Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Eno and The Lamb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brian Eno and The Lamb
    Posted: May 02 2022 at 08:47
According to Steve Hackett's biography, "Brian Eno provided some electronic enhancements on vocal and guitar parts" in The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Did anybody know about that? It's something totally new for me!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 10:06
I heard he just scrunched up some tape parts so they'd sound wonky, then they were added into the final mix... so much for Enossification..Wink

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - May 02 2022 at 10:06

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 10:11
Has about the same relevance as if Hendrix had lent Greg Lake some guitar strings and a pick in early 1970.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 10:54
Eno did the vocal treatments on "Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging" and "In The Cage."
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 10:55
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

According to Steve Hackett's biography, "Brian Eno provided some electronic enhancements on vocal and guitar parts" in The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Did anybody know about that? It's something totally new for me!
Brian was credited with "Enossification" on the album cover. Tony Banks has said that Eno did not do much , possibly some treatments on one track or something like that.

Edited by Easy Money - May 02 2022 at 10:56
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 12:06
I believe it's mentioned on the album cover.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 15:58
Thank you people for the input, very kind of you. I'll be listening to this classic with a new pair of "enossificated" ears. More Steve insight: "he helped to sharpen the edge for which The Lamb is still remembered to this day".
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 16:54
Quoted from Kevin Holm-Hudson's book ' Genesis and The Lamb Lies down on Broadway :
Ashgate publishing 2008
KHH mentioned a Phil Collins Interview for "Modern Drummer Magazine" back in 1983
"For instance, when Genesis was doing TLLDOB, Eno was upstairs and he met Peter (Gabriel). Peter wanted to feed his vocals through some of Eno's synths.So, he came down.As payment for that, I was sent upstairs to play on Eno'srecord , which was a track (Mother wale eyeless) on "Taking tiger mountain (by strategy)". We hit it off well, so when he did "Another green world", he rang me and Percy ( Jones, from Brand X) up and I did all the drums on that ( Alexander, 1983, p.10)
KHH added :
"Eno's vocal processing is most obviously heard on "The grand parade..."where the treatments are similar to those on Eno's "Fat lady of Limburg" but il also occurs at other key points : the 'porcupine' sections of Back in NYC.."

and "..the guitar in the final verse of "In the cage" also appears to be "Enossified" ( the guitars sound as if they were processed through a VCS3 synth, Eno applied similar modifications to Chris Spedding's guitar on John Cale's Gun on Cale's Fear album released the same year as The Lamb"

Edited by mellotronwave - May 02 2022 at 16:56
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 17:08
Mailo enumerates all the things I heard about Eno's "one day visit from upstairs" just as I heard about them in the 70s and 80s. And I'm so grateful for the trade: I love Percy and Phil's contributions to Another Green World--my introductory album into Brian's world.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 17:42
I love his treatment of "The Grand Parade". As elegant and Eno'ish as it can get.

On the other hand I am not sure if Phil Collins' drums on "Mother Whale Eyeless" really add anything substantial. It's not bad of course.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2022 at 13:32
I checked others Genesis band and members biographies about the Enossification.What is sure is that the treatment was limited to the processing o Peter's voice throuh Eno's ARP synth .
Crediting Eno's name (a Peter's idea) "irked Tony Banks to this day"

Sources :

Without frontiers, life and music of PG by Daryl Easlea 2014 Overlook Omnibus
The living years Mike Rutherford 2014 Constable London
The songs of Genesis Steve Aldous 2020 Mc Farland and Company
Genesis 1969 to 1975 the PG years 2020 Mario Giammetti Kingmaker
A Genesis in my bed Steve Hackett 2020 Wymer

Edited by mellotronwave - May 03 2022 at 13:40
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2022 at 13:54
^ Yes, glancing through this thread, it would seem that how much he did does seem to vary with which band member you are talking to.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 05:48
I didn’t know that fact, and I’m surprised to know.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 08:45
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ Yes, glancing through this thread, it would seem that how much he did does seem to vary with which band member you are talking to.

That's true. The impression I take from my readings is that Hackett is the most keen to recognize Eno's contribution, and Banks is the less. Sounds like the term "enossification" was the final compromise in a dispute over the credits.
Also variable is the answer to who came up with the idea for the invitation. It seems to be divided between Phil and Peter.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 13:42
it hasn’t changed the course of history, The lamb became a masterpiece of rock :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply