Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First tracks or LPs you'd play in a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 14:58
I was thinking about this topic yesterday, and this is what I would have written then and now. Not Prog, but when I moved into this house, the first thing I remember playing not on earbuds or headphones (on external speakers) was Giorgio Moroder's Cat People soundtrack. There is something comforting in my 80s nostalgia and I love things on the electronica side.

If I moved into a new house now, then I would want to play Kosmischer Läufer's The Secret Cosmic Music of the East German Olympic Program 1972-83: Volume Three, which I find magical/ wondrous in its way.   This is modern electronic music pretending to be of the past and also has nostalgia value for me. I really like the project.

Edited by Logan - May 04 2022 at 15:13
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 06:46
Dvorak's 9th Symphony ;-)
Welcome to the middle of the film.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 12:14
The first for everything is always Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.  The one time I didn't and played Tangerine Dream's Le Parc in the new car stereo, it shortly afterward got stolen.  Lesson learned!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 14:27
Homeworld (The Ladder) by Yes. What else? ;)

Another possibility might be "our house" by Crosby Stills Nash and Young. The Madness song with the same title is great too. However, I can't afford to buy a house so they might not be appropriate. The same thing with "you can never go home" by the Moody Blues if I've just moved into a new home. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 09 2022 at 14:33
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 14:00
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Homeworld (The Ladder) by Yes. What else? ;)

Another possibility might be "our house" by Crosby Stills Nash and Young. The Madness song with the same title is great too. However, I can't afford to buy a house so they might not be appropriate. The same thing with "you can never go home" by the Moody Blues if I've just moved into a new home. Wink

I like The Ladder, i think its a sunny upbeat lp so its a good suggestion.. and 'homeworld' is very appropriate!

Lazland mentioned the CSNY song which is great and Deja Vu has already had a spin.

'Home' by Roy Harper (the studio version of which features Ian Anderson on flute) is a great homecoming song

and of course 'where i lay my hat, thats my home' by Marvin Gaye (then Paul Young) just about sums up everywhere ive lived up to now..

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 22:49
Done yesterday...Atom Heart Mother
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 13:36
^ Congratulations on your move! Happy new Home!!Clap

finnley View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 07:49
I'm moving my parent's house in a month. So it will definitely will be Pharrell Williams - Happy! Also, another reason for joy is the fact that I hired a moving company. I already helped my friends to move and I know how difficult the moving can be. I hope that with the help of expomovers guys the process will be easy for me this time.

Edited by finnley - August 22 2022 at 23:49
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 09:51
I'm going to be moving to Cornwall hopefully by the end of the year with Sister, Brother in law and Mum. It's a large property with very separate sections and fortunately I can play anything as loud as I like as the walls are very thick. Once I get my CD collection and hi-fi in place it will inevitably be ELP's Brain Salad Surgery followed by some Yes and Rush. ELP's stonking version of Jerusalem seems as good a point to start as any.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 11:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 13:49
Originally posted by finnley finnley wrote:

I'm moving my parent's house in a month. So it will definitely will be Pharrell Williams - Happy! 

Good luck with your move and i hope it makes you truely 'happy'Big smile! And welcome to the PA siteSmile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 13:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm going to be moving to Cornwall hopefully by the end of the year with Sister, Brother in law and Mum. It's a large property with very separate sections and fortunately I can play anything as loud as I like as the walls are very thick. Once I get my CD collection and hi-fi in place it will inevitably be ELP's Brain Salad Surgery followed by some Yes and Rush. ELP's stonking version of Jerusalem seems as good a point to start as any.

Cornwall's great, but Devon is better!LOL No, i'm very fond of Cornwall and have had job offers there over many years but just couldnt afford to get on the property ladder there.. still spend a fair bit of time down that way with work. Good luck with your move, and great music choices for warming up your new home!ClapThumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 13:57
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

My wife is a big Bowie fan, particularly those 'Berlin' period lps so this album has been well and truely blasted around these wallsBig smile

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 18:10
Getting finished with a major reno here. When I get the beast all hooked up it will probably be the 5.1 mix of The Yes Album.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 18:56
Magma's "Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie" live album. if this doesn't feel right in the new home then we moved into the wrong place

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 19:30
Well, the first thing I'd have to do is to break in the neighbors. So, side one of Black Sabbath's Sabotage. Very, very, very loud. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2022 at 00:58
I know I've already written some suggestions, but now I'm thinking I'd spin the flipside of Fourth by Soft Machine (Virtually I-V)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2022 at 14:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Well, the first thing I'd have to do is to break in the neighbors. So, side one of Black Sabbath's Sabotage. Very, very, very loud. 

Excellent! along with Volume 4 and Sabbath bloody sabbath, i think that would leave them in no doubt of my intentions!LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2022 at 14:57
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I know I've already written some suggestions, but now I'm thinking I'd spin the flipside of Fourth by Soft Machine (Virtually I-V)

Yep, this too would be good.. boy, my neighbours are sure getting a musical education!LOL Luckily they like a lot of the same music and have already had good snuffle through my record collection.. 

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 10:52
When we moved into a newly built home, I was for whatever reason on a Grobschnitt bender with Merry-Go-Round being played around the clock.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>