Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - the problem with modern day music
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the problem with modern day music

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message
Necrotica View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Prog Metal Team

Joined: July 28 2015
Location: Iwakuni, Japan
Status: Offline
Points: 1411
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 21:00
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the biggest problem with modern music is that it sounds sterile due to the as good as flawless modern recording technique. this is even true for artists I like. when will people understand that the little flaws make the music much more interesting?

also all the instruments and vocals are clearly separated; you can follow each of them individually. this again makes the music sterile.

we only ever record live in the studio, with no overdubs whatever. this is how music should sound

I often find myself agreeing with this. 

Even a lot of today's metal is extremely overproduced, which takes the edge off of what's otherwise supposed to be intense or brutal music. It's a problem that's especially prevalent in metalcore and djent music right now, which is why Blood Incantation's 2019 album Hidden History of the Human Race is one of my favorite records of the past few years. The band intentionally modeled it after a 70s prog album, even down to the inclusion of a side-long epic and entirely analog production. You really hear the imperfections in the recording, which just adds to the charm of the record even more Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why of why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 07 2019
Location: Culver City, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 2282
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 23:59
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

But that remains unchanged for any point in time, so renders the whole thread pointless.
I dont quite agree, cause another argument i put forth was, early millennials ,Gen X and baby boomers, had to buy every piece of music they wanted to be able to listen to at will, there was no youtube and spotify for us, so this meant that we were more willing to listen to every music we had in heavy rotation, because we had less of it, and what we did have we spent our hard earned money on, so understandable cause and effect.

I think this shaped our appreciation of music more to be more dedicated listeners because of this.    Yes i agree that the youth of today have more access to more music than ever before and this makes them luckier.   But please see my argument here too.
I understand your argument. I simply donít agree with it. As Lewian posted, it was still possible to hear a wide range of music without buying it. We listened to the music that we bought, but also to the music from the collections of our friends, and of our siblings, and of our friendsí siblings, etc. We dubbed each otherís albums onto tape, and we made mistakes.

And then, just as now, not everyone was a dedicated music listener. Sure, there were some, but in my youth (in the 80s and 90s) we were a definite minority. I think you are overstating how many listeners of music then were dedicated listeners, and woefully underestimating how many listeners of music are dedicated listeners in their own way. It may not be the same way, but that doesnít mean they are any less dedicated. Sure there are plenty of passive listeners, for whom music is simply something in the background while they do something else - but you surely canít think that there werenít just as many such listeners in the pre-internet days, because surely there were.

Oh, and I just remembered one more way that the youth of today might discover prog, and that is the almighty Shazam. Hear something on tv in an ad or film or program, or playing while youíre in a shop or restaurant, and want to know what it is? Shazam it. Instant discovery of something new to listen to. And prog songs definitely do get played in the soundtracks for tv programs and films.

Thank you. Beautifully restating what I was saying earlier. Yes, I agree that in general (and not just for music) attention spans have diminished. But I don't think that has as much of an effect on the pool of listenership for prog as OP thinks. I still am of the opinion that more people listen to prog now than in the "classic" period. More people listen to more kinds of music in general. People were not somehow more open-minded back then. And based on your point (that I agree with) that having limited access and a smaller pool of records to choose from could make one focus more on what one has, that certainly would NOT imply that this inherent limitation led to MORE open-mindedness. 
Back to Top
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 04 2007
Location: Grok City
Status: Offline
Points: 13407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 06:27
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

...
Yes, I agree that in general (and not just for music) attention spans have diminished. But I don't think that has as much of an effect on the pool of listenership for prog as OP thinks. 
...

Hi,

I'm not sure how this can possibly be true, when more fans, than ever, are participating in many of these discussions, as well as other bits and pieces. 

What may have happened, is that folks with better/higher attention spans, are likely less interested in making comments about something that ... sometimes is just absurd ... and the question is meant to confuse people more than it is to help define and clarify the situation.

If you are a listener, you will listen ... plain and simple ... and if you are a fan, the post just made on this one band will be totally forgotten next week and replaced by another band! While one can say that this person heard a thing or two, the chances are that they did not take an in depth listen or their change of taste and appreciation would not have been gone a few days later ... and this is one of the things that we need to clarify to "fans" ... when their tastes change over time.

For many of us, that have been onto this for 40 or 50 years, there is no "change" per se, and preferences tend to go by wayside, since now you listen for the appreciation of the music, and not for the one thing that you liked in your teen days! We all had that issue!

