2 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.38%]
5 [15.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 00:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

But in general, I don't mind seeing things like Pulp Fiction, but it bothers me that Jean-Luc Godard is not even appreciated in America, but a Hollywood film can copy and make fun of it (cheeseburger is one, and that is done more than once in Godard films!) ... but no one will bother to check the originals and find how it was that the copy came about ... more or less!

I think contemporary Directors like Quentin Tarantino, Adam Wingard and J.J. Abrams represent, to a certain extent, the death of the auteur and are broadly analogous to what we might call 'Post-Modern Prog' bands like Wobbler, Black Bonzo, Flower Kings, Big Big Train et al i.e. you can tell they've mastered their craft and drilled right down to the minutiae of their inspiration but do they really have anything new to bring to the table? (apart from modern production, fidelity values and genre homages?)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 04:27
M is the only one that isn't foreign to me as a German but now I'm living in Italy... still voting for La Dolce Vita, it's just too good! Otherwise: Breathless - Solaris - Rashomon - Satantango. Some great stuff here but where are the Americans? (Yes that was mentioned before. Wink)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 08:11
Hi,

I miss the discussion and attention to some of these things listed. Here are some mini comments on them.

Akira Kurosawa - Showed in SEVEN SAMURAI how well he could FRAME a shot, even when it appeared many of the actors were improvising in the background to fill the scene. His "frame" masterpiece is RAN.

Jean Luc Godard - BREATHLESS, believe it or not I have to see this again. I don't even remember ever reviewing it for some reason, and never thought it was one of the films that made a difference with Godard's irreverent camera and filming.

Federico Fellini - Both films are no doubt outstanding but they have not aged well at all. But if you really want to get an outstanding idea of what Fellini is about, you MUST WATCH THE FIRST 5 MINUTES of INTERVISTA. It tells you everything you need to know about Fellini.

Ingmar Bergman - The important thing to watch is the number of films with Sven Nykvist. It is not as good when Sven Nykvist was not there, in my book, and some cinematographers tried to extend the the close ups and the faces, but they did not have the touch.

Luis Bunuel - Surrealist to the end. Hard to explain this to a "rock" audience, since "surrealism" in most music is not happening and is very difficult to find and determine. Frank Zappa had a lot of those moments, but he did not stick with them, and likely most of them are in 200 Motels, something that rock fans can't watch or appreciate, considering that it was one of the first to bring video to film!

Jacques Rivette - Mostly for his grace in allowing the actresses to live out their character. However, some folks don't like how so much of his work is "extended" to the point of looking like it is boring. It is anything but! The grandest, and the film most disliked of his, is LA BELLE NOISEUSSE, a film that is 4 hours long, but the great beauty in it, is not the acting or anything else ... is watching a painting being born and finished as a huge painting. Sadly, rock fans hate details, and seeing a hand on the screen doing its brush strokes means that rock fans will skip this film and not appreciate the ART behind it! It is an appreciation of not only one art, but others as well. As the film details towards the end ... it's not a photograph! And we don't know the difference!

Edited by moshkito - May 17 2022 at 07:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12