Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Cashing In?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd Cashing In?
    Posted: May 08 2022 at 12:41
I am sure it will happen, if Waters and Gilmour can agree to a price tag. I think it is a good idea, as these rockers get to an age where the catalog is beyond them, it could go to someone/company who could make it even bigger than it is now.
Just having the rights to DSOtM is a cash cow........

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 12:46
Let's see what’s ahead. In these times, when music does not sell as it used to, due to spotify, pandora, etc, and the fact that radio is not as prominent as it used to be, it's quite uncertain to guess how much money you can make with old music, which is not as prominent these days, and not very many young people seem to be interested in.

Edited by Manuel - May 09 2022 at 04:30
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 12:49
Coming to a TV set near you, a Wells Fargo Bank commercial featuring "Money".
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 12:51
This is such a commonality for so many artists we grew up with that the story itself is no longer a shock. Dylan, as ever, led the way in terms of old sixties hippies selling their soul to the corporate machine. For Waters to be a party to it would be an act of such hypocrisy as to be utter,y unforgivable. 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 13:00
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

This is such a commonality for so many artists we grew up with that the story itself is no longer a shock. Dylan, as ever, led the way in terms of old sixties hippies selling their soul to the corporate machine. For Waters to be a party to it would be an act of such hypocrisy as to be utter,y unforgivable. 

The Dylan catalog was a big buy but I think the PF catalog will be double that easily.....IIRC, Michael Jackson paid $50million for the Beatles, actually didn't he outbid Sir Paul for it in mid 80's? LOL!! But then again, IIRC Sony bought out MJ for quite a nice price tag.
Waters will wiggle his grimmy hands into it somehow, or hangit up in legal battle for years so Gilmour, Mason, Wright family get no money.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 04:11
You know what I'm happy to see any great band such as Floyd get some retribution financially ..good work deserves good fortune. Tongue
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 05:55
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

For Waters to be a party to it would be an act of such hypocrisy as to be utter,y unforgivable. 

I'm not sure Roger will have much a say in this matter, since it belongs to Gilmour and Mason. 
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 06:08
Sad times, indeed.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 06:32
I hope not. They have enough money and probably care about their music.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 09:26
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I hope not. They have enough money and probably care about their music.

Yes but more money is mo' betta!! Clap LOL It's like winning the Powerball Lottery for them, and their families....Why not cash in on all their hard work.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 17:05
Haven't they been cashing-in since '87 ?

I'd say more like cashing out .

Edited by Atavachron - June 01 2022 at 21:40
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 01:44
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Haven't they been cashing-in since '87 ?

I'd say more like cashing out .

ClapThumbs Up

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 06:30
Hi,

It's the commercial way in America and Europe. What else is new?

The rich get richer, the poor get children and the middle class pays for it, because they love their monarchy and the money they waste!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 09:03
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

It's the commercial way in America and Europe. What else is new?

The rich get richer, the poor get children and the middle class pays for it, because they love their monarchy and the money they waste!
WackoConfusedPinch, you CensoredPig

Pedro, you've sunken to a new low

I'm a republican, so we can decapitate all K&Q (Lizzie/Zibbie the first)StarClap, but I don't see how that relates to the poor getting poorer and me paying for their progeniture.

Despite popular (wrong) belief/wisdom, a constitutional monarchy doesn't cost more than a republic. 

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 14:52
Eh. They made it and they decide what to do with it. They are in an age where they could all be gone in a few years. I don’t know what they’d do with the money, but the rights will have to pass to someone eventually. Heck, maybe they can spend that money on something better than someone inheriting the rights would. Or blow it all on cars and helicopters. It’s their legacy and their lives. Noone care once in the grave.

The music is still there.

I don’t care a whole lot and I’m not surprised artists sell their stuff while still alive.
 Post Reply Post Reply