Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The way Supertramp ends their albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The way Supertramp ends their albums?
    Posted: May 09 2022 at 18:04
It seems like they always want to end their albums with a very long instrumental passage with minimal vocals. 

Debut - Surely reprise has one. 
Indelibly Stamped - Aries having a long keyboard/flute jam after the vocals. Roger does sing a bit more at the end.
Crime of the Century- title track had one. 
Even in the Quietest Moments - Fool's Overture has a minute of instrumental towards the end. 
Breakfast in America - Child of Vision has a long piano solo. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 18:50
Sure, why not? A great way to end an album which creates a sense of closure and completeness.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 21:47
Interesting fact. Many bands have their trends I believe. After all, most every band/artist have their song they se to close concerts and their set for their come back. Why not then have a way to close their albums?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 12:28
Not too long ago I picked up Breakfast in America(the only one I have by them at the moment not counting a vinyl copy of COTC stashed away somewhere) and it's one of the things I noticed. It makes them seem more proggy. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 10 2022 at 12:44
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 18:38
Except Crisis? What Crisis? where they put the most epic song (The Meaning) second to the last and kind of a snoozer at the end. The 2 of us is a good song, but it's not very exciting. The other albums end in a way that makes you want to start them over again.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2022 at 01:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not too long ago I picked up Breakfast in America(the only one I have by them at the moment not counting a vinyl copy of COTC stashed away somewhere) and it's one of the things I noticed. It makes them seem more proggy. 

I agree. 

That's why I loved Supertramp from the beginning compared to other bands more popular.  The only other one during that time were 10cc comparable. 
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2022 at 04:53
The first thought was, "Two Of Us", which I like, but it's not an album closer like "Child of Vision"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply