Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How important were album covers in your purchases?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How important were album covers in your purchases?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How important were album covers in your purchases?
    Posted: May 01 2022 at 06:28
Or better put: How important were album covers in your record store purchases?

I can name numerous times when an album's art work either lured me into purchasing an album by an otherwise-unknown-to-me artist or turned me off. Back when hanging out in record stores, flipping through album bins, was the highlight of my day/week.

On: Any and all Roger Dean covers
Genesis Live's amazing stage photo of spectre in the pink triangle mask!
Anthony Phillips' Peter Cross albums, starting with The Geese and The Ghost and Private Parts and Pieces
Cocteau Twins and all 1980s 4 AD releases.
David Sylvian

Off: All Gentle Giant, Magma, and Soft Machine releases from the 1970s. Their album covers just didn't draw me in! 

How 'bout you?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 06:51
Cover art was always an IN for me to check out unknown artists, but once I had the LP in my hands it was immediately flipped over to check out the instrumentation used (if listed). Many LP's back in the day (70's) had the band members listed along with what they played. If I saw one member with an array of keyboards, Organ, Piano, synths I was more likely to buy it than for just the art work itself.

Edited by JD - May 01 2022 at 08:52
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 07:59

The artwork has always been very important to me, as I've thought of albums as a kind of multimedia - not least LP's. 
Besides that, I've seen throughout the years that if I like the cover, the probability for I'll like the music is much larger.
It's a bit like I can perceive the music looking at the cover, and imo that's not least the purpose of good artwork.

Edited by David_D - May 04 2022 at 04:37
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 10:47
Well the album cover is often used as a signal about what to expect musically. If there are dragons, elfs and fairies, I usually sense it is not for me, whereas I often fall for a more concretist design.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 11:19
I bought my brother "Godbluff" for his seventeenth birthday (which was my seventh birthday as well) based on the album cover (actually based on the cool logo with the impossible 3D-letters); he didn't know VdGG back then.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 01 2022 at 11:20

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 13:08
Artwork is huge for me, I bought many many albums due to the artwork that I had not clue what the genre was. For the most part I could have an idea based on song titles and musicians and what they were playing.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 14:24
If I remember correctly, I haven't bought much based on the cover alone. In the early days of my music interest I read the Rock Lexikon and a book collecting all Sounds album reviews from 67-77 (both German language publications), so I had a good number of things I wanted to buy and check out when I found them on flea markets (not much money available at that age of course). Cover alone was too risky for me and it pretty much stayed like that. I always had too many ideas what to buy for my money (or later time). I may have occasionally preferred an album with cool cover from a band I already had on my list, or even knew already, so after having heard Going For The One as my first Yes album, I'd buy Yessongs, Tales, Relayer on occasion but avoid CTTE and the Yes Album.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 15:44
Me and a friend would go to our local record store and both make random purchases based (mostly) on album artwork. He was very good at finding something at least decent, I was less lucky. 

But with the proliferation of the internet and being able to find out about things this was a fairly limited activity. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 16:15
I don’t take artwork into as much consideration as I used to, but I’ll say this: it did play a huge role in me buying the two albums that would start my entire prog metal journey: The Sound of Perseverance by Death and From Mars to Sirius by Gojira. The latter was especially eye-catching to me, as I’d never seen a metal album with such spacey and sparse artwork, so my brother and I were convinced pretty quickly to buy it
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 17:46
I never buy an album for its artwork, but some albums' artwork enhances the music.
Grave New World by Strawbs and the Original Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part by Horslips being two stunning examples.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 19:06
You definitely can, though not always, judge a book by its cover.   I find this to be especially true for prog.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 19:15
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

You definitely can, though not always, judge a book by its cover.   I find this to be especially true for prog.

