Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Storchi for Prog Folk (Approved for ExpPost Metal)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Storchi for Prog Folk (Approved for ExpPost Metal)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storchi for Prog Folk (Approved for ExpPost Metal)
    Posted: June 23 2022 at 01:39
Edit 1: Title changed per recommendation.

I'm unsure if this one should be submitted for Eclectic Prog or Prog Folk, so I'm starting with the former, but if someone wants to send this to the Prog Folk team, then that would be appreciated, too. Some people may even consider this metal (the band themselves call it metallic), but I disagree with that assertion, but if someone from Experimental/Post Metal wants to look at it as well, that's fine, also. I wouldn't really call it eclectic enough to be eclectic prog because they aren't as diverse as the other artists there, but the music fits the description on the site, which is why I chose that one, although the only reason I chose prog folk as the second option instead of the first is because they play quite heavily, moreso than Jethro Tull and their contemporaries. Although the similarities with Storchi and Jethro Tull are quite noticeable and the only consistent element of their music is the folky flute, and my top choice would have been prog folk.

Due to similarities with Jethro Tull and Flor De Loto, my first choice would be Prog Folk.

Edit 2: Rejected from Prog Folk -- Requesting analysis from Jazz Rock/Fusion... changing title again.

Edit 3: Approved for Experimental/Post Metal, changed title again for archival purposes

Storchi is an Israeli instrumental quartet from Kibbutz Cabri in northern Israel. Led by flautist Danielle Sassi, daughter of ex-Orphaned Land guitarist Yossi Sassi, Storchi combines rock, metal, jazz fusion, prog, trap, and djent with heavy middle eastern folk elements. Their first album was released in 2019, and they opened for The Ocean Collective in Tbilisi, Georgia the same year in their first concert abroad. Storchi's members were teenagers when the band formed.

Storchi has thus far released two singles, a full-length album, and an EP.

Edited by bardberic - July 15 2022 at 17:43
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 02:45
Listening to Outside now, and the band they almost immediately remind me of are Flor de Loto, who are in PA under Prog Folk. Just like Flor de Loto, Scotchinplay a heavy and revved up folk that sounds like Jethro Tull attempting to justify their Grammy win over Metallica. But as heavy as it is, it never really sounds particularly metal.

I think Flor de Loto could easily exist in Prog Folk or Heavy Prog, but they ended up in Prog Folk. Because the music of Scotchi is so reminiscent of the heavy folk prog of Flor de Loto (though obviously different given one is is South American folk music given a metallic makeover, and the other Middle Eastern).

That said, the other band I am at times reminded of is Indukti, who are in PA under Experimental/Post Metal. But Indukti have always struck me as more of a Heavy Prog band than a prog metal band.

I don’t think there is anything eclectic about Scotchi, and think it is absolutely the wrong genre team to put the band forward to. My first choice would be Prog Folk, and I’ll pass it on to them. If they find it too heavy (which, if Flor de Loto got the green light for Prog Freak, I don’t think should be a problem - but that may have been a different team of collaborators), then it could be moved on to the Heavy Prog team. There is simply not enough metal, I don’t feel, for it to go to the prog metal team initially, but on the very slim chance it is rejected by both Prog Folk and Heavy, then Exp/Post is the last resort.

bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 03:04
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Listening to Outside now, and the band they almost immediately remind me of are Flor de Loto, who are in PA under Prog Folk. Just like Flor de Loto, Scotchinplay a heavy and revved up folk that sounds like Jethro Tull attempting to justify their Grammy win over Metallica. But as heavy as it is, it never really sounds particularly metal.

I think Flor de Loto could easily exist in Prog Folk or Heavy Prog, but they ended up in Prog Folk. Because the music of Scotchi is so reminiscent of the heavy folk prog of Flor de Loto (though obviously different given one is is South American folk music given a metallic makeover, and the other Middle Eastern).

