Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite Zeuhl albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 04:37
Might be good to know:
PA's  Zeuhl definition
Zeuhl is an adjective in Kobaïan, the language written by Christian Vander, drummer and founder of the French band Magma.
Pronunciation: zEU(h)l, while the EU are like a French E with a slight U, and the (h) is a semi-silent letter which is an integrated part of the EU, totaling in a "syllable and a half".
The word means celestial, although many times it is misunderstood as meaning "celestial music", since the members of Magma describe the genre of their music as Zeuhl. Zeuhl Wortz, though, means Music of the universal might.
The genre is a mixture of musical genres like Neoclassicism, Romanticism, Modernism and Fusion. Common elements: oppressive or discipline-conveying feel, marching themes, throbbing bass, an ethereal piano or Rhodes piano, and brass instruments. 

Edited by David_D - April 25 2022 at 04:56
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 12:32

I wonder if Paul has any favourites of "Music of the universal might" - he has almost had a suggestion for Avant-Prog. Big smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 05:13

Any other Zeuhl favourites outthere?  Tongue
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 05:22
Nothing much to add that hasn’t already been mentioned. Obviously a large chunk of the Magma discography would make my list, as well as Weidorje’s and Laurent Thibault’s albums.

A fine recent Zeuhl album worth hearing is “Budo” by Vak.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 13:58
Might be interesting to know about Magma's albums for those who don't know it already:

"Magma's first album, Magma (later reissued as Kobaïa), told a story of refugees fleeing a future Earth and settling on a fictional planet called Kobaïa.[20] The lyrics were all in Kobaïan (except the title track, sung mostly in English), a language Vander constructed for the album, some sung by soloists and others by "massive quasi-operatic choruses".[3] Over the next three decades Magma made a further thirteen albums that continued the mythology of Kobaïa, all sung in Kobaïan.[18]"

(from Wikipedia's article about Magma, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magma_(band)#Koba%C3%AFan )

Edited by David_D - April 28 2022 at 17:00
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 01:51
Magma: Köhntarkösz, K.A., Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré, Zëss (Le Jour du Néant)
Weidorje: s/t
Einder Stellaire - Eider Stellaire I
KoenjiHyakkei - Dhorimviskha

Edited by someone_else - April 29 2022 at 01:51
DangHeck View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangHeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 09:53
I'm definitely looking to take some notes on bands and albums I'm not yet familiar. I do really enjoy Zeuhl, but compared to other Prog idioms, I'm still pretty green on the lot of it.

I love Mathematical Mother by Universal Totem Orchestra (Rituale Alieno is up there for me too); probably my favorite from Magma is Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, but I also love the debut and, if I remember correctly, Kohntarkosz; I love Koenji Hyakkei probably the most for the bands that I know and it's tough... between Nivraym, Angherr Shisspa and Dhorimviskha (seriously, tough); my favorite Zao album is probably Shekina; and my favorite frrom Ruins is maybe(...?) Vrresto? Refusal Fossil was pretty good, too. Hard to remember where I'm at with Ruins, for instance.
Screwgun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screwgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 18:58
I have to be in a certain mood to listen to Zeuhl. When I do it's always Weidorje.
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 03:52
Does Merci count?

That's the only one I listen to pretty regularly.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 10:22

13 MagmaHhai / Live Fra1975Live, Zeuhl
13 SetnaGuerison Fra2013Zeuhl
12 Eskaton4 Visions Fra1980Zeuhl
12 MagmaMagma Fra1970Zeuhl
12 Scherzoo03 Fra2015Fusion, Zeuhl
12 SetnaCycle I Fra2007Zeuhl
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 16:09
Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

Does Merci count?

That's the only one I listen to pretty regularly.

Love, DreamTechPlus.

If you mean the 1985 Magma album, I'd say yes.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 16:20
My absolute favourite Zeuhl album is "Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie", the 2001 live album of Magma. "K. A" and "Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré" are my favourite studio albums of Magma. The repeated chanting of "Hallelujah" on "K.A" is out of this world. And "Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré" sounds like a Zeuhl Black Mass.

I also love "Infernal Machina" by Jannick Top; it sounds like a battle between the forces of Good and Evil, with Evil winning.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 21 2022 at 16:24

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 16:27
[QUOTE=David_D]
Might be good to know:
PA's  Zeuhl definition
Zeuhl is an adjective in Kobaïan, the language written by Christian Vander, drummer and founder of the French band Magma.
Pronunciation: zEU(h)l, while the EU are like a French E with a slight U, and the (h) is a semi-silent letter which is an integrated part of the EU, totaling in a "syllable and a half".
The word means celestial, although many times it is misunderstood as meaning "celestial music", since the members of Magma describe the genre of their music as Zeuhl. Zeuhl Wortz, though, means Music of the universal might.
The genre is a mixture of musical genres like Neoclassicism, Romanticism, Modernism and Fusion. Common elements: oppressive or discipline-conveying feel, marching themes, throbbing bass, an ethereal piano or Rhodes piano, and brass instruments. 

The French/German TV-channel Arte broadcasted a feature on Magma in June 2021 and described Zeuhl as a mixture of jazz, rock, classical, modern avant-garde, R'n'B, metal and world music.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 07:42

A new album has found its happy way to my rather modest Zeuhl collection, and it's

Universal Totem Orchestra (I) - Mathematical Mother (2016)

Edited by David_D - April 25 2023 at 06:20
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2023 at 16:31
Definitely not Eros by Dün, because no zeuhl. But I am gonna go with a personal favourite of mine: kultivator and masal by jean Paul prat. Zao also hast great albums. And the Second gaan is huge..
Sadly hard to get.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2023 at 20:00
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

My absolute favourite Zeuhl album is "Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie", the 2001 live album of Magma. "K. A" and "Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré" are my favourite studio albums of Magma. The repeated chanting of "Hallelujah" on "K.A" is out of this world. And "Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré" sounds like a Zeuhl Black Mass.

This in spades.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2023 at 04:35
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

..... my rather modest Zeuhl collection, .....

But actually, it's now only one album less than my Electronic Prog collection, a sub-genre I think of as being quite fond of.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12