21 [52.50%]
2 [5.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on Hey Hey Rise Up by Pink Floyd 1-10
    Posted: April 08 2022 at 19:00
I think I will give it a 7/10, because it was a good song. 

My review: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2736521

Edited by SuperMetro - April 08 2022 at 19:00
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 19:29
I personally liked it. Not the best song, but good enough to give it a second listen.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 19:46
I like it. The excellent vocals and the lyrics raise it far above the somewhat mediocre song it would be otherwise.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 20:04
I voted good. I was a bit disappointed at it's short length, but it's very good for what it is, and even more so as something unexpected.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 00:42
The scale appears broken, as it ends with 10, which is described as being almost up there with songs from DSotM.

Honestly, and I know I, being picky, it was foolish to add that after Masterpiece. If you’d left it there, I’d not have thought anything more of it.

But there are a whole heap of people for whom DSotM is not their favourite, and if they were asked to give their Floydian masterpiece it could be something entirely different. That’s not to say DSotM is not a masterpiece, but you have added that little nugget and it makes me unable to vote for any option.

Because if 10 is “almost up there” with DSotM, then it stands to reason that every number below 10 falls further and further behind the masterpiece of DSotM. And if someone like me isn’t particularly enamoured with DSotM, then there now necessarily has to be a further sequence of numbers starting with 11, to recognise that this song might be more enjoyable than the songs on DSotM.

That’s my thoughts on your thoughts poll. It’s a great idea for a poll, ruined by the unnecessary comparison to DSotM. Neither Monstrosity, nor Masterpiece, required any additional words. As soon as you do so, you are making boundaries that others may not agree with, nor feel comfortable with.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 01:09
Somewhere between a 6 and 7. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 01:38
I think the sentiments behind the making of the song are extremely laudable especially with all the proceeds going to humanitarian relief. Unfortunately I think the song itself is terrible.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 01:42
I think a 6 will fit the song somewhat better than a 5.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 01:46
In all honesty, whether it is any good or not is a little bit beside the point, but I think it rates as good. I like it.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 04:21
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I like it. The excellent vocals and the lyrics raise it far above the somewhat mediocre song it would be otherwise.

I gave it a 5 (it's a straight-blues track), but upon reading your comment about the lyrics, I had to go back and see if he's sung in English and I had missed it for a bizarre reason.

Surely the Ukrainian lyrics are poignant , but for all I know he could be singing about anything Ukrainian (that's the only word I understood).
But let's believe that the lyrics are good and his voice is OK (but not great)

I guess I gave it a lower rating because it shouldn't be linked to the Floyd name, IMHO.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 04:33
I think it is a great initiative and I don't feel any need to rate this track.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 04:38
I am between 6 and 7 and rounded up for its intent.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 06:48
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

In all honesty, whether it is any good or not is a little bit beside the point, but I think it rates as good. I like it.
Absolutely. It's the cause it supports that matters, and the song itself is pretty good as well. I've just added the Ukrainian flag alongside the EU flag which is on the flag pole in my garden.
Slava Ukraine!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 14:03
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 14:39
^ Ditto. I think the addition of Nitin Sawhney as a keyboard player is an excellent move; he's a fantastic composer and multi instrumentalist and i think that this 4 piece line up could produce some excellent new music.. it probably wont happen but i think this song (and the musicians involved) has its heart in the right place and i salute its intensions.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 14:40
I would give it a solid 7.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 14:58
I'm all about the 7....
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 15:00
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I think it is a great initiative and I don't feel any need to rate this track.
THIS

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/pink-floyds-new-single-the-internet-has-reacted-and-not-all-of-it-is-good

^ This
THIS

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

^ Ditto. I think the addition of Nitin Sawhney as a keyboard player is an excellent move; he's a fantastic composer and multi instrumentalist and i think that this 4 piece line up could produce some excellent new music.. it probably wont happen but i think this song (and the musicians involved) has its heart in the right place and i salute its intensions.
AND THIS
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2022 at 06:58
It’s OK, but not something that’s going to get a lot of rotations. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2022 at 07:23
Probably around a 6. Nice bass work from Mr Pratt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>