Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lör for Progressive Metal (Approved)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lör for Progressive Metal (Approved)
    Posted: June 08 2022 at 16:29
Lör is a progressive/folk power metal band from Yardley, Pennsylvania, USA. Formed in 2009, their self-proclaimed goal is to "create epic music." Rooted in power metal, Lör combines Scandanavian and American folk music music with progressive elements to create this "epic" sound they are going for. They have released two albums, thus far: In Forgotten Sleep in 2017, and Edge of Eternity in 2020, the latter of which won Angry Metal Guy's 2020 album of the year.

They have been compared, extensively, to Wilderun and Wuthering Heights, both of which have made it here.

In Forgotten Sleep, Bandcamp
Edge of Eternity, Bandcamp

Facebook
Homepage

Interview with the Progressive Subway

Edited by bardberic - July 15 2022 at 17:47
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 00:47
Bling Guardian is perhaps not the best reference to use when invoking the “if x is here, so should y be” argument, as there have been a lot of people on the forum who have voiced their opinion on BG, and how not suitable for PA they are! 😜

(While not at all similar in sound, Nightwish receive the same antipathy for their inclusion in PA. I am sure there are others, too, but these two seem to have taken so much of the flak over the years, that they stand out in my mind.)

I had missed this submission, until you mentioned it on your IGNEA post. I’ll try and get it added after I’ve finished getting the children ready for school.

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 01:45
Noted, thank you. Added to the Progfreak chart Smile

Edited by Necrotica - June 10 2022 at 01:45
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 08:54
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Bling Guardian is perhaps not the best reference to use when invoking the “if x is here, so should y be” argument, as there have been a lot of people on the forum who have voiced their opinion on BG, and how not suitable for PA they are! 😜

(While not at all similar in sound, Nightwish receive the same antipathy for their inclusion in PA. I am sure there are others, too, but these two seem to have taken so much of the flak over the years, that they stand out in my mind.)

I had missed this submission, until you mentioned it on your IGNEA post. I’ll try and get it added after I’ve finished getting the children ready for school.

To be fair, I actually wuite dislike Blind Guardian, and I wouldn't say I listen to them frequently. I would agree that maybe they don't deserve a place here, and definitely think Nightwish has no place here. I only brought up Blind Guardian because of how much they allegedly influenced Lör, and riff-wise and vocally, it's clear.

I would lick, moreso, Subterranean Masquerade as a second example of a similar band due to Lör highly diverse and eclectic mix of progressive metal and folk, yet seamless and cohesive songwriting abilities. They're also similar to Wilderun due to the way the prog is implemented, and heavily elements if both American and northern European folk (whereas SubMasq is middle eastern folk). I would even say they are similar to Symphony X, because of the power metal foundation -- think a folkier/more epic, but less grandiose/symphonic, version of Symphony X.

I would expect, and hope, that they get a fair assessment, despite the subjective disagreement in the recommendation.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 08:54
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

To be fair, I actually quite dislike Blind Guardian, and I wouldn't say I listen to them frequently. I would agree that maybe they don't deserve a place here, and definitely think Nightwish has no place here. I only brought up Blind Guardian because of how much they allegedly influenced Lör, and riff-wise and vocally, it's clear.

I would compare Lör, moreso, to Subterranean Masquerade as a second example (after Willderun) of a similar band due to Lör highly diverse and eclectic mix of progressive metal and folk, yet seamless and cohesive songwriting abilities. They're also similar to Wilderun due to the way the prog is implemented, and their heavily elements of both American and northern European folk (whereas SubMasq is middle eastern folk). I would even say they are similar to Symphony X, because of the power metal foundation -- think a folkier/more epic, but less grandiose/symphonic, version of Symphony X. Blind Gurdian more for the midrange vocalist and upbeat riffage. Before you call me out on the fact that Lör and SubMasq sound nothing alike, this comparison is more do about how they implement prog and folk, and the way the music flows, basically jumping from one idea to the other. In terms of sound and the band's skills, they feel like Blind Guardian, as per their own assertion, hence the comparison above.

