Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Archival PROG releases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Archival PROG releases
    Posted: June 21 2022 at 20:01
Hey all!

I just created an exhaustive list of PROG STUDIO ALBUMS that were released archivally

I strived to find as many as possible but i'm sure there are some obscure or even obvious releases that i totally overlooked :?

Please take a look and if you have any suggestions, please do tell!!!

Cheers

Smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 20:58
Cheers, and good work -
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 23:30
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 23:31
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Hey all!

I just created an exhaustive list of PROG STUDIO ALBUMS that were released archivally

I strived to find as many as possible but i'm sure there are some obscure or even obvious releases that i totally overlooked :?

Please take a look and if you have any suggestions, please do tell!!!

Cheers

Smile

WOW!!  Thanks, what an effort!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 03:59
Wow!!

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 04:15
The Residents - Not Available was recorded in 1974 and released in 1978.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 06:59
Nicely done - thank you!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 08:14
Thanks everyone. Suggestions added :)

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 10:02
Contemporary Past by Ominox is another good one!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 19:40
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Contemporary Past by Ominox is another good one!

Good find. Never heard of em

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 20:11
Two Italian prog albums not listed: Il Giro Strano - La Divina Commedia and Corte Dei Miracoli -Dimensione Onirica

I thought maybe Genfuoco was another one but apparently that was released at the time (1979).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 22 2022 at 20:24
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Two Italian prog albums not listed: Il Giro Strano - La Divina Commedia and Corte Dei Miracoli -Dimensione Onirica

I thought maybe Genfuoco was another one but apparently that was released at the time (1979).

Il Giro Strano already there. Look under the letter I. I alphabatize like a database (except English THE)
OTher one wasn't there so thanks for t hat :)

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:11
Great work. Much appreciated.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:41
Hi,

This is great ... and PERSONALLY for me this is a HUGE FINGER to anyone that thinks that we were all a bunch of "snap, crackle and pop" generation that could not listen to any of the music ... today, we even hear more of it than ever ... but I can not remember a single time when CTTE, TAAB, TFTO, Sgt Pepper's, Hendrix, My lovely Janis, the wonderful Jim ... EVER had a snap, crackle and pop misdirect me from hearing them!

It's just a comment by fans that have not quite heard the music, or concentrated on it, so the continuity never died in your head and in your heart WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENED TO US ... and we still remember it and will forever!

BTW, I didn't get that far ... yet on that alphabet!

Electric Prunes?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:49
I would've mentioned the three superb albums by Peter Banks' Empire - recorded in the 1970's and released in the 1990's - but I see you already have them listed. Nice work! Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 23 2022 at 07:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:50
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Great work. Much appreciated.

Some of my favorite underground prog is from archival artists that were too weird for their time so there are definitely some gems in archival releases.

I made this because i couldn't find a comprehensive list anywhere that anybody had done so thought i'd make one. Others on RYM have started but never took it all the way.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 08:40

Il Giro Strano already there. Look under the letter I. I alphabatize like a database (except English THE)

Just so you know, in those kinds of situations, starting the title with the first proper word is usually how you would alphabetize it. For example, on progarchives, Il Giro Strano, Ill Balletto Di Bronzo and Le Orme all start with G, B and O respectively. I doubt PA would be doing it the wrong way. Ultimately, it's your list and you can do what you want, but that's typically how it goes based on what I've seen online. Being consistent with the usage is possibly the most important thing though (if you don't want to change it). Thanks for adding the one that wasn't already on there though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 23 2022 at 08:45
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 14:43
^To add to your comments about initial articles in Italian, these two sites list initial articles in many languages (maybe even all of them?):

I'm kind of old school and remember a day when most databases ignored initial articles in a browse list. It seems that practice is becoming more and more quaint as I get older. 

There also was a day when we sorted by surname instead of given name. Are we still doing that these days? I still am. Maybe programmers these days have more important things to do than worry about sorting, though these algorithms have been known since the dawn of computing. I'm turning into a curmudgeon.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 17:03

Just so you know, in those kinds of situations, starting the title with the first proper word is usually how you would alphabetize it. For example, on progarchives, Il Giro Strano, Ill Balletto Di Bronzo and Le Orme all start with G, B and O respectively. I doubt PA would be doing it the wrong way. Ultimately, it's your list and you can do what you want, but that's typically how it goes based on what I've seen online. Being consistent with the usage is possibly the most important thing though (if you don't want to change it). Thanks for adding the one that wasn't already on there though.

Sorry but i think that's lame.

Do you think everyone speaks Italian and knows that IL is a definite article?

When i save my reviews under artist title in my documents it counts the first letter of whatever i type and alphabetizes accordingly.

That means IL GIRO STRANO is under I

That means THE BEATLES is under T

That means that MILES DAVIS is under M

That's the way i operate and i don't care how everyone else does it

That's the beautiful of having my own list, is that it's MY baby!

There are many solo artists from foreign lands that have first names nobody recognizes

How is anyone to know if it's a person's name or an band?

It would be most ideal if archives like PA listed things BOTH ways in the database

That means there would be TWO entries

Such as MILES DAVIS under M and DAVIS, MILES under D

Same with Definite articles with THE BEATLES under T and BEATLES, THE under B

The ONLY reason i made an exception for the English word THE in my lists is because many bands don't use the definite article all the time

THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS are both used

Every other entry is very simple and that is that WHATEVER THE FIRST LETTER IS DICTATES WHERE IT IS FOUND ON THE LIST!

I guess i think like a computer. No chips i promise.

:D

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 17:47
I'm not going to argue with you about this. However, there's no need to get angry and shout about it (all caps is considered shouting). Wink 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 23 2022 at 18:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>