Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perfect Strangers - TV Show - (1986 - 1993)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Did you watch this series?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [8.33%]
9 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perfect Strangers - TV Show - (1986 - 1993)
    Posted: April 25 2022 at 03:30
This was very popular in Turkey back in the day, but IMDb says that it is not that much; it hasn't received even 10K ratings there.

I'm curious whether it wasn't that much known when it was aired in the previous millennium in the US and/or globally; or that it just lost its popularity over time.

It was one of my favourite TV shows then, by the way.

indir-4
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 04:11
I voted for “I watched it, it was great”, because I loved it at the time. But I was just a wee sprog, and it’s been decades since I watched it. I’ve often found going back to things I liked as a child now, I really don’t appreciate them at all. Some I appreciate more for nostalgic reasons than because of how good they actually might be. And only a very few seem to have stood the rest of time, and are as enjoyable now as they were back then. I wonder, if I were to watch this show again, if I would still enjoy it?

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 09:47
Yes, I watched it. It wasn't that good.  It was ok.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 15:28
Watched it--  medium content, great cast.   It was a decent late '80s Odd Couple variation.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 15:54
I watched it quite often and quite enjoyed it. Its the kind of show that I would watch if it was on, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it or video record it. My wife had told me she liked it and I know my mother had liked it. I was and still am more into the British comedies (very big on Black Adder at the time). For a comedy show from the US that overlaps with the same time that Perfect Strangers was on, I much preferred The Larry Sanders Show. And from Canada, we had Kids in the Hall (sketch comedy).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 00:37
^ UK comedy always trumped US, back then. Even though I liked Perfect Strangers as a wee sprog, I would have picked any number of UK comedies over it, if I had the choice.

On both radio, and tv, New Zealand tended to play a mix of both UK and US media, so it was sometimes possible to see both the UK and US versions of a comedy. Again, with the caveat that I’ve not seen any of them since then, so am relying on childhood appreciation, whether the show was UK in origin and then copied by the US (which seemed to be the norm), or US in origin and then copied by the UK (far less common), it was always the UK version that seemed the funnier of the two, to me.

Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 03:53
^ I'm also in the same camp with you both. British comedy rules! For me, American comedy is on a par with Turkish comedy: great, but not the best.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 18:25
I don't remember much about this show except that it featured a rather annoying character named Balkie and an actor (the other lead in the series) who was in a movie called My Favorite Year with the late Peter O'Toole. This is a mostly forgotten show in my opinion.

Who remembers Wings and Mad About You? Both of those were better than this although they are both very forgotten also.  A little more recently you had Scrubs and My name is Earl. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 27 2022 at 18:26
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darksinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 21:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't remember much about this show except that it featured a rather annoying character named Balkie and an actor (the other lead in the series) who was in a movie called My Favorite Year with the late Peter O'Toole. This is a mostly forgotten show in my opinion.

Who remembers Wings and Mad About You? Both of those were better than this although they are both very forgotten also.  A little more recently you had Scrubs and My name is Earl. 

I like that movie! I found out that the Mark Linn Baker character, Benjamin Stone, was based on Mel Brooks. I also just read on imdb that Selma Diamond, who played Lil the seamstress (and Selma Hacker on Night Court) was a writer for Your Show of Shows, which was what the show Benjamin Stone worked for was based on. 

I was never much into Mad About You. Wings was okay if you chopped out Crystal Bernard and the two brothers (although one of the funniest moments was when everyone thought the Rebecca Schall's character was a murderer in hiding and Steven Weber knocked himself out thinking she was going to kill him and then everyone catches her standing over him with a frozen leg of lamb). Scrubs was funny but not my favorite show and I never saw My Name is Earl.

Edited by darksinger - May 05 2022 at 21:56
 Post Reply Post Reply