0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 15:16
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

It seems that those dance tracks did have a certain impact, after all. The 'percussive aspect' of the last couple of tracks, esp. the Blurt and the Nits ones encouraged me - despite all opposition - to suggest another dance song, well sort of. lol Btw. as mentioned before, my previous song by the Australian dance music trio Pnau was meant to be out of competition.

Ben LaMar Gay ft. Ohmme: Sometimes I Forget How Summer Looks on You

Ben LaMar is an American experimental jazz/fusion musician (multi-instrumentalist, vocalist, composer). Here he teamed up with art rock band Ohmme from Chicago, formed by Sima Cunningham and Marcie Stewart. The song is from LaMar's album 'Open Arms to Open Us' (2021).

this reminded me of this

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 15:58
Very much so, Massive Attack were groundbreaking in their genre! It wouldn't surprise me if they had been a source of inspiration for LaMar. He originally comes from jazz, but he likes to experiment beyond the music genres and that's actually what Massive Attack did too!

Edited by Mila-13 - July 02 2022 at 15:16
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 04:18
Hey all, I have been busy and haven'tbeen around. We don't as many participants as usual, so any interest in having each person nominate up to 2 of their suggestions. How about nominations have to be in by end of day Sunday with voting during the week. This gives a couple more days to possibly listen, comment, or come up with something new. Or let some other people join in
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 04:45
Mini reviews:

1) Dengue Fever - One Thousand Tears of a Tarantula
Basically a syncopated blues track, with a hard-rock guitar, a rock sax, an oriental voice, some jam session pieces. All very loaded, sustained, sometimes frantic. Very good.

2) Dor Koloingo - Mreznicko
Intrumental piece with an elaborate composition, led by the percussion, in effect it sounds similar to the previous one (jam-blues-style), but in this case the sound is more retro.

3) Ben LaMar Gay ft. Ohmme: Sometimes I Forget How Summer Looks on You
Piece with African rhythms but played in an electronic, cybernetic way. It's not my cup of tea.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 02 2022 at 10:21
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 17:03

@George, count me in!

Edited by Mila-13 - July 01 2022 at 17:04
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 10:09
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Hey all, I have been busy and haven'tbeen around. We don't as many participants as usual, so any interest in having each person nominate up to 2 of their suggestions. How about nominations have to be in by end of day Sunday with voting during the week. This gives a couple more days to possibly listen, comment, or come up with something new. Or let some other people join in

I agree with nominating two songs. I would say, for uniformity, to ask everyone to nominate a couple of songs, possibly not 10 minutes long.
Next week we can vote taking all week. I will open the next poll on Monday 11th July.

MY COUPLE OF SONGS:

1) Per Grazia Ricevuta (PGR): "Orfani e vedove"

2) Morphine: Super Sex (live)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZnx6-ZjIg

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 02 2022 at 10:17
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 10:31
Mini reviews:

1) Massive Attack: Unfinished Sympathy
Pop ballad based on sampled percussion and on the singing of the female singer. It's not my cup tea - Nice ending though with the attempt to achieve an epic atmosphere with the keyboards.

2) Catherine Wheel - I want to touch you
Power-pop song with the wall of sound and rattling guitar that we could find in one of the first Oasis albums. Excellent work on the guitar, but a supersaturated musical atmosphere, almost noisy. I have contrasting feelings towards this song.

3) The Nits - A Touch of Henry Moore
I think I've already voted for The Nits once. However, this doesn't matter. At the same time neurotic and cybernetic atmosphere, very neat music, clean sound. Pretty song.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 10:47
Mini reviews:

1) Altin Gun: Hey Nari
Sung in Turkish, I think, with an oriental-looking, rather commercial funk sound.

2) Mustaphas 3 - Anapse to Tsigaro
Another oriental song, I don't know in which language it is sung. The melody and the percussion are fundamental, then the singing is exactly as it should be. But overall I don't feel depth in this song and the previous one.

3) The Comet Is Coming (with Joshua Idehen) - Imminent
Nu jazz song that reminded me of System of a Dawn's album Toxicity, which is nu metal. But I don't post it because I've already picked my pair of songs. Nice piece with the sax, interesting in flashes, but overall I struggle to get to the end.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 04:24
^ Thanks for these mini-reviews, Lorenzo, always nice to read.