Same goes for metal as well. It took me ages to listen to Iron Maiden's Dance of Death, and that was entirely based on the album cover LOL Luckily, the album was actually quite good
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 20:13
In Central America, it was really hard to get prog music, so whenever my friends and I had a chance to get an album, inside the sleve there was a paper cover for the record (not all the time though). We could find many albums/bands that looked interesting, going by the printing in these covers. Sometimes, we would order albums just because the covers looked nice to us, or somebody would travel to the USA or have a friend/relative who lived there, and we would get the music using this method. Many bands, like Genesis, PFM, Grobschnitt, faust, and others, where known to us this way. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 20:55
Hi,

For the most part, I had a large majority of the HIPGNOSIS album covers, not just because they were far out, but also because they had a streak of a comment, that actually spoke about their music. And it was always a good treat, but I knew right away that something like the cover from the album UFO (I think it was) that had that 50's theme and what might have been a flying saucer, was actually a hubcap. So I thought that the music was not that big a deal and heard it, but passed on buying it.

In general, a very large majority of the Hipgnosis album covers.

But there were other magnificent covers. AD2's cover for Yeti, Dance of the Lemmings, Carnival in Babylon and Wolf City were way out of this world and very with it. 

There were many other covers, and many of them were the SF scene that had magnificent art on them, and a bit later, the Roger Dean stuff, of which I also had a sizeable number of albums. 

All in all, the majority of stuff was actually very progressive and different, and for me that was the great eye opener, and of course, enjoyment.

Edited by moshkito - May 01 2022 at 20:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 07:14
  in the classic album days, cover art was an extension of the vision by the musicians.  the creativity of the illustration represented the vision of the artists inside.  I have always picked up a release if I sensed the illustration was giving me clues as to what the artists within might wish to convey.  covers without the typical band photos was always a clue.  I felt this immediately with AMON DUUL II on YETI, DANCE OF THE LEMMINGS, CARNIVAL IN BABYLON, WOLF CITY, VIVE LE TRANCE & HIJACK. far too many examples, but it carried/carries on with CDs, less demonstrative though they are.  artists who wish to use the full spectrum of expression available to them always get my highest attention & respect.

Edited by Guy Guden - May 02 2022 at 07:15
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 07:41
  and if I might add regarding the incredible creativity of HIPGNOSIS covers, it should be noted, that besides the work of photographers Storm & Aubrey, an underestimated contribution was from the graphic designer George Hardie.  his dabbling in the Arcane (NTA) coupled with his technical skill, was often the glue that alchemized, framed & solidified the most important works.  and as much as I have the highest respect for this collective, as a stickler for original authorship... it should always be noted that their creative name was never made by them, but instead written on the wall by an anonymous traveller in time & space.   cheers! 
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 08:28

OK, I suppose that I'd have to plunge back into memory lane, because I haven't bought an album (or book) solely because of its cover/sleeve in nearly four decades. However, with a bunch of groups (especially prog), it is true that the best album sleeves are also their best recorded works.

Sooo in a way, there was a relationship between great albums and great sleeves  (but it wasn't a rule, for sure). Of course Dean & Hypgnosis were often directing my choices

But I had +/- two or three strong indications about what albums I should take when not knowing the usic.
Artworks were one of them
Line-up (instruments) 
Length of tracks 

The only real clear case for me to have bought an album because of its sleeve only would be Crime Of The Century. That sleeve spoke millions to me (even though nowadays, I find the window bars rather cheap-looking. 

I certainly went for You (Gong), Argus and Köhntarkösz because of their respective sleeve, though I knew about the band ahead of my decision. 

Oddly enough, one of the band with the better albums sleeves in their discography is QMS, but for some reason, the relation great sleeve/ great music only appeared to me in the 90's - though I knew and saw their album & music ever since 75 or so. 

Edited by Sean Trane - May 02 2022 at 08:49
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 10:16
I have always appreciated good cover art, which should indicate something about the music within. This is not always the case, and sometimes I like a cover but not the album. I have rarely bought an album based on the cover alone, but I have done it. Experience teaches you how to accurately assess the music from the cover alone. The most boring covers are the ones that just show a photo of the artist, no matter how tastefully done. Those say nothing.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 15:20
I appreciate good / distinctive album art, but can't say that's ever been a decision with purchases. It's always been about the music.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 17:44
C'mon --

Emerson, Lake & Palmer Tarkus (Island Records Gatefold album cover) |  Emerson lake & palmer, Progressive rock, Emerson

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>