Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progress Through Prog Rock (Game)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progress Through Prog Rock (Game)
    Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:22
Okay. I have a cool and unique game here.

I embed a song here, and then someone else replies to that with a song from a different artist they believe is similar embedding the track into the comment. Then another person responds to them with a track they believe is similar to that one. etc. Let's try to get a long chain going or related songs and see where this thread leads to.

Once an artist has been used, let's try to refrain from embedding them again for a little while, so the thread doesn't bounce back and forth between the same few artists eternally. Let's also try to keep the thread centered around prog - while the artist doesn't need to be on the PA (for example, Avenged Sevenfold's The Stage, or Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell), let's try to avoid artists like AC/DC and Katy Parry to remain oriented on prog. And also try to avoid relating songs like Symphony X's Prelude and Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Night Castle and Epica's Dies Irae (from their Classical Conspiracy Live album) as they are all a rendition of the same classical piece.

For example:
Say the most recent embed is Kansas's "Song for America:"

and the you find Symphony X's "Rediscovery, Pt. II (The New Mythology Suite)" to be very similar, then you should embed it below it:

If you don't see the similarities in these songs, go to the 3:15 mark and the 1:15 mark respectively.

Then someone else thinks that if you like SX's Rediscovery, then they'll like Scardust's Break the Ice:, so they embed it:

which reminds another user of

Renaissance's "Carpet of the Sun:"

etc.

Let's say somewhere along the line, someone embeds Orphaned Land's "The Path, Pt. 1 - Treading Through Darkness:"

and you think the section at starting at 1:37 is very similar to the section at 0:43 of Wilderun's "Identifier," so you embed it in the next comment:

So where shall I start... First song in comment below. None of the artists I have shown above shall be counted as having been used.

For those who don't know how to embed a comment here, you type [ TUBE ]xxxxxxxxxxx[/TUBE], without the space in the first "[ TUBE ]", and with the x's representing the 11 digit sequence of characters at the end of the URL of a Youtube video (it cannot be in a playlist) following the "watch?v="

Edit: Since I've told a ton of embeds slow down a thread, I guess either embed or link a song instead (if it's not on Youtube, then other locations, like Bandcamp, work, too).

I'll also clarify that you would respond with any song of which you are reminded - preferably something similar, but anything you think is in one way or another related (they don't necessarily have to sound identical).

Edited by bardberic - June 24 2022 at 03:01
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 07:24
Let's start off with this classic: Yes - Roundabout

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 09:44
I can't think to anything nearly similar to that masterpiece, so let me joke with the chorus of this song:

Having seen reviews of Duncan Brown on the PA home page, I take the opportunity to embed this side project of him.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 10:24
I think I have a follow up for Roundabout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVKfZk-qXlY
Long live Progresive music!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 10:39
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

I think I have a follow up for Roundabout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVKfZk-qXlY

I’ve never heard that SB song, but it begins in a very “Roundabout” fashion, for sure, before hitting the more expected Gentle Giant vocals.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 10:43
I’m not sure why, at all, but the SB song put this Beardfish song into my mind. Could it just be the beard?

Until You Comply

(Yes, I know how to embed, but too many videos on one forum page make it a b@#&h to load, so I’ve gone for a link instead.)

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 10:48
Nick mentioned Gentle Giant vocals.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 12:38
This thread should be moved to "Just For Fun" forum.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 13:42
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I have to say I disagree with that. The OP has made it clear in the title and opening post that people should try and keep it prog. There are plenty of “just for fun” things in the prog area of the forum, including most prog polls. In fact, you could fairly easily make an argument that everything on the forum is “just for fun”.

For me, the Just For Fun section of the forum is for things that are just for fun and not prog related. If they are kept prog, then it makes sense to me for them to be in the prog section. If this were just one video being posted one after the other with no comment or explanation, it might make more sense to move it, even if all the videos are prog. But the way the thread is going, could well elicit some prog discussion to go along with the videos.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 13:50
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Nick mentioned Gentle Giant vocals.
I did, and you followed with a little nonsense that made me think of Split Enz. The song is made me think if was from their last album, but I couldn’t find a decent YT video for it, and so I decided to go with one of my favourite Enz songs from my favourite Enz album, their 1975 debut, Mental Notes.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 14:26
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

and so I decided to go with one of my favourite Enz songs from my favourite Enz album, their 1975 debut, Mental Notes.
By golly, Mental Notes brings to my mind this U.K. song.

bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 02:42
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

and so I decided to go with one of my favourite Enz songs from my favourite Enz album, their 1975 debut, Mental Notes.
By golly, Mental Notes brings to my mind this U.K. song.

Call me crazy, but there are parts of this song, especially the synth section, that reminds me heavily of Dream Theater's "Octavarium," starting at 12:15.

Alternatively, the violin shredding at the end kind of reminds me of Unlucky Morpheus's cover of Tony MacAlpine's "Hundreds Of Thousands,"if you want a change of pace.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=lU4hn56aaxE

I'll let next replier decide which song to reply to :)

Edited by bardberic - June 24 2022 at 03:04
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 09:56

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I have to say I disagree with that. The OP has made it clear in the title and opening post that people should try and keep it prog. There are plenty of “just for fun” things in the prog area of the forum, including most prog polls. In fact, you could fairly easily make an argument that everything on the forum is “just for fun”.

For me, the Just For Fun section of the forum is for things that are just for fun and not prog related. If they are kept prog, then it makes sense to me for them to be in the prog section. If this were just one video being posted one after the other with no comment or explanation, it might make more sense to move it, even if all the videos are prog. But the way the thread is going, could well elicit some prog discussion to go along with the videos.

I don't like how they moved this into Just For Fun; at least move it into general music discussion; the replies won't appear on the home screen now and the thread will become buried.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 06:36
I don't think anyone can listen to the opening section of Octivarium without going here:

Post Reply Post Reply