That said, the other band I am at times reminded of is Indukti, who are in PA under Experimental/Post Metal. But Indukti have always struck me as more of a Heavy Prog band than a prog metal band.

I don’t think there is anything eclectic about Scotchi, and think it is absolutely the wrong genre team to put the band forward to. My first choice would be Prog Folk, and I’ll pass it on to them. If they find it too heavy (which, if Flor de Loto got the green light for Prog Freak, I don’t think should be a problem - but that may have been a different team of collaborators), then it could be moved on to the Heavy Prog team. There is simply not enough metal, I don’t feel, for it to go to the prog metal team initially, but on the very slim chance it is rejected by both Prog Folk and Heavy, then Exp/Post is the last resort.

Okay thank you, Nick. Do I need to repost this, or should it just stay up as it is? Am I, or admin, able to change the title to "Prog Folk?"

Edit: Also, I agree with the Prog Folk... Interesting comparison with Flor De Loto, who've I've not heard until now. No, Flor De Loto is much heavier and actually metallic, now that I'm listening to them right now. In fact they were admitted into the Encyclopedia Metallum (MA), who rejected my submission for Storchi on the site for "not being metal enough." They have also notoriously rejected Tool and Between the Buried and Me, so FDL, at least by the administrators at the MA, is considered more "metal" than Storchi, Tool, and BtBaM (the latter two are listed in the PA as metal), with which I absolutely agree. Not sure about the "heavy prog" recommendation, as I wouldn't exactly call this "hard rock," as the heavy prog page states, since the emphasis with the band is the flute and not the guitars.

Edited by bardberic - June 23 2022 at 03:24
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 03:43
If you choose edit for your original post, I believe you are able to edit the thread title too. Just change it to prog folk. You don’t need to do anything, though, as I have already alerted the Prog Folk team. If they reject it as too heavy for prog folk (which I hope they do not), then it will likely go to the Heavy Prog team, of which I am a member, I would like to think if would get accepted there, if not Prog Folk, but again, if the other team members think that there is too much metal sound/style in the band for Heavy, it will be moved to Exp/Post. I will be very surprised if one of the three teams do not accept the band, as they are undoubtedly prog. It is just a case or working out which round circle to fit their square peg into.

bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 03:53

If you choose edit for your original post, I believe you are able to edit the thread title too. Just change it to prog folk. You don’t need to do anything, though, as I have already alerted the Prog Folk team. If they reject it as too heavy for prog folk (which I hope they do not), then it will likely go to the Heavy Prog team, of which I am a member, I would like to think if would get accepted there, if not Prog Folk, but again, if the other team members think that there is too much metal sound/style in the band for Heavy, it will be moved to Exp/Post. I will be very surprised if one of the three teams do not accept the band, as they are undoubtedly prog. It is just a case or working out which round circle to fit their square peg into.

Okay edited
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 07:57
2 out of three group members voted to move to experimental/post metal, hence the subject should change but not sure if I can do that.  Notifying that team

Edited by kenethlevine - July 06 2022 at 07:59
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 12:07
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

2 out of three group members voted to move to experimental/post metal, hence the subject should change but not sure if I can do that.  Notifying that team

I would rather see them in Prog Folk, but if they want to move them to experimental/post metal than that's fine. I frankly think they're better there than in heavy prog. Tool is not technically metal, but they're there as well.

Please let me know when you get ahead of them.

Edited by bardberic - July 10 2022 at 12:10
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 07:33

Upon re-listening to them, I believe actually they could best qualify for Jazz Rock/Fusion, a la Plini.

Edit:
I messaged Man in a Hat to look at Storchi for Jazz Rock/Fusionbdue to their similarities with Plini.

Edited by bardberic - July 13 2022 at 08:45
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2022 at 01:31
They've already been cleared for addition under Experimental/Post-Metal, for what it's worth.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2022 at 12:33
added
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2022 at 15:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

added
Okay Thank you.

Edited by bardberic - July 16 2022 at 15:29
 Post Reply Post Reply