Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most Epic, Bombastic, Triumphant Prog Bands/Albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Epic, Bombastic, Triumphant Prog Bands/Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ankhora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Epic, Bombastic, Triumphant Prog Bands/Albums
    Posted: May 17 2022 at 15:05
e.g.

Triumvirat - Spartacus

Rick Wakeman - The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 16:00
A few that I believe meet the criteria.

The Aristocrats - Culture Clash
Pat Metheny Group - The Road to You
Allan Holdsworth - I.O.U.
Steely Dan - Aja, The Royal Scam
Mike Keneally & Beer for Dolphins - Sluggo!
Kansas - Leftoverture
National Health - Complete
Rush - 2112, A Farwell to Kings, Moving Pictures...
Bruford - One of a Kind
Big Big Train - English Electric Part One
Mirthkon - Snack(s)
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo, One Size Fits All
Echolyn - The End is Beautiful
Sanguine Hum - A Trace of Memory
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Haken - Visions
Marco Minnemann - My Sister
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Dixie Dregs - Unsung Heroes
Izz - Don't Panic

I could go on. But for now, that's good. Wink

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 16:02
Originally posted by ankhora ankhora wrote:

e.g.

Triumvirat - Spartacus

Rick Wakeman - The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table

Spartacus sure qualifies!Clap Also, Le Orme In Concerto (instrumentally speaking)
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 17:55
ELPs first four albums define epic, bombast, and triumphant.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 21:01
When I think of epic, I don’t think of Bill & Ted going “epic, dude!” I think of an epic. In ancient literature, there is the Epic of Gilgamesh.   LOTR nerds would cite The Silmarillion. The Four Ancient Books of Wales …
etc. etc.

In that sense, I don’t know of too many real epics in Prog Rock music. I’m sure there are many that exist of which I am unaware.

But, two bonafide epics I know about … which come crashing through with triumph … are Cygnus X-1 … Book 2 from Hemispheres by Rush, and the first half of Feel the Fire by Barnabas, including Prelude, The Dream, and Breathless Wonderment. I must have listened to both at least a thousand times. The first was released in 1978 and the second in 1984, a timeframe which spans the pinnacle of refreshing fearlessly creative music. I say that because these folks were unafraid of taking real risks.

Unfortunately, CDs tend to chop up these masterpieces, while tapes and lps allow one to experience the entire epic in one sitting without abrupt stops that ruin the listening.

yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 01:04
To me, it's definitely Frank Zappa's Grand Wazoo. Its big, its huge, its a celebration of sounds, and its a very fun listen.
Dervish D View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dervish D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 05:49
Definitely Spartacus.
Then there is ELP’s ‘Pictures at an Exhibition’p.
A little different: Phillip Glass’s ‘Koyaanisqatsi’.
Perhaps Vangelis’ ‘Heaven and Hell’?
ankhora View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ankhora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 06:07
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 08:48

that would be most CensoredTepid, RidiculousPinch, Pedantic/PretentiousPig, Laughable prog album

Another choice is anything written & composed by Lucassen
NukeEvil Smile

Hug Ying Yang

Edited by Sean Trane - May 18 2022 at 08:50
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
ankhora View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankhora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 10:16
@Sean Trane... Arjen Anthony Lucassen?
ankhora View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankhora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 13:10
People seem so divided with Rick Wakeman solo.... unless it was when he was doing stuff with Yes.

Reminds me of the love/hate for Yngwie Malmsteem...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 13:16

Reminds me of the love/hate for Yngwie Malmsteem...

Depends, most people respect Yngwie for his 80s and 90s work, but he's got a big ego, gave up on collaborating with any vocalists and he started singing and he's just not good. His music is also predictable, he's doing the same thing over and over, and not in a fun way like Motorhead and AC/DC did. At least those guys didn't take themselves so seriously... 
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 13:54
Ayreon - THE, ITEC and TTOE😎😎😎
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 14:06
Pink Floyd The Wall jumps to mind. It begins and ends as bombastically and dramatically as possible. Arguably in a parodic way.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 14:57

People seem so divided with Rick Wakeman solo.... unless it was when he was doing stuff with Yes.

After years of reading putdowns directed at Rick on various message boards, I concluded the derision is due to the likelihood that most listeners are unfamiliar with the majority of his solo discography (it's huge, and Rick has released some questionable fare, but when he's on, he's on). His most recent (all-instrumental) outing, The Red Planet, is excellent.
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 15:13
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I can never understand why “bombastic” is used as a positive adjective by many prog fans. My view of the word has always been that it’s a negative and this is confirmed by the the Oxford English Dictionary which describes it as “high-sounding language with little meaning, used to impress people.” Hardly a recommendation to me……..
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 16:33
Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I can never understand why “bombastic” is used as a positive adjective by many prog fans. My view of the word has always been that it’s a negative and this is confirmed by the the Oxford English Dictionary which describes it as “high-sounding language with little meaning, used to impress people.” Hardly a recommendation to me……..

To the mainstream, I think the word bombastic is correctly used to describe much about prog. And, it does have a negative connotation. But, prog rock folks are a funny lot. They like what the mainstream considers bombastic. To them, what the mainstream considers bombastic is interesting. The prog people are often nerds, and by nerds I mean that in a positive way. But, sometimes the mainstream misconstrues them as being dorks. What mainstream person is going to care about the story behind Cygnus X-1 by Rush (with the signature Rush chord ... F# major pattern with the high strings left open). No, they are going to think it is bombastic drivel written for dorks. But, it is actually quite interesting, entertaining, and based on mythology. It is really written more for esoteric nerds (again, positive connotation). So, I think the "bombastic" part is a matter of perspective.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 16:45
HolyMoly was clear it was an observation not necessarily an endorsement, and then affirms that with the use of 'parodic' .   Besides, the Wall is quite often bombastic and not always in a sophisticated or fun way.   Let's face it: it is one of the all-time classic Angry Young Person albums .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 18:22
Bombastic prog is synonymous, for me, with Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 01:22
Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

You seem to be under the impression that people don’t know the definition. It is entirely possible to recognise that bombast can be pleasurable to hear. Most people can recognise bombast in prog, and this bombast is either seen as a good or a bad thing. Synonyms for bombastic include overwrought, convoluted, pompous, pretentious, ranting and blathering. These seem pretty good adjectives to describe a lot of prog, particularly some of the albums that have been mentioned so far on this thread.

Is “The Wall”, as someone has already said, bombastic? Well, it’s certainly overwrought, convoluted, pompous, pretentious, ranting and blathering - and I love it. Thus, I can recognise that the bombast (which usually would have a negative connotation) is part of what makes “The Wall” such an enjoyable listen.

Do I know bombastic has negative connotations? Yes. Have I used it before in reviews as a positive attribute? Also, yes.

While I suspect there may well be some out there who don’t know the dictionary meaning of the word bombastic, having perhaps seen it only in prog reviews, I am sure the vast majority of people who use the word DO know what the definition is. It is rather patronising and condescending to assume that those who use it do not know what it means.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>