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

...
I still am of the opinion that more people listen to prog now than in the "classic" period. 
...

I'm not sure about this, specially when there are so many progressive bands leading towards the metal side of it, that have come up in the past 20 years. The listenership is all over the place and I'm not sure that we can find a conclusive idea as to what one hears or not ... and as soon as we do, someone will bust that theory to smithereens.

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

...
People were not somehow more open-minded back then. And based on your point (that I agree with) that having limited access and a smaller pool of records to choose from could make one focus more on what one has, that certainly would NOT imply that this inherent limitation led to MORE open-mindedness. 

How the fudge could we be not open minded when we ended up finding the vary bands that are now considered the top of the progressive music world. Your comment needs refining ... since the time and place was incredibly open  minded and diverse to the point of incredible and insane. Today, by comparison, there really is not as much diversity as there was then, specially considering the many new bands that are added to PA every day ... half of them sound the same as many others ... WE DIDN'T HAVE THAT ISSUE THEN ... and we were all misty eyed when we heard something incredible. Today, this ability to be so different as to be able to blow over an audience is not happening and many fans depend on the stupid smog and fire shows and low class 2nd rate lighting of many shows so they can think they are seeing something great. They are seeing something they have never seen at home or in school, for sure ... but it being considered one of the best?

The listing and number of bands (see the post about the number of old bands reissued ... it should wake you up huge!!!) from the early days, show a lot more creativity and diversity than you do now ... sort of like that writer that said ... they have a democracy but they don't want to use it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Back to Top
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 12 2015
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 165
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 02:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

The fact that some of you accept, out of hand, that a) commercial music isn't good and b) it could only be enjoyed by those with a 'low attention span' is bad faith criticism which takes away from the agency of people to make their own critical decisions about what they enjoy. 


Commercial music is not good. If it was, I would listen to it. I cannot understand how any critical analysis could be ascribed to modern pop music. Critical of what? Modern pop music is a cultural phenomenon imbued with social significance for it's adherents and is outside the bounds of most artistic or aesthetic criticisms. That's my two cents. Discuss.

Well first of all, the reason you don't listen to it isn't because it "isn't good", just that you don't like it. This is where I have the issue, any time you try to make an objective statement like that it feels like a lazy way to big up your own personal preferences.

As for there being a lack of aesthetic dialogue surrounding pop music? Not to put too fine a point on it but, that's insane. You must not be paying that much attention to insinuate first that there is absolutely no dialogue about the artistic merits of pop and the implication that said discussions are the exclusive right of "artistic music", whatever that is.

The reason I can't take this position seriously is because it's not a considered opinion that comes from an informed place. It's you attempting to pass off open and flagrant bias as objective fact with a selective personal metric. You don't like pop music. That's your prerogative, go bananas. It lacks a critical culture? Provably untrue, you just don't see it.

As a final point, progressive rock isn't exactly the "music for music's sakes" genre either. It also has a pretty prominent focus on cults of personality and cultural imagery. Because you like the music you're willing to consider that a tertiary point, much the same as I can about pop music imagery.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
Back to Top
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 17 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2585
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 04:07
I think Queensryche had a pertinent observation with perceptions quickening. Not diminishing.

Some may recall that prog fans on yahoo groups found that they weren't the only ones into Yes, KC et al. Many thought they were and had said so. From that time the sub- genre ... prog... enjoyed a massive resurgence due to on line social interaction.

People are a summation of their contradictions rather than resolutions. Awful productions and mastering have now become superb productions and now people want their imperfections back... Fine, go and pick up a stack of records from a second hand music store and listen to everything two generations down, snap crackle, pop. We talk ourselves into social approval.

There is a some fine music now and then. People marveled over the exquisite sounds of Blow By Blow and Dark Side. But quality has improved since; have listeners or the equipment they use? Every so often, me included I've found my collection sonically outdated. Very tedious.

I think the imperfections are a sign people want a quality human interaction experience rather than a musical one. The music is the vehicle. Well, it used to be. Now it's a destination.



Back to Top
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 11 2014
Location: Kyiv In Spirit
Status: Offline
Points: 19561
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 05:35
Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

The fact that some of you accept, out of hand, that a) commercial music isn't good and b) it could only be enjoyed by those with a 'low attention span' is bad faith criticism which takes away from the agency of people to make their own critical decisions about what they enjoy. 


Commercial music is not good. If it was, I would listen to it. I cannot understand how any critical analysis could be ascribed to modern pop music. Critical of what? Modern pop music is a cultural phenomenon imbued with social significance for it's adherents and is outside the bounds of most artistic or aesthetic criticisms. That's my two cents. Discuss.

