Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magician's Red - symphonic prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Cleve Chronicle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magician's Red - symphonic prog
    Posted: April 22 2022 at 10:14
I would like to submit my own band for consideration. We are not literally signed to a record label, but we have just released a full-length (43min) album that is possible to buy from iTunes and various digital services, and I would argue that it is of professional production quality Smile

Here is the album on Spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/3R9jpS4WoON1cxa7M1453b?si=MKVMmINnTTSVsidgWichtQ

If you are not a user, it can also be found from Apple Music, Tidal, YouTube and various other platforms. The name of the album is Threshold.

I feel a little uneasy choosing a subgenre since we are still refining our sound and it's kind of hard for me to view it objectively. But I guess Symphonic Prog would be appropriate. Please tell me if you think that we would fit better into a different subgenre.

Here is a picture:

Our lineup actually changed recently and we still don't have pictures of the new one. We're working on it LOL

But this is the best one we currently have.

Here is a biography, I hope it's satisfactory:

Magician’s Red were formed in 2019 in Helsinki, Finland at the initiative of guitarist and multi-instrumentalist Kalle Mattila. His goal was to write fresh progressive rock that was heavily influenced by the 70’s classics, while steering away from simply recreating something that had already been done. He enlisted his friends Jon Pettersson (bass), Otso Kauniskangas (keyboards) and Aaro Ruohonen (drums) to play in the band and write songs together. By December 2019 they had a full live set of original music, and the best of this early material would end up on their debut EP, “There’s No Need To Fear”, released in May 2020.

The COVID pandemic forced the band on a gigging hiatus just as they were getting started, but they used the extra time to write material for their first full length album. The previous EP had been fully instrumental and the band was now looking to expand their sound with vocals. “Threshold” was eventually released in April 2022, and ended up being the only album from the original lineup, as Pettersson and Kauniskangas departed on good terms to focus on other interests. The band’s new line up consists of Mattila, Ruohonen, bassist Otso Puolakka and keyboardist/trumpetist Taneli Mikkola.

Out of classic prog acts, the band’s sound is perhaps most often compared to Genesis, Camel, Focus and Pekka Pohjola. Other musical influences that shine through include 90’s video game music (in itself a genre heavily influenced by 70’s prog) and perhaps a touch of Japanese pop. The still young band continues to explore and refine their sound and hopes to release many more albums in the future.

---

Here's a link to our Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/magiciansredofficial

You can also find us on Instagram, username magiciansredofficial

And for good measure, here's our YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcYwe6MvU9oIJy7teC8RwEA

It's still pretty quiet over there, but there's a couple of neat live clips

But to save your time, the most important thing to check out is the album I linked in the beginning of the post. I hope you find our music worthy of inclusion in the Archives Beer

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 10:43
Aye, you're welcome, first track sounds very promising Clap
a professional production for sure

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 11:20
Threshold

Digital Album, self-released

1. Dark Flow, Part I - Dissociation (8:33)
2. Dark Flow, Part II - Combustion (7:07)
3. Upside Down, Inside Out (7:45)
4. Crossing The Threshold (10:07)
5. Dark Flow, Part III - Homeostasis (9:29)

Total time: 43:01

- Kalle Mattila / guitars, lead & backing vocals, synthesizer
- Otso Kauniskangas / keyboards, lead & backing vocals
- Jon Pettersson / bass, synthesizer, percussion
- Aaro Ruohonen / drums, vocals

Edited by Rivertree - April 22 2022 at 12:00

St.Cleve Chronicle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Cleve Chronicle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 11:40
Thanks a lot! Smile The album info seems correct, except the second track is 7:07, and at least according to Spotify the total time should be 43:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Cleve Chronicle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 11:42
Oh, and also there's a typo in our keyboardist's name; it's Kauniskangas. Finnish names can be tricky as our language doesn't seem to be related to almost any other ones LOL
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2022 at 11:57
thanx, updated ...

Edited by Rivertree - April 22 2022 at 11:59

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 05:08
Send this band to the symphonic team for evaluation. Don't see to fit anywhere but to us
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 14:27
... and added to the Archives now ...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Cleve Chronicle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 03:53
Thank you, it is truly an honour! Handshake

I do feel like a bit of a dork for being credited for a bio where I talk about myself in the third person LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply