Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation, out now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 13:33
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

After one listen I'd put it in the pretty decent to pretty good category. Way better than The Incident, although that's a low bar, so from that aspect alone I'm glad this thing exists. Not really sure why this needed to be PT over another solo album of his (although it is obviously quite different to his most recent solo outputs). But definitely something I will want to listen to again. 

This interview providers some insight

Ah, thanks. I'll give this a watch when I have a momen.t Thumbs Up

Very interesting indeed. I like the part where he said he basically just lied about PT being over. lol

Yeah, I found that interesting too. LOL
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 15:16
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Nope, it stayed decent, and didn’t turn into bloody good Confused

Hi,

From what I have heard off the toob, there are some nice things, including Mr. DD raving about this or that, and in my book making it seem like it is better than it really is. The one thing that none of us can argue about, is the fact that the technical side of the album is outstanding, and it sounds better, however, my thoughts still are that this is a SW album, a lot more than it is a PT album. It may seem like there is more Richard and Gavin in this, but it is a factor that the production seems to make them better and stronger.

It has become too much of SW's ideas and lyrics, and they don't turn me on, and I wonder how much folks are ignoring the content because of the sound of the album, which, again, due to the production is indeed excellent ... but at some point, I think that "music" is a lot more than just "production" and I'm not sure this is as important for SW as it is for fans of the band.

No preferred, or favored, songs ... and maybe I wish that the band was less afraid of the song material and allow itself to create tapestries as it did a long time ago ... how times change, and we don't think that the tapestries meant anything at all anymore.

I would like to enjoy more new music at this time ... I think I have heard too much SW and i don't think I will be purchasing this, unless I can find some used copies on a site or two for a buck or 2. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 09:37
I'm not going to purchase a physical copy as I'm trying to get away from CD's and move towards vinyl. There is of course a vinyl edition but after streaming it on Apple, I feel it's just a tad too underwhelming to warrant the outlay of £25. Also going to pass on the live shows. I saw them on tour just before the release of FOABP and I know it probably won't be better than that.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 11:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm not going to purchase a physical copy as I'm trying to get away from CD's and move towards vinyl. There is of course a vinyl edition but after streaming it on Apple, I feel it's just a tad too underwhelming to warrant the outlay of £25. Also going to pass on the live shows. I saw them on tour just before the release of FOABP and I know it probably won't be better than that.

Yes, that £25 is a huge amount.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 22:32

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

#1 album on some UK chart listing I've seen.......Pretty cool for the prog scene. This for PT and then all the hype around the #1 song with Running Up That Hill and Kate Bush.
The best thing for Kate is she owns all the rights to her songs, she will be getting some really nice royalty checks I have read, I think I read around $250K a week for being the #1 streamed song for the past several weeks.

Yes, it would be wrong to be churlish, and it is a cause for celebration, although I do not think that we are witnessing any significant prog sales revival here. We can hope that it turns some more onto the genre, but Kate was sent to number one on the back of Stranger Things, I think on Notflicks, and Wilson has made quite a big thing on his past couple of albums of building up a fan base which would like his prog meets pop meets modern electronica stuff, and I say this as someone who rather enjoyed those albums, as my reviews confirm. 

Before C/C, their highest chart position was 23, so there is not a massive Barbieri or Harrison fan base out there, but a Wilson one.
I tend to agree with most but I do believe there has been a good chunk of "cult band" status for PT the past 10 years. Many younger fans learning about them and digging into the back catalog. The hiatus allowed these new fans to catch up and as well start to yearn for a new release or a regrouping.
The other music site I go to, there are numerous threads on PT and just the new album thread it is at about 70 pages of discussion. The feeling is most are very excited to have a new release, even though is seems most of these songs are several years in the making. All very positive in their reviews.....I'll be home tomorrow from work travel, so will spin the album on saturday as we have Brit Floyd to see Friday night...

Certainly SW solo albums have helped a lot as well his reputation as a well respected mixing engineer, everyone knows his albums have a very high quality of sound.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 13:09

In 1973 I paid £2.45 for Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies. Now the Bank of England's inflation calculator won't let me enter £2.45 but an album costing £3 in 1973 would cost £26 now at the annual inflation rate, so it's about right. In fact it may be cheap as I'm guessing the PT album is a double?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 01:40
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

In 1973 I paid £2.45 for Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies. Now the Bank of England's inflation calculator won't let me enter £2.45 but an album costing £3 in 1973 would cost £26 now at the annual inflation rate, so it's about right. In fact it may be cheap as I'm guessing the PT album is a double?

Yes, that album price in 1973 is probably equivalent to about £25 now, but it is not a like for like comparison, I believe, because physical music product was very expensive relatively in the 70’s and is relatively cheap now (cds are still on average only about a tenner), and vinyl now is probably seen by many as a niche product given the ubiquity of digital music.

As regards the album length, the standard cd is 50 minutes long. Adding the bonus tracks gives you 66 minutes which probably would give you a double album in old technology, but not in cd terms.

I think, though, we are agreed that it is a tad expensive for the quality of the product Tongue
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 07:06

Yes, that album price in 1973 is probably equivalent to about £25 now, but it is not a like for like comparison, I believe, because physical music product was very expensive relatively in the 70’s and is relatively cheap now (cds are still on average only about a tenner), and vinyl now is probably seen by many as a niche product given the ubiquity of digital music.

Hi,

Actually it depends ... from 1972 to 1982 (I moved away after that!), the majority of albums I got and that Space Pirate Radio got, were IMPORTS and they were all more expensive, and it was at the time between $15 and $20 dollars, depending on where it came from and via which airline, through Venus, or Hawaii.