Well first of all, the reason you don't listen to it isn't because it "isn't good", just that you don't like it. This is where I have the issue, any time you try to make an objective statement like that it feels like a lazy way to big up your own personal preferences.

As for there being a lack of aesthetic dialogue surrounding pop music? Not to put too fine a point on it but, that's insane. You must not be paying that much attention to insinuate first that there is absolutely no dialogue about the artistic merits of pop and the implication that said discussions are the exclusive right of "artistic music", whatever that is.

The reason I can't take this position seriously is because it's not a considered opinion that comes from an informed place. It's you attempting to pass off open and flagrant bias as objective fact with a selective personal metric. You don't like pop music. That's your prerogative, go bananas. It lacks a critical culture? Provably untrue, you just don't see it.

As a final point, progressive rock isn't exactly the "music for music's sakes" genre either. It also has a pretty prominent focus on cults of personality and cultural imagery. Because you like the music you're willing to consider that a tertiary point, much the same as I can about pop music imagery.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
You posted an opinion in the thread that's based on total subjectivity, but demean a subjective opinion that differs from yours. How nice. Now who's uniformed? Btw, it would help if you could distinguish between objective views and subjective ones. Then I could take you seriously. 

Edited by SteveG - June 23 2022 at 05:43
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Back to Top
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 12 2015
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 165
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 06:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

The fact that some of you accept, out of hand, that a) commercial music isn't good and b) it could only be enjoyed by those with a 'low attention span' is bad faith criticism which takes away from the agency of people to make their own critical decisions about what they enjoy. 


Commercial music is not good. If it was, I would listen to it. I cannot understand how any critical analysis could be ascribed to modern pop music. Critical of what? Modern pop music is a cultural phenomenon imbued with social significance for it's adherents and is outside the bounds of most artistic or aesthetic criticisms. That's my two cents. Discuss.

Well first of all, the reason you don't listen to it isn't because it "isn't good", just that you don't like it. This is where I have the issue, any time you try to make an objective statement like that it feels like a lazy way to big up your own personal preferences.

As for there being a lack of aesthetic dialogue surrounding pop music? Not to put too fine a point on it but, that's insane. You must not be paying that much attention to insinuate first that there is absolutely no dialogue about the artistic merits of pop and the implication that said discussions are the exclusive right of "artistic music", whatever that is.

The reason I can't take this position seriously is because it's not a considered opinion that comes from an informed place. It's you attempting to pass off open and flagrant bias as objective fact with a selective personal metric. You don't like pop music. That's your prerogative, go bananas. It lacks a critical culture? Provably untrue, you just don't see it.

As a final point, progressive rock isn't exactly the "music for music's sakes" genre either. It also has a pretty prominent focus on cults of personality and cultural imagery. Because you like the music you're willing to consider that a tertiary point, much the same as I can about pop music imagery.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
You posted an opinion in the thread that's based on total subjectivity, but demean a subjective opinion that differs from yours. How nice. Now who's uniformed? Btw, it would help if you could distinguish between objective views and subjective ones. Then I could take you seriously. 

You literally weren't making a subjective point, girl. You said "Commercial music is not good. If it was, I would listen to it. I cannot understand how any critical analysis could be ascribed to modern pop music. Critical of what? Modern pop music is a cultural phenomenon imbued with social significance for it's adherents and is outside the bounds of most artistic or aesthetic criticisms. That's my two cents." and then said "Discuss". I don't know what kind of response you expected.

I objected to you taking a subjective opinion and trying to puff it up as some truth, now you're claiming that you were just voicing your opinion the whole time? Girl, don't play that. Be consistent.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
Back to Top
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 11 2014
Location: Kyiv In Spirit
Status: Offline
Points: 19561
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 06:21
Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

The fact that some of you accept, out of hand, that a) commercial music isn't good and b) it could only be enjoyed by those with a 'low attention span' is bad faith criticism which takes away from the agency of people to make their own critical decisions about what they enjoy. 


Commercial music is not good. If it was, I would listen to it. I cannot understand how any critical analysis could be ascribed to modern pop music. Critical of what? Modern pop music is a cultural phenomenon imbued with social significance for it's adherents and is outside the bounds of most artistic or aesthetic criticisms. That's my two cents. Discuss.

Well first of all, the reason you don't listen to it isn't because it "isn't good", just that you don't like it. This is where I have the issue, any time you try to make an objective statement like that it feels like a lazy way to big up your own personal preferences.

