Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Alan White

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 14:41
RIP Alan White and Hollywood actor Ray Liotta who also died today.

Cry
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 14:57
He did look quite bad the last video they released. But this is still very sad. 

RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 15:02
Cry RIP Alan White. This is turning into a painful year for prog. I'm so glad I got to see Yes "in the round."

Edited by verslibre - May 26 2022 at 19:50
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 15:17
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

This incredibly sad news deserves a thread of its own and in the lounge.

The legendary Alan White has passed away. https://www.facebook.com/imaginealanwhite 

An incredible drummer, an extremely nice man, our love and best wishes must go to the family, and thanks for some incredible musical memories.

Thanks, Steve, that is a lovely eulogy! 

My wife Virginia and I met Alan backstage after the Yes 35th Anniversary show in Chicago.  I remember him being VERY sweet to Ginny, and a very nice & generous chap, free with his time and delighted to sign our programs and pose for photos.  A true Prog legend.  Listening to "Soundchaser" now, his drumming was sublime. 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 15:53
RIP Alan. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:01
Alan's drum solo at the beginning of Sound Chaser consistently blew me away. My second favourite Yes drummer (after Bill) and will be sorely missed. RIP Alan White - you gave so much to music and enriched many people.
Songs cast a light on you
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:02
He said recently Relayer was his fav Yes album----he is amazing on it. Prog ---Jazz---pop prog 90125---he could do all of it.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:38
The all powerfull forces of time have taken another great artist, human being and overall nice guy. He'll be missed for sure, and his legacy will live forever. My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:42
Deserves all the props in the world. Had big shoes to fill following Bruford but he nailed it and brought his own style. Remained a key to the Yes brand throughout the decades, and a friend of mine who knows him confirms he was a sweet and funny guy. Rest in peace - we’ll miss you Alan.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:43
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Cry RIP Alan White. This is turning into a painful year for prog. I'm so glad I go to see Yes "in the round."
lucky you indeed!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:49
Alan White, Andy Fletcher, and Ray Liotta all in the same day? Goddamn Cry
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 17:03
just when you think St. Peter's house band certainly has no shortage of great drummers they ask for another one Cry. R.I.P.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 17:09
Makes me think of the 90125 days when Yes seemed to be selling out.   It was only a bit later we realized what a great thing the Cinema project was, and Alan was a big part of that, sometimes seeming to be the only level-headed one on stage between a podgy Squire lumbering around in a fur coat, diminutive and Smurf-like Jon drenched in blue light, Tony Kaye largely covert, and Rabin doing his best Eddie VH impression.  

Easily one of the best session drummers in the business and among a handful of level-headed and unassuming rock musicians.   He'll be greatly missed.

Edited by Atavachron - May 26 2022 at 17:10
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
King K. Rimson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King K. Rimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 17:12
RIP Alan White. What a shame. Just the other day I read that he had to step out of the next tour for health reasons. I didn't expect something like this to happen so suddenly. 
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 17:44
Yrgal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yrgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 19:31
RIP Alan White. So sad...Cry
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 19:50
Spinning Tales tonight, his first (studio) album with the band. A top 5 Yes record for me.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 21:41
Saw Alan several times with Yes...Going for the One, Drama, 9012Live, Union, etc. Great drummer, adieu.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
WJA-K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJA-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 00:21
Sad news indeed. R.I.P. Alan White.

Relayer on repeat for me today.

Edited by WJA-K - May 27 2022 at 00:22
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 02:06
Great drummer , was only listening to Catherine Parr yesterday and enjoying his hard hitting style although with real chops to back it up. Silent Wings of Freedom is another favourite. RIP Alan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>