Poll Question: Which of there do you prefer
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [58.06%]
26 [41.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:07
Not an easy choice, but The Lamb gets my vote, just by a hair.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:25
I voted for Genesis' Firth of Fifth in a previous poll. Again against a song of Yes.

Gene Genesis. (Gene means again in Turkish.)

And sis means fog or mist in Turkish. So "gene sis" means "again fog" and it can be uttered as a sentence of dismay, when you wake up and see that the air is again foggy, just like the previous day/morning.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 08:56
Heart Of The Sunrise just for overdoing its quota on intros.  I can also pretty much play the damn thing in my head quite easily. Cinema Show is a beautifully written piece but I feel that the band are 'underplaying' a tad. The instrumental section is just nice but not earth shattering enough for my liking. Would like to have seen it done live, especially with the twin drums.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 09:35
You have to search for very bad things to make me vote against YES
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 13:38
^ Apart from these last 20 years, I'm with you...
No need to comment on the musical qualities of either song, they're both awesome, but my Heart beats just a bit faster with Yes.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 14:43
I guess there has been this poll in the past - but I'm not sure.

As far as I'm concerned, Heart of the Sunrise is one of the top of the whole Yes discography, so it wins with good detachment. 

This song has a truly sensational epic and rhythmic crescendo. 

On the other hand, I consider The Cinema Show an overrated song because, as I have tried to explain in the past, it has an excellent melodic and acoustic start (Hackett and Gabriel always gave fantastic pieces) but the instrumental part is rather didactic, with a solo by Banks showing the limits of his imagination - the most intriguing part is that of Phil Collins. The son after a great start, becomes a too long mini-suite based on technicalities, well done but not very inspired. 

So for me there there is a masterpiece compared to a good song - which is partly a wasted opportunity.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 15:46
Went for Heart of the Sunrise, as I think it is a masterpiece.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 00:41
 Both belong to my favourites by the respective bands, but I pick The Cinema Show over Heart of the Sunrise,
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 04:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Heart Of The Sunrise just for overdoing its quota on intros.  I can also pretty much play the damn thing in my head quite easily. Cinema Show is a beautifully written piece but I feel that the band are 'underplaying' a tad. The instrumental section is just nice but not earth shattering enough for my liking. Would like to have seen it done live, especially with the twin drums.

The Seconds Out version is the definitive version of TCS for me. The instrumental section is incredible.

As for HoTS, I prefer the 1978 live at Wembley version to the original. It sounds more powerful, and I prefer Alan White's drumming.

11:43 here..

Yes 1978
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 21:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Seconds Out version is the definitive version of TCS for me. The instrumental section is incredible.

As for HoTS, I prefer the 1978 live at Wembley version to the original. It sounds more powerful, and I prefer Alan White's drumming.

11:43 here..

Yes 1978

For me, the definitive version of Heart of the Sunrise is the one by ABWH in An Evening of Yes Music. I feel Anderson's vocals were stronger, as well as Bruford's drumming.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 02:38
Heart Of The Sunrise
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 07:27
Heart of the Sunrise, has simply too many notes.. Tongue

I rate Cinema show as excellent.

Heart of the Sunrise is a masterpiece.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12