Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should aging rockers need to pass a test?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 07:31
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'm a massive 59 year old Stones fan but I would happily sign a petition to have them retire or make a contribution to crowd funding their assassination. Similarly, ELP's final shambolic and embarrassing live performance at High Voltage in 2010 could have been avoided if they had just retired gracefully with their dignity still intact.

"but I would happily sign a petition to have them retire or make a contribution to crowd funding their assassination"

Personally, I'd have done that in about 1965, to be honest.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 07:55
I may be the only one here who holds this opinion, but it's worth remembering that veteran cosmic rocker Peter Frampton showed us the way to go by recording his best album: "Frampton Forgets the Words" (2021) at the  grand old age of 70. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 24 2022 at 07:57
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 08:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,
You know... we've had this whole bootleg discussion here on PA before. Not so long ago. I must have other main musical interests than you have. Another focus. I love being at concerts of all kinds, but mostly just buy live jazz albums. Because they are often totally unique and sound wonderful. Other than that I collect live albums from a very limited group of bands, like Can, Magma and Tangerine Dream.

There's a whole world of music out there from all over the world that I still haven't heard at all. Not even once. So I focus on this checking out some band from Eastern Europe or North Africa for the first time rather than hearing the eleventh bootleg version of Set The Controls... Also I'm "into sound" in ways you aren't - which is probably why sh*tty sounding bootlegs will always by testing my patience, and have less appeal to me than they have for you. Plus I really don't like listening to audience clapping and cheering. Especially not huge crowds. I'm about as fond of that as I am listening to people chewing, slurping or lip-smacking out loud when they eat (=not fond at all).

Somehow I don't mind the polite applause, and quiet chit-chatting furthest back in the soundspace on some of my favorite live jazz-albums. Guess I prefer to pretend I'm at a lively little jazzbar in ca. 1964.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Good for you. I definitely feel something too, but not in a good way. I react similarly to this as to when a good text ruined by bad acting. I look the other way ... or leave.

The only comment I will make about this is that we need to be careful, because sometimes the design is to shake up the institution of tradition, and this was a huge point in theater in the 50's in England (the angry young men) and then America (the Actor's Studio) when all of a sudden the theatrical style is to be more emotional and thus, stronger, something that was not "allowed" in the older versions of it. The same for Shakespeare, all of a sudden being acted WITHOUT THE POETRY, which drove English Professors at your local University into so much anger, that they still hate the Theater Departments for it! AND teach against it! The Iambic Pentcrapinches is more important than the words!

I guess we don't really know what it all means, right?
But that was clearly not the issue here, and not what my analogy was about. I wasn't born yesterday, and I've seen, heard and experienced many different ways of human expression. Enough to know that there are different schools and different approaches to acting.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 12:38
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

If they still sound decent enough, even though not close at all to their prime, still want to continue, and people want to see them, who am I to tell them what to do?

This.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 15:37
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

You people haven't listened to enough bootlegs from the '70s.

It is rare for rock musicians to actually sound good, like how we imagine them, like how they sound on records.   It isn't real or within normal human means to perform at any level of greatness except under fleeting circumstances and at the height of an artist's powers.   You know why we have Band of Gypsys and The Song Remains the Same and Bursting Out ?   Because those were acceptable performances that, with a little enhancement, sounded golden.   But they weren't golden.   No performance ever is.   It show business, smoke and mirrors.
Another problem we often have is that we are biased by the original, studio versions. As a kid, I wanted concert performances to provide perfect renditions of each band's studio versions. Some bands/artists were good at this, others not. Eventually, I got good at learning to engage with the artist at their current level, that day, expressing the music they felt like performing on the terms that inspired them. I think listening to jazz and learning about improvisation in music helped in this regard. Still, I have never acquired a love of live recordings--I'd much rather be present at the live performance as the energy of the whole is so important in order to feel and enjoy the full impact of the concert.

Mm-hm, it's a big step to accept an artist on their own terms.   And except in a few cases, I'd agree about being present at a live show.   The energy is incredible, and if the players are on that night and the sound guy knows what he/she is doing, there's nothing like it.   I've had whole musical epiphanies & conversions based on seeing one great gig.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 16:14
Remember when Pete Townsend wrote, "Hope I die before I get old?" That's kind of funny now. If the artists want to play, let them. If people want to see them play, let them. Both must understand they are no longer 21. A friend of mine saw Yes a couple of years ago with John Lodge opening. He said both were excellent. Good artists trade verve for nuance. The test already exists - the success of the performances and tours.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 17:10
It depends. Colin Blunstone became a better vocalist in his late 50s when he actually took singing lessons for the first time to improve both his power and range. When he sang with the Zombies at the RRHOF a few years ago, having just turned 72, he was was great.