As for there being a lack of aesthetic dialogue surrounding pop music? Not to put too fine a point on it but, that's insane. You must not be paying that much attention to insinuate first that there is absolutely no dialogue about the artistic merits of pop and the implication that said discussions are the exclusive right of "artistic music", whatever that is.

The reason I can't take this position seriously is because it's not a considered opinion that comes from an informed place. It's you attempting to pass off open and flagrant bias as objective fact with a selective personal metric. You don't like pop music. That's your prerogative, go bananas. It lacks a critical culture? Provably untrue, you just don't see it.

As a final point, progressive rock isn't exactly the "music for music's sakes" genre either. It also has a pretty prominent focus on cults of personality and cultural imagery. Because you like the music you're willing to consider that a tertiary point, much the same as I can about pop music imagery.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
You posted an opinion in the thread that's based on total subjectivity, but demean a subjective opinion that differs from yours. How nice. Now who's uniformed? Btw, it would help if you could distinguish between objective views and subjective ones. Then I could take you seriously. 

You literally weren't making a subjective point, girl. You said "Commercial music is not good. If it was, I would listen to it. I cannot understand how any critical analysis could be ascribed to modern pop music. Critical of what? Modern pop music is a cultural phenomenon imbued with social significance for it's adherents and is outside the bounds of most artistic or aesthetic criticisms. That's my two cents." and then said "Discuss". I don't know what kind of response you expected.

I objected to you taking a subjective opinion and trying to puff it up as some truth, now you're claiming that you were just voicing your opinion the whole time? Girl, don't play that. Be consistent.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
First off, addressing me as girl shows your immaturity. If you are a man, act like it. If you are a women, act like it. Simple, no? Secondly, I answered you in the same way that present yourself. Putting subjective views forward and acting as it they are empirical facts and your force of wording makes them concrete. I'm you, but you don't see the irony. I gave the response you deserved. Whenever you bring words like "good", "like", etc. into the discussion, it's subjective. Stick to objective measurable criteria such as "popularity", "sales", etc. Again, I would take you seriously. An btw, stating that I don't like pop music is mind reading, another subjective act on your part, but you fail to see that as well.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Back to Top
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 04 2007
Location: Grok City
Status: Offline
Points: 13407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 06:57
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

...
Fine, go and pick up a stack of records from a second hand music store and listen to everything two generations down, snap crackle, pop. We talk ourselves into social approval.
...

Hi,

And sometimes, really poor comments.

You really think that any of us in the 60's and 70's had any issues with the snap, crackle and pop?

You should check the top records listed for "Progressive Music" ... and that ought to tell you that we listened a lot more, and with more dedication and appreciation than the glut-ridden folks of today ... specially when it is really easy to tell via their comments if they even bothered to listen to the whole thing or not. I even wonder how many of them EVER heard Stairway to Heaven! To them it's probably too long anyway and too weird with so many senseless changes!

RIGHT ...

Snap, Crackle and Pop ... belongs in your morning cereal, and this mention about the music we grew up with is not exactly a good one. I have never heard anyone complain about CTTE, or TAAB or Tarkus ... because of the snap, crackle and pop ... but modern non-listeners think that it ruined the music ... and they don't get it ... the music survived it better than their idea!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Back to Top
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 12 2015
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 165
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 06:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

First off, addressing me as girl shows your immaturity. If you are a man, act like it. If you are a women, act like it. Simple, no? Secondly, I answered you in the same way that present yourself. Putting subjective views forward and acting as it they are empirical facts and your force of wording makes them concrete. I'm you, but you don't see the irony. I gave the response you deserved. Whenever you bring words like "good", "like", etc. into the discussion, it's subjective. Stick to objective measurable criteria such as "popularity", "sales", etc. Again, I would take you seriously. An btw, stating that I don't like pop music is mind reading, another subjective act on your part, but you fail to see that as well.

Girl, bye. Get outta here with that gender conformist bs. Maturity would be not getting pressed over such a thing in the first place, my love.

You wanna play the victim like I'm being elitist for calling out your elitism? You do you, honey boo boo. I'm not going to be a party to it no more.

Love, DreamTechPlus.


Edited by DreamTechPlus - June 23 2022 at 06:59
Back to Top
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 04 2007
Location: Grok City
Status: Offline
Points: 13407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:06
Hi,

We need a new thread. 

