Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

20th Anniversary Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20th Anniversary Thread
    Posted: June 26 2022 at 15:10
I don't know the exact day this site was started, but I beleive that it says this site started in 2002, which was 20 years ago. To celebrate this, I would like to invite some of the founders and early members of this server to come on this thread and discuss how it was like in the early days of the site and how the site has evolved over the years. I have only been on this site for a little more than a year, so I would love to hear about how this site was before I came onto the site.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 16:18
Neat suggestion, maybe later for me, too much else going on at the moment --
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 16:22
Oof I'm old.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 17:27
Please chime in Micky and Raffaella!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 20:14
Finding Prog Archives was, and still is, a very happy and joyful experience for me. I come almost every day, to find music, artists, comments, etc. In general, a very positive experience.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 20:24
I registered on 20 July, 2009....this site is great!  It is nice to know all of you, as best as electrons allow! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 22:44
It remains a vital archival source of information. The forum is far less used than it used to be. It drives me round the bend on many an occasion. I would, however, be slightly lost without this site and I am most grateful for some of the extremely nice people I have met.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 00:45
Not old guard, but I've been lurking around for 14 quickly passed years and still passing by now and then. The site started on 29 January 2004 (the day when M@X signed up), but there must have been some sort of predecessor since 2002 according to some rumours I've read.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 01:09
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It remains a vital archival source of information. The forum is far less used than it used to be. It drives me round the bend on many an occasion. I would, however, be slightly lost without this site and I am most grateful for some of the extremely nice people I have met.
Pretty much sums me up as well......Enjoy some of the people I have met, but honestly a large majority of those people have been gone for the past 5yrs or more. 
And to the OP this is where most of the history lies, I think, with so many members that have left the site. I was probably a lurker for 2 yrs before I officially joined in 2009. 
It continues to be a great archival resource.......The forums were so much more alive back in the day.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 02:08
Friede and I joined in 2005 and have some great memories about it, most noteworthy the many "Get Well" messages we received when we had the car accident (that resulted in broken bits for both of us) on our way to the meeting in the Hague in 2006

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 04:11
I joined on January 24th, 2010, and since then, PA has been an important and appreciated way that I can discuss progressive rock with folks that will listen and understand; most of my friends are not into it the way I am, and my family members couldn't care less!
           Most of all, over the years I have enjoyed talking about and sharing my enthusiasm for the music of Triumvirat, and I am grateful to those who have bothered to listen and make comments about it.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 04:56
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

I don't know the exact day this site was started, but I beleive that it says this site started in 2002, which was 20 years ago. To celebrate this, I would like to invite some of the founders and early members of this server to come on this thread and discuss how it was like in the early days of the site and how the site has evolved over the years. I have only been on this site for a little more than a year, so I would love to hear about how this site was before I came onto the site.

you won't find much about the first version of PA. That was before M@X  and Proglucly bought  from a dude in Florida. However, the new Québécois owners kept the dominant colours (Black, Purple & Orange) and some bands contents, but there was no forum or anything of the sort (at least, I think)

The real start (public launch) of PA dates from late January 2004 >> that's as early as you'll find forum posts or review dates

Soooo, depending on your outlook, PA is either almost 20.5 or 18.5 years old. 
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 09:54
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Please chime in Micky and Raffaella!

Thank you so much for remembering us, DrewSmile. I check the forums every day, but these days I tend to look mostly at the General Discussions. My interest in prog - especially new prog - has waned considerably in the past few years, and I feel I have very little to say. However, this site will always have a special place in my heart, and I hope it will not go the way of so many other forums. In spite of the attempts by some people to disrupt the atmosphere, PA is still a remarkably civilized place, and a nice community of people who are connected by their love of music and other good things in life.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 10:25
In the early days I seem to remember there were a lot of ELP threads that caused  general annoyance. After that it settled down to what seems an endless discussion about 'what is prog?'.Wink 
On a negative note too many people have left and that's a concern to me. Don't understand it , I mean where else to go on the net for a discussion about prog? 
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 10:31
I can't help but prostrate myself to those experts and educated people who have helped open a whole HUGE world of music to me--a world far broader and deeper than I'd ever imagined it. To know prog from places like Uzbekistan ("Howdy, From.UZ!"), Belarus ("Hi, Olga and Vitaly!"), Finland ("Where are you, Markus P?"), Argentina ("Hey, Lalo & Catù!"), New Zealand (Jakob! Mice on Stilts!), and even Cuba (Anima Mundi!) has been so far beyond my wildest imaginings--I feel so grateful--and it has all been made possible by this wonderful site.
Then to be privileged to read insider experiences from so many learned, insightful, articulate (and often very humorous) peoplesons! What an honor!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 13:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

In the early days I seem to remember there were a lot of ELP threads that caused  general annoyance. After that it settled down to what seems an endless discussion about 'what is prog?'.Wink

And in the thick of things, there was ThreeFates who bragged about how many liters of spunk from GL she swallowed.

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

On a negative note too many people have left and that's a concern to me. Don't understand it , I mean where else to go on the net for a discussion about prog?

Well the place was always a wild-west free-for-all with plenty of great people but a bunch of severily twisted dudes - who often turned into arseholes (thinking of Velvet Clown)

But yeah, a lot of people I miss around (Easy Livin', Trotsky, Syzygy, Alucard), and plenty ,of others, whose knowledge and love of proressive rock made this place great.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 14:57
Relatively speaking I'm a still newbie around these parts but I can safely say that PA really opened my eyes (and ears) into the vastness of prog and its' many sub-genres. Being able to discuss it in an intelligent manner with people of like mind on these forums is great and I hope that PA sticks around for years to come.

Happy 20th Anniversary! Clap
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 15:29
I joined at the end of 2004, although I did have quite a bit of time off for bad behaviour. It's nice to know that a few of the old guard are still going strong - looking at you, Sean Trane and the Baldies!

Back then there was a lot of time spent winding up ELP and Dream Theater fans (I'm not proud of it, but it was hard to resist), but also lots of reviews of interesting obscurities and overlooked gems.

There were several meet ups with people I met on PA in London, Brussels, The Hague, Canterbury and Carmaux. None of them turned out to be organ harvesters or serial killers, and all turned out to be interesting, well rounded individuals with impeccable taste in music and damned fine company for an evening of food, drink and rather silly behaviour.

The forum is less active than it used to be, but it’s still a fantastic source of information to which I will continue to make sporadic contributions.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 02:22
I joined in October 2004 if I remember correctly. A colleague told me about the site
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 04:05
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

There were several meet ups with people I met on PA in London, Brussels, The Hague, Canterbury and Carmaux. None of them turned out to be organ harvesters or serial killers, and all turned out to be interesting, well rounded individuals with impeccable taste in music and damned fine company for an evening of food, drink and rather silly behaviour.

Strangely enough, that's pretty much what my wife said when I told her I was meeting up with some people from a music forum that I'd never met before - "how do you know they're not axe murderers?".
As you say, they turned out to be interesting people, some of whom I'm still in touch with 16-17 years later, so it's about time we had another London prog curry night Chris.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>