Edited by SteveG - April 24 2022 at 17:16
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 17:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

You people haven't listened to enough bootlegs from the '70s.

It is rare for rock musicians to actually sound good, like how we imagine them, like how they sound on records.   It isn't real or within normal human means to perform at any level of greatness except under fleeting circumstances and at the height of an artist's powers.   You know why we have Band of Gypsys and The Song Remains the Same and Bursting Out ?   Because those were acceptable performances that, with a little enhancement, sounded golden.   But they weren't golden.   No performance ever is.   It show business, smoke and mirrors.

That Who clip is full of soul, sadness and loss.   It's human, which is what rock was supposed to be, what 'Behind Blue Eyes' is all about, and it is a moving rendition.

Completely agree here. While I do think there are certain artists who should hang it up at some point (looking at you, Yes), to me this cover of Behind Blue Eyes was a nice choice for the band members' ages. It actually recontextualizes the song into something sadder and more melancholic than the original tune, which Roger's now-withering voice only compliments further.

And hey, let's just be glad we didn't get an updated version of the Limp Bizkit cover LOL

Edited by Necrotica - April 24 2022 at 17:14
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 17:23
I appreciated the performance, although I would have rather heard an updated version of “My Generation”.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 00:28
Jon Anderson still sounds amazing, and Bob Fripp continues to astound. 

Many musicians played well into seniority, including Andres Segovia (I saw him in concert in his 80s, he was amazing) and so forth.  

The artists and fans have to adapt to the passing of time.  Ripples never come back.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 00:34
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Well it looks like another one of my heroes has broken my heart by staying in the game too long.
Honestly, when will they learn?
I'm of the mind that aging rockers should have to pass some sort of Rock N Roll test, like some seniors need to do for a driver's license. It just ain't right I tell ya.

Really?  I'm nearly 67, I see nothing at all wrong with this performance!  Roger & Company aren't the kids they were at Woodstock, but neither am I.  

I've heard MUCH worse from far younger artists. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 12:14
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 12:37
^I saw Zombies live sometime during that period. Maybe the same year. They were great!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 16:51
Steve Hackett does not age . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 05:06
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^I saw Zombies live sometime during that period. Maybe the same year. They were great!
I saw them live, for the first time, around the same time too. Maybe a year or two sooner, and was blown away. I became a big fan after that.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 05:31
It gets embarrassing when aging rock musicians try to act like they are still 25 (The Rolling Stones), or if they try to sing the same way, but can't.

But then there are also artists who have stood by their age and managed to make something genuine out of it. Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Johnny Cash are good examples of that. I might go as far as to say that Johnny Cash peaked in his final years.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 05:36
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

But then there are also artists who have stood by their age and managed to make something genuine out of it. Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Johnny Cash are good examples of that. I might go as far as to say that Johnny Cash peaked in his final years.

Completely agreed. I think one of the best examples is Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt, which wouldn't be nearly as impactful if he was younger 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 06:57
I feel somewhat ambivalent about this. Yes there are some rare cases where X artist manage to cram out something wholly unique and wondrous at the tail end of their career…but more than often I feel older artists tend to make the same album over and over again.
Scott Walker though totally proved me wrong…so did Bowie with his swan song.

Then there are those who just can’t perform the way they used to…which some times give away to quite different and interesting takes…but honestly speaking? Had I paid for say..a ticket to go see Lou Reed during his latter day tours…man I would’ve been very disappointed. ‘Has he forgotten the music he wrote…or is merely trying to turn it into something that nobody can recognise? Both! Alrighty then’

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 27 2022 at 06:57
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 07:49
 Defiantly seems like something that effects vocalists more. Many of the older guys , especially the ones that sing hard rock, don't have the range they use to have. 
 That being said I have been pleasantly surprised on a few occasions. I saw a version of Jefferson Airplane/ Starship in the early 90's. Papa John Creach came out on stage for a few songs. He could barley walk on to the stage & I thought "this is not going to go well. " Then he raised his bow & started to play & it was pure magic! The man could barley walk but he could still play. It was the highlight of the show for me. 

Edited by Argo2112 - April 27 2022 at 10:56
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 09:31
John McLaughlin is 80.  I'd pay to see him at any venue, any time.  

Edited by cstack3 - April 27 2022 at 09:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>