Just came back from a couple of days in Bologna (aka Lewian City; so we had the chance to share a very enjoyable dinner) and I hope I will have time to listen to the latest suggestions today.

My nominations will be: 
- The Nits - A Touch of Henry Moore
- The Comet Is Coming (with Joshua Idehen) - Imminent

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 10:47
Hug
I'll nominate3 Mustapha 3 - Anapse to Tsiugaro
and
Blurt - Tube Plane
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 16:32
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 01:12
My Pain of Salvation song does not qualify, if it's final nomination time, all i got is the Massive Attack song. 
Or are we interacting some more? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 02:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

My Pain of Salvation song does not qualify, if it's final nomination time, all i got is the Massive Attack song. 

I will be entering the poll today. If you want to suggest a second song, you can. I think injust need to hear from Nick on whether he wants both songs he suggested to go in the poll.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 02:38

I will be entering the poll today. If you want to suggest a second song, you can. I think I just need to hear from Nick on whether he wants both songs he suggested to go in the poll.

Poll is entered. I included the two songs Nick had suggested. 

Cristi, if you want one more included, you are welcome to suggest it.

Playlist has been added to the first post. Also below.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 02:39

I will be entering the poll today. If you want to suggest a second song, you can. I think I just need to hear from Nick on whether he wants both songs he suggested to go in the poll.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 05:52
Sorry, yes please, both songs!

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 14:17

@Goerge, thank you for the playlists. It is really helpful that you also added them to your first post. Much appreciated!

Edited by Mila-13 - July 05 2022 at 14:18
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 05:09
Semifinals:

Nits vs. The Comet is Coming. These are both great and would make a good final at least, but I know the Nits track (what a versatile and creative band though), so this is a free pass for The Comet is Coming.

Sarathy Korwar vs. Ben LaMar Gay: Uplifting stuff from Ben LaMar Gay, but as a former Londoner I am too attracted by Korwar's view of the city.

PGR vs. Morphine: Toughest one of the semifinals, both of these are full of power and energy. I love them both, but I think the two string bass and the double saxophone impress me so much that I've got to go for Morphine.

Doringo vs. The Adults: Oh, this is also tough. Very nicely done instrumental by Doringo, against the colourful swingy and joyful Adults. I think today I prefer the rawer more edgy sound of Doringo.

Dengue Fever vs. Coreyah: I can only say good things about the Dengue Fever one, another one with good rhythm and power. The arrangement has some spark, but is actually beaten on arrangement's sparkiness by the super charming and exciting Coreyah track.

Massive Attack get a free pass to the finals.    

Edited by Lewian - July 09 2022 at 05:16
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 05:16
Finals:
The Comet is Coming vs. Sarathy Korwar. The London duel, as also that Comet is Coming track is about London and its darker sides. This also speaks to me, having lived in a place where people were killed because they turned up at the wrong post code after having said the wrong things. The Comet is Coming win this based on awesome instrumentation. Hope these guys are not too close to the gang culture this is about, but they sound worryingly authentic.

Morphine vs. Doringo: As much as I like the Doringo track, I felt that I need to listen to the Morphine track again and again. Morphine wins.

Coreyah vs. Massive Attack: Massive Attack is very good to listen to, I like a lot of their stuff, but Coreyah sounds just more special and original to me. So Coreyah it is. 

Very strong poll once more, one for the fans of strong rhythms.

Edited by Lewian - July 09 2022 at 05:25
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 11:22
This was really a great poll idea. It deserved a bit more participants, but those who did lived up to the general quality of these interactive polls. Yes, most of the suggestions had an infectious rhythm to it and all were very enjoyable. So, again, it is not easy to get to a top three...

My podium starts with Dengue Fever and Doringo, both wonderfully contagious tracks!
Then I was hesitating between Per Grazia Ricevuta and Sarathy Korwar. Regarding both I like their energy and the committed lyrics, but I think I'll go with the former which, musically, sounds just a tiny bit more challenging.

Edited by suitkees - July 09 2022 at 11:43

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>