Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please post great female-fronted prog videos!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please post great female-fronted prog videos!
    Posted: June 10 2022 at 01:04
Hi! Big smile Please post the best female-fronted progressive rock YouTube videos! I'm guessing that it'll be mainly pro-shot live videos that will get posted in this thread, but maybe I'm wrong! Tongue Great music-videos are also welcome! I'm hoping for progressive hard-rock. I seem to get bored when it's too soft. Tongue I'm hoping you guys are up on the newer bands and don't just focus on 70's and 80's bands in this thread. Tongue

I'm embarrassed to say the following, but I've turned into a video kind of guy. I don't listen to albums as much as I used to. I instead watch tons of YouTube live videos and music videos. I have so many live videos and music videos in my YouTube playlists! Smile

District 97 is currently my #1 favorite female-fronted progressive hard-rock band! Big smile

Edited by cold103 - June 10 2022 at 01:51
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorchedFirth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 04:10
This is GREAT timing haha, I made a playlist of my favourite prog fronted by women for a party/rave i'm throwing today actually! A good proportion of these have videos, but all of them are really great prog anyhow:

breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorchedFirth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 04:16
these are some of them that have an actual video

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorchedFirth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 04:19
Also MoeTar is my favourite, really really LOVE it!

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 06:38
There are a ton of female fronted jazz and fusion bands. Here is Hiromi.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 07:47
So many I am into. I'll stick with the modern and if not hard rock, music with a harder edge. I have been very into Anna von Hausswolff of late. The first track is a music video (of the kind that might play on MTV) and the second is a live performance.

"The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra"

"Evocation"

And Bent Knee has a fantastic singer. Here is "Bone Rage"

And Catch Light

Just a fanboy passin' through.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 08:29

Edited by bardberic - June 10 2022 at 08:30
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2022 at 07:30
Hi,

You know what "Evocation" reminds me of? Peter Hammill in "In Camera" when he had at least one side of what many of us thought was an assault of some kind, but I think that at the time, it helped him provide more ideas for some of the music, if not take away his really tough and hard edge that many folks liked, but also alienated a lot of listeners. 

Anna's material is worth getting and a very well done and intelligent stuff done. What is more scary is that at one time she quit music (to go back to school!), because she was tired and exhausted from not getting any attention or enough appreciation, and then come back later, even stronger. 

Amazing stuff.

I like Bent Knee a lot ... however, not seeing much of a discussion on it, makes me think that many folks have a problem making up their minds about this stuff ... and that what appears to be haphazard emotional material exploding all over the place, is just something that we have a hard time relating to. It reminds me, as well as Anna, of the early days of VdGG and PH, when folks could not believe, or understand, that REAL MUSIC WAS NOT JUST A SONG made for radio ... that there was some other outstanding material out there that we hardly ever listen to. 

This is just excellent stuff, and deserves more discussion.

Hiromi, is on another level altogether. She is much more flexible than the early stuff that Keith Jarrett was doing, who all of a sudden, by comparison, seems to sound a bit mechanical, where Hiromi, is all over the place ... and you can see it, when the two folks with her, outstanding both they are have a hard time even keeping up with her ... and you can tell Mr. Jackson needs a breather here and there! The material arrangement i fantastic, but her playing is out of this world, and something that the more serious "classical" stuff can not understand or give a feel to! If you want to see more, look up her duet with Chick Corea, who also did well to just keep up with her!

Most of the other material shown, is rather tame for my ears, and mostly pattern based on everything that is being sold these days. Originality is really hard to come by with most of these bands, sadly enough. Some things are enjoyable, but by the time that you hear that same old metal riff, or that same old growl, I think that things have a tendency to dry up in my ears. 

Edited by moshkito - June 11 2022 at 08:42
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 08:53
I loved the videos by Cellar Darling and Covet! Those were the two videos that I enjoyed most from the recommendations so far! I think that the Cellar Darling song sounds like Tool, but with a female singer! Smile Covet is precisely the kind of thing that I had in mind when I said the phrase "female-fronted progressive hard-rock"! It's exactly what I had hoped for! I liked the videos by Purson and Dark Horse White Horse. Smile I had already seen the videos by The Gentle Storm and Vintersea- They're great! Smile I'm not the biggest fan of extreme metal, but I still enjoyed Vintersea. Smile I know The Gentle Storm because I'm a huge fan of Arjen Lucassen! And I know the singer of Dark Horse White Horse because she seems to work with Arjen Lucassen often. Smile I couldn't get into the rest of the bands, but I checked them all out! Smile

Please keep the great recommendations coming! Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 09:21

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 09:23
Henry Cow - Living In The Heart Of The Beast

Thinking Plague - Sleeper Cell Anthem

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - June 17 2022 at 05:53
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2022 at 14:46
For history's sake, and for the sake of all members, please label the artist/title because many videos are taken down for whatever reason.

Rock on -- I have some spare time to listen to music, and love going into something random. Don't always want "The Same.... Old Song" :)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2022 at 15:09
(Jane Relf)
Starts with a killer rock guitar
Illusion - Madonna Blue

Edited by MortSahlFan - June 16 2022 at 15:13

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 05:31
Killer guitar riff.. Wonderful vocals. Fine production.

Curved Air - It Happened Today

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorchedFirth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 16:09
Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

I loved the videos by Cellar Darling and Covet! Those were the two videos that I enjoyed most from the recommendations so far! I think that the Cellar Darling song sounds like Tool, but with a female singer! Smile Covet is precisely the kind of thing that I had in mind when I said the phrase "female-fronted progressive hard-rock"! It's exactly what I had hoped for! I liked the videos by Purson and Dark Horse White Horse. Smile I had already seen the videos by The Gentle Storm and Vintersea- They're great! Smile I'm not the biggest fan of extreme metal, but I still enjoyed Vintersea. Smile I know The Gentle Storm because I'm a huge fan of Arjen Lucassen! And I know the singer of Dark Horse White Horse because she seems to work with Arjen Lucassen often. Smile I couldn't get into the rest of the bands, but I checked them all out! Smile

Please keep the great recommendations coming! Smile

Oh nice, thanks for taking the time! I think covet is like very wholesome sounding math rock, good for relaxing. The cellar darling song comes from a concept album about a woman who falls in love with death, very interesting.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 08:09
A Formal Horse

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 08:12
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 08:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

So many I am into. I'll stick with the modern and if not hard rock, music with a harder edge. I have been very into Anna von Hausswolff of late. The first track is a music video (of the kind that might play on MTV) and the second is a live performance.

"The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra"

"Evocation"

And Bent Knee has a fantastic singer. Here is "Bone Rage"

And Catch Light

Wow. This is the first time I've heard of Anna von Hausswolff. Man what a class act. Certainly not prog, more so ambient/drone, but this is incredible. She's also signed to Southern Lord, apparently, which is great because are an great label. Reminds of Darkher, to a small degree. Definitely adding her to my explore list...
 Post Reply Post Reply