I would expect, and hope, that they get a fair assessment, despite the subjective disagreement in the comparison.

There are an overwhelming number of ideas this band has and they implement them so rapidly, yet cohesively. I find something new upon every listen. Just listen to the song Dusk in its entirety from IFS and you'll see what I mean. There is so much going on. There is nothing not progressive about this band and there should be no reason for their exclusion, as prog fans. Some people call them disjointed, but I call them EPIC! The only thing really holding Lör back from being a perfect example of folk prog metal is their indie production. It's CRIMINAL how they haven't gotten a professional producer to mix their albums yet...

Edit: I edited the initial post to compare them to Wilderun and Wuthering Heights, as these are the two most commonly recommended artists to Lör, I've found.

Edited by bardberic - June 10 2022 at 09:27
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 13:02
Honestly, don’t worry. I wasn’t suggesting we would not give this band a chance just because you mentioned a similarity to BG. I can’t speak for the others on the team, but I tend to pay no attention whatsoever to what bands they have been compared to by others, and just go by what I hear. When it comes down to it, it really doesn’t matter whether a band’s influences are prog or not. There are plenty of instances of prog artists having influences that are not in the slightest prog. It’s what an artist does with these influences, rather than if the influences themselves are prog. So you can be assured that the band will get a fair evaluation.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2022 at 12:56
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

To be fair, I actually wuite dislike Blind Guardian, and I wouldn't say I listen to them frequently. I would agree that maybe they don't deserve a place here, and definitely think Nightwish has no place here. I only brought up Blind Guardian because of how much they allegedly influenced Lör, and riff-wise and vocally, it's clear.
You’re absolutely right, it is clear. But, as you say, that is an influence more than anything else, and (as per my above post) what they have done with that influence is prog enough to my ears for me to give them a yes vote.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2022 at 04:03
added
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2022 at 22:45
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

added

Hello,

Could you look at my submission for "Those Who Ride With Giants?" I haven't gotten any replies yet.

How long does it usually take for the artist to be looked at and either accepted or rejected?

I have a few others I'm going to submit, later, after these ones are reviewed.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 00:05
Those Who Ride With Giants was suggested for the post/math team, was it not?
I don’t believe any of the prog metal team are also on the post/math team, so could not answer any of your questions. Each team works slightly differently.

[EDIT] I have posted a link to your suggestion for the post/math team. I cannot say when they will pick it up, as I believe at least a couple of members are presently busy with things in real life, and unable to spend as much time on PA as they might normally. My only advice is to be patient.

Edited by nick_h_nz - June 15 2022 at 00:10
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 04:13

added

Hello,

Could you look at my submission for "Those Who Ride With Giants?" I haven't gotten any replies yet.

How long does it usually take for the artist to be looked at and either accepted or rejected?

you suggested that band 4 days ago. Like you've already been advised by Nick, be patient
Also I'm not in the post team, so I have no say in that. 

How long does it take a band evaluation? It's all relative - days? weeks? months? LOL

Edited by Cristi - June 15 2022 at 04:14
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 09:28

added

Hello,

you suggested that band 4 days ago. Like you've already been advised by Nick, be patient
Also I'm not in the post team, so I have no say in that. 

How long does it take a band evaluation? It's all relative - days? weeks? months? LOL

Thank you. I'm not impatient, I just don't know if people saw the message. I didn't realize there are differnt teams here. Now I know. I thought it was a polite inquiry. But okay. Nevertheless, I didn't realize that both Lor and Ignea have been added to the archives already. Thank you for adding them, I'm glad they were approved. When I search for "Lor" or "Lör," however, it does not yield any results. Ignea does.

Edited by bardberic - June 17 2022 at 09:30
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 13:01
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 10:47

I'm not doubting them being on the archives. What I'm stating is that when I search for them here, they don't show up:
My search for "lor"
My search for "Lör"
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 12:04
I have never searched for a band that way before. I just go to the letter, and scroll down. That is how I searched for and found the band.

Post Reply Post Reply