Somehow, the idea/concept of subjective/objective is being set to be real instead of imaginary, since it mostly has absolutely nothing to do with the origin of the piece ... and the fan (herself/himself!) has no right to say that their idea is more important than the artistic interpretation. 

Get over it folks! Stop getting involved in kids discussions!

We could call it Nitup'ism now! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Back to Top
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 12 2015
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 165
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:07
No need. It's done.

Love, DreamTechPlus.
Back to Top
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: July 20 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ USA
Status: Offline
Points: 5760
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 15:30
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Who is today's Robert Fripp?  (well, Bob Fripp of course, but still)....or Chick Corea?  Or Chris Squire?


Today's Fripp



Today's Chick.



Today's Chris


Sorry, not even close!  Cry
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Back to Top
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 09 2019
Location: Kansas City
Status: Offline
Points: 6676
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 17:05
^You would say the same to anyone's choices. For you, no one will ever be better than Fripp, Chick or Chris. Cool, but only your opinion.
Back to Top
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 07 2019
Location: Culver City, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 2282
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 23:39
You could have asked Chick's opinion of Hiromi when he was still alive. He was blown away.
Back to Top
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 11 2014
Location: Kyiv In Spirit
Status: Offline
Points: 19561
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 07:10
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^You would say the same to anyone's choices. For you, no one will ever be better than Fripp, Chick or Chris. Cool, but only your opinion.
While I'm not dissing Cstack's personel views, I have to agree with you that there are many fine modern day prog artists with the requisite chops. If not, then they couldn't create and perform progressive rock music on a level that's enjoyed by us. I'm thinking of relatively recent artists like drummer Marco Minnermann, as one example, who's as good as any old time prog drummer.

Edited by SteveG - June 25 2022 at 09:58
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Back to Top
Necrotica View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Prog Metal Team

Joined: July 28 2015
Location: Iwakuni, Japan
Status: Offline
Points: 1411
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 07:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Who is today's Robert Fripp?  (well, Bob Fripp of course, but still)....or Chick Corea?  Or Chris Squire?


Today's Fripp



Today's Chick.



Today's Chris


Sorry, not even close!  Cry

Why the hell would you even comment if you're not going to elaborate? You're not adding anything constructive to the conversation


Edited by Necrotica - June 25 2022 at 07:17
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why of why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life
Back to Top
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 11 2014
Location: Kyiv In Spirit
Status: Offline
Points: 19561
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 07:22
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Who is today's Robert Fripp? †(well, Bob Fripp of course, but still)....or Chick Corea? †Or Chris Squire?


Today's Fripp



Today's Chick.



Today's Chris



Sorry, not even close! †Cry


Why the hell would you even comment if you're not going to elaborate? You're not adding anything constructive to the conversation

It goes without saying that Cstack's heroes are prog rock's innovators, but you can only invent the wheel once. The rest is refinements of that invention.

Edited by SteveG - June 25 2022 at 07:23
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Back to Top
olehvgrn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: June 25 2022
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 20
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote olehvgrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 13:09
I think it's cool to have such quick access to songs. Also because of this, many young brand new singers can publish their music and find like-minded people
Back to Top
fathomer1963 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie


Joined: January 10 2016
Location: Uk
Status: Offline
Points: 4
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fathomer1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 18:18
The advent of streaming music via the internet was always going to lead down the current road. As soon as the record company's clocked on to the potential of simply downloading tracks rather than having to go through the 'hassle' of buying whole albums, rather than simply moaning about piracy, they made sure the idea of a music scene that was wide ranging, multi faceted and bursting with new ideas was doomed. The record biz (having worked with the big five (as it was) reps I found the biz has no interest, whatsoever, in promoting anything bar the most bland, easily accessible and unchallenging music available. Modern music has morphed into the equivalent of Carlsberg/Fosters. All that matters to them is the bottom line - dollars. Artists showing off their chops!? Bah, humbug. Robert Fripp, in one of the notes to the KC Steven Wilson remixes, makes some interesting points. These being, that during the 1960's and 1970's, the music business saw a revolution, and characters emerged at the very top that wanted to see, new, exciting, challenging music promoted and succeed in the music market. In the 1980's, the money men started to take over, and the top men increasingly left it down to them, resulting in music becoming more and more commercial. By the 1990's and the new century, Fripp states that the money men had been replaced by hard faced PR merchants who really had no interest whatsoever in what was 'good', only in what sells. And what sells is plastic pop. Rock, in all its forms lives on, but only due to a hardcore of people unwilling to let it die, and in the face of open record company hostility.  
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.867 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.