Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old mp3 playlists on progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fifek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old mp3 playlists on progarchives
    Posted: June 15 2022 at 03:46
Hi, 
few years ago progarchives.com has had great option to listen to selected mp3. The mp3 player included sons representative to each subgenre and was available on subpage of a genre. Few years ago it has dissapeared, due to changes in law and new possibilites offered by streaming platforms (Spotify, Tidal etc.).

But while the mp3 players on progarchives.com were operating I was listening to it very often and the songs was great. Unfortunately I didn't save the song titles in any form to listen to them in present days and now I am looking for it. 

Now my question is: has anybody got saved the titles of the songs included in these playlists? I was trying to get them using webarchive, but these lists are not visible, since they were flas player based objects.

Anyone can help?    
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 10:28
If I remember correctly there were quite a lot of songs on these playlists. I'm guessing that either one of the admins or @Max himself might be able to get such lists.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 10:40
Go to a website called waybackmachine and you can look at old versions of PA, or any website. I doubt Max saved anything, he was in trouble with copyright people for his mp3s.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 11:41
Interesting to look back to 2005 when CTTE was the number one album.
I found this page which lists the most-downloaded MP3s, this might give you a clue.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 13:07
There could have been almost 9000 mp3's available for streaming. The last id I have found was 8967, referring to the track Seagull 1751 by In Each Hand a Cutlass (Post Rock / Math Rock, 2015). The URL's have the format http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=n. Unfortunately, the mp3 streaming does not work anymore Disapprove, but this functionality has been removed for understandable reasons.

Edited by someone_else - June 15 2022 at 13:09
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 14:09
It seems that at some point there were just regular download links on the artist pages instead of the player, as in here:

Maybe someone could write a script that lists those links for all artist ids.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 07:29
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Go to a website called waybackmachine and you can look at old versions of PA, or any website. I doubt Max saved anything, he was in trouble with copyright people for his mp3s.

Hi,

I wonder how this actually came out ... like the FCC chasing "micro-radio" in the 80's in California (small time FM stations from garages that could cover a half mile or so) ... eventually the tide changes and these days the whole mp3 thing is not set in stone, and Max could get an OK from the specific band ... and the case is closed.

I have a feeling that since the Napster thing, when all record companies went and tried to stop the mp3 from getting delivered further into the Internet, a lot of folks got threatened for it ... and in the end, those folks were the losers. It is wide open today and any band can sell their own online in their website. AND SELL it ... which is even better, though too many bands are afraid of taking on the idea that their money could stay home ... they never learned a single lesson from Wteven Silson selling cassettes from his own garage. 

We probably still think that is stupid but sometimes it all starts with the little girl at the corner by your house selling lemonade for a cent or a nickel!

I do NOT, have any clear legal information on this at all, so some of what I said might not be taken correctly, but I have seen bands sell more on their own, and do better, than many bands represented by a conglomerate. Marillion and Porcupine Tree are perfect examples of success made because their music was heard and the fans bought it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
fifek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fifek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2022 at 04:02
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

If I remember correctly there were quite a lot of songs on these playlists. I'm guessing that either one of the admins or @Max himself might be able to get such lists.

Unfortunately I asked admins and they cannot help. In fact, I dont know why.
fifek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fifek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2022 at 04:03

MP3s were in Flash windows and Wayback Machine dont extract data from Flash applets.
fifek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fifek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2022 at 04:08
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

It seems that at some point there were just regular download links on the artist pages instead of the player, as in here:

Maybe someone could write a script that lists those links for all artist ids.

The best would be just a normal list of songs. I collected some mp3s during the days that it was worked, but not all from all genres. The list of songs is very important to me, since i was listening it throug a long time while it was working and the selection of songs remained in my mind as a playlist of those years. I wonder, why admins dont have these lists or dont want to make them available. There were very good collections of songs, really!  
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2022 at 08:44
^ The admins do not have the lists you enquire about, otherwise they would gladly make them available.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 06:25

^ The admins do not have the lists you enquire about, otherwise they would gladly make them available.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is good/bad, right/wrong.

One reason, specially for us as a "progressive" bunch of folks, to let go of some history and then have it "disappear" is a sad thing. However, the computer age is a throw away society, and although we all have come a long way and many old bands recovered and found AGAIN, is a near thing. This is a good thing.

A list of the mp3's is probably not even necessary, if we know the context of the posting and what was shown/played, in which case I'm betting a nickel that it is already on the toob somewhere ... maybe ... 

Reminds me of my dad's library of Spanish, Portuguese and Brazilian literature, and around the 80's sometime, the University decided they wanted to index the library because students were finding things they never heard. To my knowledge this was never finished, or bothered with (easy to setup a course for graduates to spend time doing this!!! NOOOOO!) and I don't know if it was even done. According to my mom, that spent more than 40 years still publishing dad's stuff, about a quarter to a third were total unknowns, and yet they were published by somebody that believed in the writers, one could say. 

Honestly, I hate to see it all wasted, after all it is the human spirit that we are talking about ... but in the age of over population, same as the days with no population!!!) ... a lot is left behind that most will not even know about, or have a chance to see it, read it, or hear it.

Goodness ... the internet can really help here, but who's gonna pay for it, is the issue. Otherwise, most code folks are too busy doing something else ... probably getting stoned to JT again! (Smile Big smile LOL)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply