Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

20th Anniversary Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 04:58
I've been visiting the PA database and reading album reviews for about 15 years. But as you can see, I only joined the forum on New Years Day 2018. I did so to contribute to a discussion about whether or not King Gizzard belong to PA (they do).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 05:47
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

There were several meet ups with people I met on PA in London, Brussels, The Hague, Canterbury and Carmaux. None of them turned out to be organ harvesters or serial killers, and all turned out to be interesting, well rounded individuals with impeccable taste in music and damned fine company for an evening of food, drink and rather silly behaviour.

Strangely enough, that's pretty much what my wife said when I told her I was meeting up with some people from a music forum that I'd never met before - "how do you know they're not axe murderers?".
As you say, they turned out to be interesting people, some of whom I'm still in touch with 16-17 years later, so it's about time we had another London prog curry night Chris.

yeah that was a good night although I remember having to deliberately having to ignore a separate conversation about the 'sacrilegious' nature of ELP's Pictures at An Exhibition. I'm glad I stayed out of that one and it remained a pleasant evening lol.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 05:52

There were several meet ups with people I met on PA in London, Brussels, The Hague, Canterbury and Carmaux. None of them turned out to be organ harvesters or serial killers, and all turned out to be interesting, well rounded individuals with impeccable taste in music and damned fine company for an evening of food, drink and rather silly behaviour.

Strangely enough, that's pretty much what my wife said when I told her I was meeting up with some people from a music forum that I'd never met before - "how do you know they're not axe murderers?".
As you say, they turned out to be interesting people, some of whom I'm still in touch with 16-17 years later, so it's about time we had another London prog curry night Chris.

Guilty of being present at all of them 

Yup, that first Prog Curry in Paddington was way too short IMHO, for the last call in London pubs are just too early, IMnotsoHO.  Not saying they should've lasted until dawn, but a little later than midnight. 

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 08:42
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yup, that first Prog Curry in Paddington was way too short IMHO, for the last call in London pubs are just too early, IMnotsoHO.  Not saying they should've lasted until dawn, but a little later than midnight. 

And you were no axe murderer, I'm pleased to say.
I'm sure we could find a pub that's open until the small hours now Hugues.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 13:26
I joined in 2009 but wasn’t a regular until a couple of years later. Made several good friends along the way. Done some time on the genre teams and writing reviews, but lately I just lurk on a couple of threads and occasionally reconnect with friends. Would have been interesting to be around at the start.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 29 2022 at 13:27
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 15:38
I initially joined in 2005 but under a different user name (that shall remain unknown to all except me and maybe one or two moderators). I had some issues with a few people and since they wouldn't ban me I quit. A little under two years after I left, I rejoined with my current username. For the most part, this place has improved a lot over the years (same with PE).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 29 2022 at 16:10
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 22:26

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

And you were no axe murderer, I'm pleased to say.
I'm sure we could find a pub that's open until the small hours now Hugues.

I'm jealous! Every time I try to plan a get-together with anyone from PA they either die, disappear, or COVID locks us down! (Or maybe it's just cuz I really am an axe murdererWink)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 01:18
I miss :

Jody (TheProgtologist), James (Gecko), Lee (Man Erg), Ricochet, The Whistler, Avestin, TonyR, Bob (EasyLivin), Dalezilla, Chamberry, Finnforest, Dean, and now Iain (ExttheLemming).

Anyone who's been here for a long time should check their old PMs starting back with the first ones you received or wrote.   You may see people you forgot about.

Edited by Atavachron - June 30 2022 at 01:35
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 06:13
I enjoy the streamlined PA as it's become over the last 10 years as the there's less wackos. I do miss a few of the old hands but life moves on. I must say that I appreciate everyone's musical opinions here. Except for Sean Trane, who insists that the early incarnation of Renaissance with the ex Yardbirds is better than the Annie Haslam/Michael Dunford led incarnation. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 06:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I enjoy the streamlined PA as it's become over the last 10 years as the there's less wackos. I do miss a few of the old hands but life moves on. I must say that I appreciate everyone's musical opinions here. Except for Sean Trane, who insists that the early incarnation of Renaissance with the ex Yardbirds is better than the Annie Haslam/Michael Dunford led incarnation. LOL

For years I resisted listening to that original Renaissance album--precisely due to my allegiance to the lineup we all came to know and love. But I have recently given it a chance and, from the first, I really liked it. It is a wonderful album with wonderful music--sincerely and expertly constructed by some fine musicians. 

I don't quite understand how the next incarnation decided to hold onto the ex-Yardbirds' original moniker (with that radical change in lineup, I would have changed my band's name), but here we are. Though they are two different entities, there is some consistency in mood and style--and definitely a high standard of music--to both expressions.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 06:50
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

For years I resisted listening to that original Renaissance album--precisely due to my allegiance to the lineup we all came to know and love. But I have recently given it a chance and, from the first, I really liked it. It is a wonderful album with wonderful music--sincerely and expertly constructed by some fine musicians. 

I don't quite understand how the next incarnation decided to hold onto the ex-Yardbirds' original moniker (with that radical change in lineup, I would have changed my band's name), but here we are. Though they are two different entities, there is some consistency in mood and style--and definitely a high standard of music--to both expressions.

Tbh, I think it's a case of apples and oranges. I like the oranges better, but you cant fault someone for liking the apples.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 22:02
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I miss :

Jody (TheProgtologist), James (Gecko), Lee (Man Erg), Ricochet, The Whistler, Avestin, TonyR, Bob (EasyLivin), Dalezilla, Chamberry, Finnforest, Dean, and now Iain (ExttheLemming).

Anyone who's been here for a long time should check their old PMs starting back with the first ones you received or wrote.   You may see people you forgot about.

Good call......I miss as well TheProgtologist, Tony R (winner of the freakiest avatar LOL), Dean (even though we had 'excitable' discussions, although always respectful), Finnforest, QueenByTor (my lady Rush friend), The T and I am many more.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 22:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I miss :

Good call......I miss as well TheProgtologist, Tony R (winner of the freakiest avatar LOL), Dean (even though we had 'excitable' discussions, although always respectful), Finnforest, QueenByTor (my lady Rush friend), The T and I am many more.
I'll add Padraic, Epignosis, Raff and micky to this list.  I know that Raff gives us a visit from time to time, as does Skeletor, but I definitely miss the daily interactions with them.  Heck, I even miss Ivan M.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 22:35
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I miss :

I'll add Padraic, Epignosis, Raff and micky to this list.  I know that Raff gives us a visit from time to time, as does Skeletor, but I definitely miss the daily interactions with them.  Heck, I even miss Ivan M.
Ahhh yes....Epignosis aka Skeletor!! I keep asking him when the new Epignosis release is coming. I too miss Ivan M.
All very colorful discussion we had....
PaulG View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 19:00
     Happy 20th Prog Archives. I recall the days leading up
to the launch of the website there being a progressive rock ring that directed traffic to different Prog websites and forums. I first found Prog archives through this ring. If I recall correctly this was late 2002 or 2003 and a much smaller version was running and the original members who started this site were talking of the launch of the official site late 2003. I recall the launch of the official Prog archives late 2003 early 2004 and all of the excitement.
     The site grew quickly and became quite large at one point. There would be a lot of traffic and people to talk to. Things surely have changed. Seemed there was always a fight between the Prog metal/Dream Theater camp and the classic prog/ELP etc camp. I for one miss this. A lot of good discussions resulted. Goes to show the times were that different with several relatively new genres to progressive music.
     The new names of genres were discussed and created here with very interesting and learned people researching and contributing together inventing these names/genres.   I don’t think we could squeeze a new genre out now. Seemed there was always talk of new genres then. Exciting times for progressive music. I made friends with people from across the globe as I discovered new bands from around the world. Goes to show how music unites us and can be healing.   

Edited by PaulG - July 08 2022 at 13:51
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2022 at 03:19

Another prog curry night is an excellent idea, Alan.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 18:28

I miss :

Those were the days!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12