Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the problem with modern day music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 22:01
I agree. But one could say those people unwilling to let it die actually have a friend in the Internet. It allows for these niches to become true listening communities. Otherwise, anything other than what "sells" would have no way of being discovered. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 04:11
Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

First off, addressing me as girl shows your immaturity. If you are a man, act like it. If you are a women, act like it. Simple, no? Secondly, I answered you in the same way that present yourself. Putting subjective views forward and acting as it they are empirical facts and your force of wording makes them concrete. I'm you, but you don't see the irony. I gave the response you deserved. Whenever you bring words like "good", "like", etc. into the discussion, it's subjective. Stick to objective measurable criteria such as "popularity", "sales", etc. Again, I would take you seriously. An btw, stating that I don't like pop music is mind reading, another subjective act on your part, but you fail to see that as well.

Girl, bye. Get outta here with that gender conformist bs. Maturity would be not getting pressed over such a thing in the first place, my love.

You wanna play the victim like I'm being elitist for calling out your elitism? You do you, honey boo boo. I'm not going to be a party to it no more.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
I know this isn't any of my business, but this feels extremely generational. I was - and still is "on your side" regarding the actual discussion. But I'm guessing I'm older than you. Maybe even a lot. Nevertheless SteveG is still older than my dad. And I wouldn't "bye, bye girl" or "honey boo boo" him (nor would I to anyone, but that's beside the point) as I know he wouldn't understand what I was on about. At all. An older person doesn't have to be a gender conformist a****le just because the way you speak is like a foreign language to them. When the person you're communicating with was 25, it was 1972.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 06:09
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Otherwise, anything other than what "sells" would have no way of being discovered. 

Hi,

I'm not exactly convinced of that. There was not a whole lot in the 50's and early 60's that was playing much of anything, and most radio was owned by the movie studios, with the exception of a few local stations that did commercials and hits ... the usual AM station, because they were really cheap to bring up at the time.

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, kinda helped change things ... since their albums were all STEREO and people knew it ... and eventually that helped bring about (it had been there since 1928 in Madison) the FM radio which was stereo, and all of a sudden the music sounds way better than you even imagined unless you bought the albums and had a player for it, which most folks then, had a "cheapie" that played stereo but was not very good.

Fast forward 10 years and you are in the middle of the 70's and FM radio, in America, is massive and sells gazillion albums, which went on to help the rest of Europe ... but mind you that according to Dave Cousins (Strawbs) it was still a massive struggle as he was a part of bringing FM station to the front in England, according to his book! The BBC and other corporate/government folks were doing their best to bury it all (story of Pirate Radio and then the FM radio in England) ... but eventually failed.

The new material was a normal thing, since in America, many of the "new" FM stations were independent and not required to play anything they did not want to, and many of them were totally against the AM radio style of music play ... hits and hits and hits and nothing else! This was MASSIVE, and allowed a lot of different folks to play many things they found ... and it was no secret that in places like LA, SF, NY and a few others, many things took off ... remember that if you sell 100K albums in NY you are famous!!!! LA and SF, probably half that!

A lot of bands got their chance and many deservedly so, and they ended up being known the world over ... a great example was The Allman Brothers Band, really well known in one area in America, but nowhere else, they were brought to the Fillmore and all of a sudden they exploded on the FM radio bands. And they were very good as were many others, but they were doing the free form thing of the 60's a lot, and when FM radio in America was raped by the Corporate Raiders, guess what was the first thing to go? Long cuts!

The individuality of the beginning of FM radio, is for me the difference. What was played in Madison, WI was not the same as SF, or LA or NY at all ... and these differences were major in many cases. LA immediately showcased its scene. SF immediately showcased its scene. NY immediately showcased its scene, mostly controlled by folks related to or around the great fake artist.

I can't speak for a lot of the rest of Europe, but I know from the arts in Europe that experimentation and doing things different, even if we are too silly to only think of them as just a cultural this or that, had always been at the forefront of the arts for many years, and rock music ... followed the course, although in England the stuck up progressivistas would never even consider that!

As I said over and over again, music is all over, and everywhere. You either hear it or you don't. Anyone who says that it can not be discovered is basically stating a sad truth ... they stopped looking and searching for the new music, or the new art, or the new world ... and even if it hit them i their face, they would not recognize it.

This is the reason why I think that the new "scene" needs to come from something that is not "owned" or "controlled" by the old guard ... because they will change it. Thus I would like to see streaming have a chance to remain independent for a lot longer than FM radio was ... because it required a "LICENSE" and for all intents and purposes, streaming is wide open right now ... my hope is that it always remains that way for the sake of the art and the music!

The only issue left is fans that are glued to the hits and top this or that!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 06:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

[QUOTE=Awesoreno]

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, kinda helped change things ... since their albums were all STEREO and people knew it ... 

Just to point out The Beatles' (and presumably The Stones) early albums were all mono. Off the top of my head is was either Revolver or Sgt Pepper that was the first one specifically mixed for stereo.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 07:38
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

[QUOTE=Awesoreno]

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, kinda helped change things ... since their albums were all STEREO and people knew it ... 

Just to point out The Beatles' (and presumably The Stones) early albums were all mono. Off the top of my head is was either Revolver or Sgt Pepper that was the first one specifically mixed for stereo.
Actually, both were mixed in superior mono versions first, the stereo versions were considered a mere fad at the time and did not receive the same attention to detail that the mono mixes were subject to. It's amazing how these "fads" endored.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 23:22
I suppose "have no way of being discovered" was an overstatement. I should have said "have less chance of being discovered and explored at the whim of the listener."
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 00:36
I'm from 92 and I would find stupid to be referred as a girl, being a 6'2 f**ker. And I'm planning to legally identify as a woman as soon as they let you change your status without medical intervention in my country, which is going to happen soon, apparently. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 01:18
Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

I'm from 92 and I would find stupid to be referred as a girl, being a 6'2 f**ker. And I'm planning to legally identify as a woman as soon as they let you change your status without medical intervention in my country, which is going to happen soon, apparently. 
Ok, fair enough. I'm just 5'9 with no plans to identify as a woman any time soon, and would have just shrugged - or smiled if someone referred to me as "girl". Anyway, I still feel the original conversation was just two people not speaking the same lingo.
finnley View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 07:54
There is no sense in that set of words in today's music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234