Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First tracks or LPs you'd play in a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First tracks or LPs you'd play in a new home
    Posted: May 02 2022 at 12:34
We've recently moved to our new house which we've been renovating for the last 18 months; normally my stereo would be the first thing to be installed for cool sounds to accompany the unpacking of boxes etc. This time its taken a bit longer than usual (2 weeks!) and ive finally been able to welcome myself home to the sounds of Pat Metheny (Travels, Still Life talking), Hatfield and the North (Rotter's club), Can (Future Days) and Ozric Tentacles (Jurrassic Shift, Pungent Effulgent).

What would be the first tracks or lps would you play upon moving into a new home and why?

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 12:43
English Sunset, Moody Blues.
Karn Evil 9 2nd part 1st Movement, ELP
Songs From the Wood, Jethro Tull
Your Move/All Good People, Yes
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 13:33
I did a massive reno about 11 years ago. I think one of, if not THE, first thing I listened to was ELP Trilogy, then a rockin' assorted CD.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 13:45
Probably a bit on the nose...but the first track to came to mind.  I've lived in the same house since I was 3 years old, so have never really experienced moving into a new home.

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 14:23
I don't know, but the first album I did buy and listen to when I moved to Queensland in 1992 was Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I imagine that if I were to move in the future, the first album I would listen to would depend on the circumstances at the time and not directly on the move itself.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 14:48
Congratulations, John. I hope you are happy in the new shack.

My first track would be non-prog. That old staple, Our House by CSN. If I were pressed to name a prog track, I would plump today for that lovely Garden of Senses by Jon & Vangelis. 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 14:54
I moved into my home in 2008 (still there) and I believe the first thing I listened to was my own stuff as I was hooking up my computer with my stereo to get everything working again. Other than that, I can't recall what I listened to and hadn't even considered unpacking music.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 15:16
Thanks all, some great suggestions!! Ive had to move about a lot with work over the years so its been a fairly regular occurrence! This is our final move and requires a special musical celebration!!SmileThumbs Up

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 15:18
Great question, and something fun I can relate to, and have done before. I too like the idea of setting up the stereo to have going while doing the move-on.

It's been awhile since I last moved, so I can't remember what I did before. 

Whatever you pick, it should be special!

Edited by Boojieboy - May 02 2022 at 15:18
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 15:26
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Thanks all, some great suggestions!! Ive had to move about a lot with work over the years so its been a fairly regular occurrence! This is our final move and requires a special musical celebration!!SmileThumbs Up
Well, you mentioned Pat Metheny. That's hard to top.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 16:34
The first few albums I actually played when we moved into the house we live in was something likebasically: Lee Hazlewood - Trouble is a Lonesome Town, Jethro Tull - Benefit, Joni Mitchell - Ladies of the Canyon and America - St. Love them all, but it was mainly because there were people working here all the time and I pretended to be "normal".

If I felt I could play anything, I'd choose something in the line of: Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch, Weather Report - St, Terje Rypdal - Whenever I Seem to be Far Away, Herbie Hancock - Crossings and Miles Davis - Water Babies. I enjoy the sound of them filing up a room or space. Can - Future Days is one I'd consider myself.  
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 17:09
If I were to move into a new home and wanted a ceremonial track to kick things off, something by Can would be my first choice - either from Tago Mago or from Future Days.

I remember 20+ years ago when I moved into my first (non-rental) home, the first thing I played (on a CD boombox) was the “Aftertaste” album by Helmet. Loved that album, and still do.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 02 2022 at 17:12
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 19:06
To check the acoustics and sound system placement the one and only DSOTM.

Long live Progresive music!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2022 at 05:44
It would be albums for me:
Stand Up.
The Lamb.
Voyage of the Acolyte.
Rajaz.
Red.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2022 at 06:36
Hi,

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra. 

"Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares" inaugurated my new speakers.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2022 at 13:12
^ Been spinning Poland, Underwater Sunlight and Tyger tonight; definitely in a 'Blue' years mood!Hug 
 Hey Manuel! i played Voyage of the Acolyte last night (some of it twice, on the headphones, as i wanted to listen to it louder!)

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 03:37
I hope I'll enter my new home by next week. I think Fanfare For The Common Man would be appropriate
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 14:35
^ Great and very appropriate selectionClap Hope your move goes wellThumbs Up

Talking of appropriate selections, home about Rod Argents 'Moving Home'Wink

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 14:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra. 

"Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares" inaugurated my new speakers.
Heart
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 14:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>