Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which songs do you confirm are played to death?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which songs do you confirm are played to death?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 22:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^I wonder if that chili dog lyric is some kind of double entendre? 

I prefer not to wonder about it and in any case just try to not hear it when I'm listening to the song... lol
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
WJA-K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJA-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 01:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Put PF's "another brick in the wall part 2" on that list too and also a few other PF song(half of DSOTM for example). And while I hate to say it, "limelight,""spirit of radio" and "Tom Sawyer" have also been played to death. The truth is most classic rock songs have been played to death. That's why these days I prefer the deep tracks channel on sirius xm otherwise I'll just play the proper album where the played out songs sound ok in their proper context.
I have the same feeling about half of DSOTM. I played it to death myself. But The Wall too.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 11:30
Two that come to mind are 'Zeppelin's Kashmir and 'Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 15:26
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Two that come to mind are 'Zeppelin's Kashmir and 'Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama.

At home, all ZEP LPs (from LZ1 to Presence) are 'played to death' stuff
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 07:34
If it's getting airplay in 2022: it's overplayed.
The Prog Corner
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 09:33
The classic rock stations over play quite a few..many were already named above .. I'll add...

Eagles -Hotel California
Journey- Don't Stop Believin
Stones- Can't Always Get.. 
Boston-More Than a A feeling
Kansas-Carry On My Wayward son
BOC-Reaper
Foreigner- Feels Like the first time........................not anymore.  Wink
etc......

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 10:26
Queen have been one of my favourite bands since 1984, BUT, I can suggest a few songs of theirs That are not only played to death, but also amongst my least faves by them, because they are much more commercial than the bulk of their material and do not represent what their albums generally sound like;
ie Killer Queen (spoils the flow if Sheer Heart Attack for me)
Somebody to Love
Don't Stop Me Now. (way too commercial)
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 10:28
Are a lot of people's selections born out if them being played on Planet Rock?
If so, I can see why. I stopped listening to it, mainly because it tends to play mainly 'straight ahead rock' and not enough progressive rock for my liking.
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darksinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 01:14
Pachebel-Cannon 

Edited by darksinger - April 24 2022 at 01:15
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 07:08
Mr. Bloody Bluesky…..
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 07:23
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by WJA-K WJA-K wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I don't listen to the radio that much but I can't think of many stations that would play the first 3 much. Bo Rap and Imagine are obviously played a lot but if you listen to Magic or Smooth in the UK, I would guess Baker Street is the most played song. 
Maybe it's even played to death by oneself? I played Money far too much I guess.

There are a few songs I have played too much, most of The Joshua Tree for example.
I never get tired of listening to The Joshua Tree and maybe you too feel the same way. Wink
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 09:35
All songs I possibly could name are just songs I already dislike in the first place. A truly good song can't be played to death, but that's just how I look at things. Then again, I never listen to the radio unless I'm with other people. Probably the song I've heard the most on the radio, and one that happens to be one I play myself regularly as well is Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. But I'm always happy to listen to it.

I'm surprised to see 21st Century Schizoid Man come up. I've never heard that songs outside of my own volition.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 22:28
There are certain songs that can drive me right out of a store with my ears covered and me repeating “La La La La La!!!” Losing My Religion by REM and All I Want For Xmas is You by Mariah Carey top the list, but there are many others: Runaround by Blues Traveler, Only Wanna Be with You by Hootie & the Blowfish, All For You by Sister Hazel, Round Here by Counting Crows, Higher by Creed, and Smooth by the Matchbox 20 guy & Santana (Santana, why?) to name a few. Most of these are 90s songs further confirming my theory about how great the 60s, 70s, and 80s were for music.

Edited by Jaketejas - May 15 2022 at 22:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12