Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Around the World in Eighty Progressive Days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThewigofLudwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Around the World in Eighty Progressive Days
    Posted: April 24 2022 at 14:34
Around the World in Eighty Progressive Days

Playlist:

Here is a journey through different countries, continents, atmospheres, times and subgenres. From France to Ireland, from Bahrain to Iceland, from Korea to Mexico. The common denominator is symphonic thinking. But not understood as in the "symphonic prog" label, which although very famous is confusing, not to say empty. Perhaps, it is more about a verb than a noun, a symphonizing of ideas.

It is not about paying homage to orchestral exercises, which are often clumsy because tight (e.g. The London Symphony Orchestra Featuring Ian Anderson), nor to the n variation of classic milestones (e.g. Ciclos de Canarios (1974)). It is about exposing all those symphonies that were born outside a classical orchestra and decided to return to it (e.g. Zappa) or go even further (e.g. Gentle Giant).

Without losing obvious and indisputable gems, the route (random or capricious at times) invites you to walk less usual paths and avoid stepping on too common places. The truth is that too many bands and albums have been overrated in the history of rock, and progressive is no exception. From a perspective less blinded by fame, influence and prestige, progressive rock is not a tale centered in England and starring Yes, Genesis, etc., but a recurring story or, if you prefer, a continuous outbreak here and there of ideas that urged to be musicalized, as well as of musical motifs that demand to be conceptualized.

Focused on musical insights, breakthroughs, risks and achievements, the geography highlights other areas of Europe, such as Belgium (e.g. Univers Zero) and Holland (e.g. Flairck), not to mention Finland (e.g. Pekka Pohjola), or within Latin America, Brazil (e.g. Hermeto Pascoal). True, much of the Italian Renaissance remains unscathed (e.g. Banco's work) but certain injustices are reversed (e.g. Pierrot Lunaire's Gudrun (1976) is not even considered an excellent addition to the classic collection). On this tour, it all starts with Miles Davies and if you pay a visit, it's not David Gilmour first but Hermann Szobel, to mention just one less well-studied genius.

In short, this is nothing more than an invitation to go back to listen to some tracks, some albums and make progressive what it should always be, less conservative.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 14:52
I’m going to check it out, just to see if Aotearoa is represented! 😜🇳🇿🥝

ThewigofLudwig View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThewigofLudwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 15:59
Needless to say, the list is not intended to be exhaustive at any time, it is more of a journey as pleasant as it is tormented.

Edited by ThewigofLudwig - April 24 2022 at 16:02
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThewigofLudwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 16:00
You will find Ragnarok. I also know Split Enz. Can you give me more recommendations?
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 00:30
Originally posted by ThewigofLudwig ThewigofLudwig wrote:

You will find Ragnarok. I also know Split Enz. Can you give me more recommendations?

Yes, but it is not the NZ Ragnarok in your playlist, but rather the Swedish band. But I was really only joking. I didn’t expect to see any NZ prog in your list. The country is hardly renowned for its prog. 😄🤪

I have to get the children ready for school, but I shall think about recommendations after that.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThewigofLudwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 17:54
If I remember well I put both of them... Cheers
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 00:22

If I remember well I put both of them... Cheers

Yes, you did. You’re right, and I apologise! 

It’s actually a really interesting selection, and I very much hope that more people have taken a look and/or listen to your playlist than have commented on your post.

You’ve definitely progged around the world, in time and space, covering many eras, countries and genres, yet managing to keep it loosely based around the symphonic theme. As you say, this is not Symphonic Prog, as PA defines it, but a symphonic sound that can be found in multiple (PA) genres.

I have much of what is in the playlist already, so I guess I was always inclined to enjoy it. But there are some new albums there that it introduces me to.

How long did it take you to make this?

I began with an apology, and I’ll end with one, too. I did forget to come back with some Kiwi suggestions. Unfortunately, I’m replying here while in the process of getting the kids ready for school, which means as much as I might intend to come back with some suggestions for Aotearoa prog, I may well forget (again).  So I apologise for forgetting already, and in advance if I do again. 🤪

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 07:20
So it took a death to remind me to post here, which is not the greatest of reasons, but hey.
I found out this morning that Dragon co-founder, lead guitarist, and occasional vocalist, Ray Goodwin had died.

I’ve been listening to my favourite Dragon album, “Scented Gardens for the Blind”, their 1975 Vertigo release. I found that the official Dragon YouTube channel has a playlist for the album which includes the non-album singles recorded and released around the same time, and the b-sides. I have never heard these, so in sharing this playlist here, I’m also finding something new for myself.

A shame it took someone’s death for me to find it, but I guess that counts as the silver lining to a black cloud? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

And the last time I wrote about this album on this forum:

🇳🇿🥝

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThewigofLudwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 11:06
Thank you for the comments and the kiwi recommendation. Scented Gardens for the Blind is a nice title and an enjoyable album. I particularly liked La Gash Lagoon. Darkness is an automatic classic. 

Back to the playlist, I don't know how long it took me, but it was an idea I've been ruminating on for weeks. And yes, it would be nice to have more comments in general, and also more comments per view. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 12:19

Thank you for the comments and the kiwi recommendation. Scented Gardens for the Blind is a nice title and an enjoyable album. I particularly liked La Gash Lagoon. Darkness is an automatic classic. 

Back to the playlist, I don't know how long it took me, but it was an idea I've been ruminating on for weeks. And yes, it would be nice to have more comments in general, and also more comments per view. 

La Gash Lagoon is my favourite Dragon song, I think. 🤔
It’s kind of cool that you liked Darkness, given I was sharing the album because of the death of Ray. He didn’t often sing lead vocals, but Darkness was one of the few songs that he sang.

I find it strange that no one else seems to be commenting on this post, as it is definitely an interesting playlist. It makes me think about creating my own “return trip” playlist. 🤪

Post Reply Post Reply