Personally, I find that "extra" stuff just a chance to take advantage of the excitement and collect the money while it is there and available easily enough, and SW is a record impresario and knows what sells and doesn't sell in his label, even if so much of the stuff is more "eccentric" than it is really good. 

I'm not even looking to purchase the thing. I very much appreciated the much more with it album by MARILLION than I did anything that SW has done ... he doesn't know how to be honest with himself, and instead ends up giving us lectures on what is right for him. Just what we need ... another God!

Confused yet? Beware of advertising!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 01:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Actually it depends ... from 1972 to 1982 (I moved away after that!), the majority of albums I got and that Space Pirate Radio got, were IMPORTS and they were all more expensive, and it was at the time between $15 and $20 dollars, depending on where it came from and via which airline, through Venus, or Hawaii.

Personally, I find that "extra" stuff just a chance to take advantage of the excitement and collect the money while it is there and available easily enough, and SW is a record impresario and knows what sells and doesn't sell in his label, even if so much of the stuff is more "eccentric" than it is really good. 

I'm not even looking to purchase the thing. I very much appreciated the much more with it album by MARILLION than I did anything that SW has done ... he doesn't know how to be honest with himself, and instead ends up giving us lectures on what is right for him. Just what we need ... another God!

Confused yet? Beware of advertising!

but he's been doing this forever. I well remember reading an interview he gave on the future of progressive music at the time of Stupid Dream and he was painting himself as the saviour even then. What I actually respect about him is his professionalism and hard work. As a person less so but then I tend to gravitate to someone like Rick Wakeman (good fun and about 10 times more talented)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 06:16
I had a good listen to the album yesterday and was quite impressed, needs a couple more yet to fully appreciate but I'm liking it so far. If I can find the 10 track version on CD for a sensible price I might even buy it but it seems to be £50-60.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 13:33
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I had a good listen to the album yesterday and was quite impressed, needs a couple more yet to fully appreciate but I'm liking it so far. If I can find the 10 track version on CD for a sensible price I might even buy it but it seems to be £50-60.

I'm in around 5-6 listens and I agree, very impressed with the album. Unfortunately the 3rd elusive bonus song, Love In the Past Tense only appears on the Bonus Disc included in the deluxe edition with BD/5.1/Atmos and not on any stand alone disc.
The is a big bone of contention with many that purchased the "deluxe edition" that does not include all 3 bonus songs. Pretty stupid IMO of them not to include it all, I've heard it was due to this song not being ready at time of pressing the LPs and CDs, poor planning then.

Best to just buy the 7 song CD and down load the 3 bonus songs.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 09:55
Just listened to this the first time on Spotify. I would rate this 7.94602569 out of 10. It seems kind of pricey at the moment, so I'll look for this after the clamor of everyone trying to get it settles. I'm only going to get the standard CD release.

Rats Return is my favorite. A close second is Chimera's Wreck.

Edited by progaardvark - July 06 2022 at 09:55
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 11:26
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Just listened to this the first time on Spotify. I would rate this 7.94602569 out of 10. It seems kind of pricey at the moment, so I'll look for this after the clamor of everyone trying to get it settles. I'm only going to get the standard CD release.

A more exact rating would help.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 12:48
I pre-ordered this off of Amazon, but unfortunately they are telling me that they don't have a delivery date but will let me know when it becomes available.  This happened to me with the new Flower Kings album too, so I ended up ordering a different version.  When I pre-ordered it, the CD was listed at $14.83, but they are now selling it for $27.15, so I guess that I will hold tight and see if I ever actually receive it.  In the meantime, I guess I will need to give it a listen on Spotify.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 14:57
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I pre-ordered this off of Amazon, but unfortunately they are telling me that they don't have a delivery date but will let me know when it becomes available.  This happened to me with the new Flower Kings album too, so I ended up ordering a different version.  When I pre-ordered it, the CD was listed at $14.83, but they are now selling it for $27.15, so I guess that I will hold tight and see if I ever actually receive it.  In the meantime, I guess I will need to give it a listen on Spotify.

Buy from Ken Golden at LasersEdge, dude ships quick and always has good prices.......Bezos has more than enough money.
I buy all my TFK records from Lasers Edge, I've stopped buying from Burning Shed, Kscope, TFK website as the shipping is insane from across the pond. Ken bulk ships from UK and the pricing is good.......

For example on the latest Marillion album, the preorder from their website was like $45 shipping, I bought the album for $30.
I have heard for some reason this PT C/C CD is in very short supply, hence the higher price for it. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 15:01
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I rate it a pube hair higher at 7.94612569 out of 10. 

YMMV
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 15:01
yeah...it was listed on wayside for about two days before it was removed. Doesn't seem to be available anywhere atm, which is quite strange. 

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 17:00

yeah...it was listed on wayside for about two days before it was removed. Doesn't seem to be available anywhere atm, which is quite strange. 

Weird.......I just looked thru Discogs and the CD is only available from the UK and to the US runs about $40-$60 shipped. 
At this point your best deal is to download the non-physical album from iTunes for $10, or some other site......
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 17:08
I don't pay for downloads. I can wait for the CD to appear, or if it was stupidly a one and done thing then I have a sh*t ton of other music to listen to. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 17:44

I don't pay for downloads. I can wait for the CD to appear, or if it was stupidly a one and done thing then I have a sh*t ton of other music to listen to. 
Well like I said, it's on Discogs to buy....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>