thanks a lot Steve, as ever.

Yes, Parsons has made some fantastic music over the years, and it is further evidence that there are some purists who you will never please, really.

I am off to the boozer in about an hour and a half as it is Ladies Darts Night - Glynis plays rather than I putting some slap and a dress on! With any luck, Saturday’s experience will not be repeated, and, to be fair, this is the first such instance at Wales’ Champion Pub.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 03:11
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am off to the boozer in about an hour and a half as it is Ladies Darts Night - Glynis plays rather than I putting some slap and a dress on! With any luck, Saturday’s experience will not be repeated, and, to be fair, this is the first such instance at Wales’ Champion Pub.

struggling a bit with the sentence structure Steve... who is it that puts the dress on?  Ermm
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 05:57
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

struggling a bit with the sentence structure Steve... who is it that puts the dress on?  Ermm

LOL T’Missus,
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 06:09

LOL T’Missus,
LOL That made my morning!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 14:58
Gig review from the Lazland local pub. Ian Shimmin at The Mansel Arms doing some classic rock. Go to Gig News section of Beer & News Page.

Historical reviews project continues with the remainder of 2008 reviews in Album Reviews by Year page with albums by Marillion, Steven Wilson, David Gilmour, Mostly Autumn, Bryan Josh, Martin Orford, Blackmore’s Night, Abel Ganz.

Listening these past few days to a superb album by Darkher - review to follow hopefully on Monday.

Battling tonight with some extremely clunky responses from the web hosting service - they changed the format, and damned hard work to get used to. Why don't people leave things alone????
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 07:36
I'm really enjoying the older reviews these days, Steve. It was nice to revisit your excellent review on FEAR. An album that seems to get even better with time. And more relevant. I really like the videos that accompany the reviews. It adds a whole new dimension to them, even if I'm well versed in the music. This was something I proposed for PA in a thread way back and got my ears pinned back by Mr. Dean. (Bless him. I hope he's doing well.) I still feel that this is something that's still missing from PA reviews, but c'est la vie. 

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2022 at 07:36
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 07:51

This was something I proposed for PA in a thread way back and got my ears pinned back by Mr. Dean. (Bless him. I hope he's doing well.) 

I met Dean and his wife at a Threshold gig back in the day... lovely couple and he bought me a pint.. Star
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 09:08
I am sure Dean is a decent bloke to have a beer with.

As for changing the PA format, it will never happen as long as M@X is the owner. The look, format, and, indeed, rules governing PA are extremely tired, imo. However, I suspect that introducing major changes would cost him far more than any income he enjoys from it.

I do, though, love the videos that go along with the reviews, and the best review sites do this as well. It is a good way of introducing those unfamiliar with the artist to their music.

I am down to 146 pages on a Word document of old reviews, so it will probably be a wee while before this part of my project is completed. When it is, I intend going back through the years and reviewing albums which I did not review for PA for whatever reason. Some of the years are pretty threadbare in terms of content, and this was owing to frustration with PA mostly, plus other pressures at various times. I do not listen to much more new music now as I did in previous years. It is just that I am writing about it more now.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 10:26

Ol' Dean and I had many a heated exchange in these pages back in the day and were far from friends, but I harbor no ill will and would probably enjoy having a pint with him. As long as we don't talk prog or religion. Lol. Thanks for filling me in on the inner workings of PA, Steve. At least I have your excellent site to get my prog fix, with videos.

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2022 at 10:28
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 11:36

Ol' Dean and I had many a heated exchange in these pages back in the day and were far from friends, but I harbor no ill will and would probably enjoy having a pint with him. As long as we don't talk prog or religion. Lol. Thanks for filling me in on the inner workings of PA, Steve. At least I have your excellent site to get my prog fix, with videos.

You are too kind, sir!Smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 13:48

Ol' Dean and I had many a heated exchange in these pages back in the day and were far from friends, but I harbor no ill will and would probably enjoy having a pint with him. As long as we don't talk prog or religion. Lol.

I am so very sorry to read this Steve. I remember Dean from when he joined PA (darqDean as he was then..). he hadn't become an Admin then and just idled around as a humorous forum member, with rye observations on life. He wasn't a typical PA member, as he also liked a heavy slice of gothic and symph metal besides prog and back in around 2007, helped my set up my 'MySpace' page (much good that did me!) I guess we didn't argue, because I'm such a relative lightweight that I didn't harbour many strong views contrary to his own.. Confused
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 14:03

As for changing the PA format, it will never happen as long as M@X is the owner. The look, format, and, indeed, rules governing PA are extremely tired, imo. However, I suspect that introducing major changes would cost him far more than any income he enjoys from it.

I think you are spot on here. This format was absolutely fine for 2004, but the graphics now look more anachronistic than merely dated. Negotiating the site is laborious and clunky, but modifying this leviathan into anything more user-friendly after 18 years of linear, encyclopaedic band submissions would be far too labour intensive and costly.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 13:45

Ol' Dean and I had many a heated exchange in these pages back in the day and were far from friends, but I harbor no ill will and would probably enjoy having a pint with him. As long as we don't talk prog or religion. Lol.

I am so very sorry to read this Steve. I remember Dean from when he joined PA (darqDean as he was then..). he hadn't become an Admin then and just idled around as a humorous forum member, with rye observations on life. He wasn't a typical PA member, as he also liked a heavy slice of gothic and symph metal besides prog and back in around 2007, helped my set up my 'MySpace' page (much good that did me!) I guess we didn't argue, because I'm such a relative lightweight that I didn't harbour many strong views contrary to his own.. Confused
Oh, don't take it to heart. I told Dean many times that I respected his deep knowledge and that he brought an air of class to this website that is sadly missing since he's gone, so it wasn't always
negative between us, just on some occasions.

Edited by SteveG - July 30 2022 at 13:47
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 15:21

New album review of Darkher, The Buried Storm, added to Album Reviews 2022 page. This is a cracker and the accompanying videos really are well worth watching.

Video of the Week – Returned to the Earth.

Some updates to my blog on Beer & News Page – Ale of the Week, a celebration of England Women Football on Sports Section, and a few thoughts about the passing of Nichelle Nichols on News Section.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 15:27

New album review of Darkher, The Buried Storm, added to Album Reviews 2022 page. This is a cracker and the accompanying videos really are well worth watching.

nice to see Darkher getting some love. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 14:13
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

nice to see Darkher getting some love. 

Yes, and she sent a pleasant message after getting the review. A really good project.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 14:14

No 2022 album reviews tonight – catchup intended over the next three days on a teaching visit to London, there being not a great deal else to do in god awful corporate hotels or long train journeys.

In the meantime, we have the usual Ale of the Week feature on Beer & News Page.

The historic album reviews project continues with 2007 and reviews of albums by Fish, Marillion, Dream Theater, Satellite, Porcupine Tree, and Chris Squire.

2006 element of the project with reviews of albums by Sylvan, The Flower Kings, Julian Julien, and Decemberists.

Neither year was prolific, and I intend to revisit years such as these when all historic reviews are completed with brand new reviews.

Video of the Week - The Dead South.

Edited by lazland - August 08 2022 at 14:24
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 15:16

2006 element of the project with reviews of albums by Sylvan

Will certainly make a detour to see what you say about PS... Cool

I was also a big fan of Satellite too... 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2022 at 05:09
Steve, I hope you don't mind my typing this here:

I have just put in a small order with Will @ Caerllysi which included Magenta's 'Songs From The Big Room' EP. Apparently, the band have now sold out with no plans to re-press, but Will still has a small number left:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 36>