Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Alan White

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 02:38
Another household name in prog has left us. RIP Alan Wite.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 04:01
Three days to learn Yes material before the tour started?  Crikey!  Fantastic drummer.  
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 04:21
Listening to the first disc of the PROGENY box set while I type this and Alan's drumming is amazing. Can't believe he only had such a short time to learn such complicated material before the tour! What an incredible talent!

R.I.P. to another prog legend. Broken Heart
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 06:55
RIP

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 07:06
Another sad passing.  He had some big shoes to fill when he joined Yes.  He did and admirable job.  R.I.P.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 09:01
Alan had swing and funk---and half of one of the best rhythm sections in prog

Edited by twosteves - May 27 2022 at 10:36
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 10:21
Another legend...I'm really growing old, I think it's in the nature of the things.
I've seen him live with yes at least three times. Also together with Bruford in the Onion tour.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2022 at 20:25
So sad to learn this morning that Alan White has passed away. My condolences to his family.  I was lucky enough to see him perform live 26 times over the years. He will be missed for sure, but he's jammin' with Chris Squire now. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 06:18
Very sad, stunning news. A solid force behind the drums. Was listening to his snappy performance on Magnification's Can You Imagine just last night.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 05:40
He took over from one of the best drummers in prog and I actually think his more rocky style suited Yes better in the path they chose.
He will be very sadly missed. RIP.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
felonafan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felonafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2022 at 16:38
R. I. P., Alan!
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 08:50
Another great drummer of the classic prog era left us. He is responsible for some of the best pages of Yes.

RIP hard.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 12:16
Just an amazing drummer. I first saw him live on the Relayer tour, and have always loved his performances. He was really struggling when Yes did the Drama-Topo tour, but he was always a Starship Trooper. Always a smile on his face-he just loved being with his bandmates. I’m as teary eyed as when we lost Chris in ‘15.
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 12:23
Your work on Yessongs was fantastic!!! One of the most important drummers in the prog

RIP
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2022 at 21:45
RIP!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123